Things that I like about WC1...

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
1.) It was a shoot 'em up with a very good plot...
-It's not just aliens are out to destroy earth... it involves a very good plot of how the action built up, how the battles were fought. And it wasn't just at the start of the war... it was 20 years later.
-Later on, it was further specified on how the Kilrathi fought and slaughtered other races before attempting to conquer humans, and even books were written about it such as Action Stations and Freedom Flight (both took place around WC1 time or before).

2.) It didn't involve just guns, but also had missiles as well.
-And several types... You had IM-Recs which targeted the ship by sight, HS's which target by heat-signature, IFF's which targeted your IFF signature, and the Dumb Fire, which was just your blind-fired rocket. Each missile does a different degree of damage, and behaves slightly differently. It's not just "light missile, heavy missile, super-duper missile"; they behave slightly differently.

3.) There were more than just one type of gun.
-I don't just mean "Light laser, Medium Laser, Heavy Laser". They had 3 types of guns, Laser, Mass-Driver, and Neutron. And each had their own nuances... the laser had the best range, the Neutron had the biggest punch, and the Mass-Driver had the lowest energy consumption.

4.) There was a wide-selection of fighters
-Not just one or two mind you, but 3 fighters to start off with, and 4 in the end. Each one has it's own set of advantages, disadvantages and nuances of it's own.
-The Hornet's fast, agile with good acceleration, and has a jump drive, but it has practically no missile compliment (only 3). It also looks really cool
-The Scimitar's slow as f*ck, and has decent maneuverability, but has extremely heavy armor and a good set of guns.
-The Raptor's big, but fast and well armed. It's got both Neutron guns and Mass-Drivers. Unfortunately it's maneuverability is lacking, but is still good for a ship it's size. It also has a mine which can be tossed out the back and screw up a fighter in chase.

5.) The enemy fighters are also diverse
-It's not just one kind of bad-guy fighter; there are several, and each have their own advantages and disadvantages and strange quirks on each one.
-The Salthi has exceptional maneuverability which far exceeds any Terran fighter, and has a particular noting for yaw rate. She however has fewer missiles than a hornet, and is otherwise lightly armed. Her armor is worse than even a Hornet. Shields are about the same.
-The Dralthi has an extremely high pitch-rate, it also has a good weapon's layout... however its armor sucks, and shields are okay.
-The Krant's a tad too slow, but it's armor and shields are excellent. It's maneuverability is not bad either, in fact, it's excellent to Terran standards. Special notation to pitch-rate.
-The Gratha's slow as hell, but it's armor's great. It's got mine's so watch out. It doesn't have much missiles though.
-The Jalthi's got a nasty bite with it's guns, missile compliment ain't so bad, same as a Gratha actually. Her main weakness lies in her speed which absolutely sucks and her maneuverability, which isn't much better. She makes up for this with thick armor. Highest in the game actually (20 cm in the front quarter, 17 cm sides, 10 cm rear).

6.) Capships are not just big fighters
-Well they didn't get this exactly right. They did better in WC2 with their phase-shields, but the Capships aren't like in Star Trek with their big phaser-cannons and stuff. They have turrets in Wing Commander like real capital-ships have.
-The capships have different characteristics depending on their category. Destroyers are fast, Cruisers are slower, etc.
-Sizes are realistic... Carriers are biggest, Cruisers are smaller, and Destroyers are smaller yet. Corvettes are the smallest of them all, but they're not Capships... at least in WC2 they're not...
-Capships carry lasers, and other smaller defensive weaponry. Some even carry missiles! Of course despite the fact that they almost always carry lasers, they do not necessarily have to have such armament; they just have the longest range.
-They have less maneuverability than fighters. Significant differences. They also are a lot slower. You can't seriously expect a big carrier to move as quickly as a light fighter.

