Then What Didn't Happen? (August 11, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
After the Maverick Team finished with Secret Ops, several projects were considered and even worked on - Strike Team, Privateer Online... Privateer Online again. Thanks to the Mythic project, we've learned about another one: Shadow Force, a followup to Secret Ops which would have put the player in charge of a team of mercenaries charged with impossible missions. Sound interesting? Then you'll want to read the entire original design document, available for download here (58 mb PDF)!

--
Original update published on August 11, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I had totally forgotten about this one. Unless I am very much mistaken there was some concept art by Feng Zhu done for this project...I remember several character sketches that aren't included in this doc...

Sid Meirs (Miers?) Pirates! immediately came to mind when I read about this game...the upgrades to the ship's weapons, controlling her navigation. It all just fit in my head somehow.

This is quite an interesting game, almost like an RPG Set in the WC Universe and it's a pity it was never seen to completion. I for one would have enjoyed ordering the Cerberus around to get it into battles with other capital ship...

Wow, cool.

At first I was a bit surprised that Confed would hire mercenaries onboard their Cerberus cruiser but then I remembered how many mercenaries there are according to Arena.

I especially like how they wanted to further improve on the in-flight communications because I agree with them, one of the aspects that made WCP so fun to play was all the chatter during a mission.

Though I do not understand why they were so excited about the chase cam view and auto targetting.

Ahhh... yes.. I thought Shadow Force sounded familiar.. As it turns out I was right.. and I even worked on it.. heh.. If I remember correctly, Strike Team kind of morphed into Shadow Force..

I think this was actually more of a 'Pitch Doc' than a true design doc.. but had the project gone ahead, I'm sure this would have been the basis of the 'real' design doc..

Cinco Barnes was the LD, along with Reece