7.) There are some new ships in WC1 already coming online.
-The Fralthi: A new Kilrathi Cruiser/Carrier. She's a nice design which combines both Cruiser and Carrier. Either-or. She's fast, pretty maneuverable, and has decent armor. She's got missiles, and 6 lasers. A decent armament in any book.
-The Rapier: A new Confed Fighter. She's got the neutron-guns of the Raptor, the Lasers of a Hornet, the 5-missile loadout of a Medium fighter and the Raptor as well, the shields of a heavy fighter, and average armor. Think of it as a combination of a Hornet and a Raptor, with even better maneuverability than a Hornet, Better shields than a Raptor, and the same armor as a hornet, actually much better, but she's no Raptor. She's also got a jump-drive. Her speed puts all Confed fighters to shame... She's still exceeded by some Kilrathi fighters, but who cares, those things are insane anyway.

8.) The actions of your character affect the outcome of the plot.
-If you lose a mission, it could adversely affect the course of the war.
-If you win a mission, it could beneficially affect the course of the war.
-Certain actions produce certain results.
-There is a winning outcome, and a losing out-come, and several inbetween outcomes.
-You can win medals.
-You can get promoted based on good performance. As high as Major.

9.) You have a diverse cast
-You have one chinese (Chen), one japanese (Tanaka), an african-american (Khumalo), a belgian (Devereaux), two americans (Blair, Shotglass), a canadian (Casey), an australian (Ian St. John), and one person not even of Earth (none other than 2nd. Lt. Todd "Maniac" Marshall; he's from Leto, Proxima Centauri IV), this includes 2 women in the cast (Tanaka, Devereaux) not just "American's in Space". You later see a Maori (Etienne Montclair "Doomsday"), another American (Zach "Jazz" Colson), a Russian ("Bear" Bondarevsky), and even an Alien! (A Kilrathi, Ralgha nar Hhallas "Hobbes")... not to mention K'Kai (A Firekkan), also a female.
-Probably a more diverse cast than Star Trek actually...

10.) You get to fly a Kilrathi Fighter!
-That's right, in WC1:SM2 you get to fly a Kilrathi fighter... okay that's a bit far off, since SM2 isn't really the original WC1, but an add-on, but hey, I'm on a roll, and I need 10!

-Concordia

Originally posted by Concordia
1.) It was a shoot 'em up with a very good plot...
Dang, I must've missed that :p. Seriously, WC1 is a great game, but its plot is not really something to write home about.

Anyway, I'm certainly not going to debate the question of why WC1 is great, but I do feel like nitpicking...

9.) You have a diverse cast
an african-american (Khumalo), [...] two americans (Blair, Shotglass),
So, because nobody states otherwise, Shotglass is automatically American? As for Blair, he's from a remote colony world, according to the WCP guide. According to the Confed Handbook, that remote colony world is Nephele - which is not in America :). Khumalo, BTW, is from South Africa, so he's not African-American. All this, of course, doesn't invalidate your point... if anything, it makes for even more diversity.

a Russian ("Bear" Bondarevsky), and even an Alien! (A Kilrathi, Ralgha nar Hhallas "Hobbes")... not to mention K'Kai (A Firekkan), also a female.
Uhhh... I thought you said you're talking about WC1?

Re: Re: Things that I like about WC1...

Originally posted by Quarto

So, because nobody states otherwise, Shotglass is automatically American? As for Blair, he's from a remote colony world, according to the WCP guide. According to the Confed Handbook, that remote colony world is Nephele - which is not in America :). Khumalo, BTW, is from South Africa, so he's not African-American. All this, of course, doesn't invalidate your point... if anything, it makes for even more diversity.

Clearly you don´t know that by the 2500, the Solar System and the colonies are USA

diverse cast
Regardless of Q's nitpicking, this is a very nice touch. :)

Seriously, WC1 is a great game, but its plot is not really something to write home about.
I thought the idea of a story-driven game was quite novel back in 1990, regardless of how good or bad the plot might have been.

No PC stuff please. His nationality was South-African, his skin colour was black.

Why, Knight being South African *is* PC stuff! Now, SNES stuff says he's from Angola... (G) (Yeah, I don't get it, either -- I sort of get the 'family-friendly' edits to SNES WC... but I don't get the Knight thing...)

4.) There was a wide-selection of fighters
-Not just one or two mind you, but 3 fighters to start off with, and 4 in the end. Each one has it's own set of advantages, disadvantages and nuances of it's own.
-The Hornet's fast, agile with good acceleration, and has a jump drive, but it has practically no missile compliment (only 3). It also looks really cool
7.) There are some new ships in WC1 already coming online.
-The Rapier: A new Confed Fighter. She's got the neutron-guns of the Raptor, the Lasers of a Hornet, the 5-missile loadout of a Medium fighter and the Raptor as well, the shields of a heavy fighter, and average armor. Think of it as a combination of a Hornet and a Raptor, with even better maneuverability than a Hornet, Better shields than a Raptor, and the same armor as a hornet, actually much better, but she's no Raptor. She's also got a jump-drive. Her speed puts all Confed fighters to shame... She's still exceeded by some Kilrathi fighters, but who cares, those things are insane anyway.

Huh?!
Jump drive?!
Ok, so you can argue that the first Rapier had a jump drive - in the WC movie (But the movie sucks and I, as well as some others, tend to ignore it), but the Hornet? Jump drive?

Re: Re: Things that I like about WC1...

Originally posted by HammerHead
(But the movie sucks and I, as well as some others, tend to ignore it),

Ignoring it doesn´t make it less canon.

It kind of makes gaps in the WC1 time line - but the timeline is generay screwed up any way.

It still doesn't answer my question -
Hornet...and Jump drive?

The Rapier in the movie and the Rapier II in WC1 are completely different classes of fighters -- the reference to Hornets and Rapier II's having jump drives comes from a scene in Super Wing Commander where we see them jump.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Why, Knight being South African *is* PC stuff! Now, SNES stuff says he's from Angola... (G) (Yeah, I don't get it, either -- I sort of get the 'family-friendly' edits to SNES WC... but I don't get the Knight thing...)

You can say Knight's ethnics make him a "token minority character". Perhaps that's so. But calling someone not born in the US as "african-american" is very strange.

This "something-american" PC stuff probably doesn't exist on WC. Imagine a black guy born in Nephele. African-Nephelam. Or an american indian born in mars... Native-Martian?

Originally posted by Delance
No PC stuff please. His nationality was South-African, his skin colour was black.

Touche, I didn't know that.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

LOL @ PC Stuff :p Cute :)

Originally posted by HammerHead
Huh?!
Jump drive?!
Ok, so you can argue that the first Rapier had a jump drive - in the WC movie (But the movie sucks and I, as well as some others, tend to ignore it), but the Hornet? Jump drive?

The Rapier has a Jump-drive evidenced by a scene in SWC where a Rapier Jumps.

It kind of makes gaps in the WC1 time line - but the timeline is generay screwed up any way.

Yeah, agreed.

It still doesn't answer my question -
Hornet...and Jump drive?

Yup :)

So, because nobody states otherwise, Shotglass is automatically American? As for Blair, he's from a remote colony world, according to the WCP guide. According to the Confed Handbook, that remote colony world is Nephele - which is not in America . Khumalo, BTW, is from South Africa, so he's not African-American. All this, of course, doesn't invalidate your point... if anything, it makes for even more diversity.

Good point. Although, I thought Blair grew up on Earth, and retired on Nephele, I never knew he actually was born there.

Cool, although you are right, the cast is more diverse than I even thought.

And I thought Shotglass was an American because he kind of looked the type. He might have been something else, but I assumed so because he spoke english and nobody said where he was from, so I assumed American. Stupid error on my part (unless I'm right, then I'm brilliantly guessing ;))

I do apologize for any errors I made.

Uhhh... I thought you said you're talking about WC1?

Well, I was, but I was trying to make a point though.

-Concordia
P.S. As for whoever said that Khumalo was the "Token Ethnic-Minority Character", he wasn't: Hobbes was.

Good point. Although, I thought Blair grew up on Earth, and retired on Nephele, I never knew he actually was born there.

umm... no... i cant remember where he was born... but he did NOT grow up on earth... he grew up on Nephele with his uncle... does it ever even mentioning him going to earth??

Well I don't recall off the top of my head where Blair grew up, but he WAS born on earth, WC3 - Victory Streak - Page 3.

Back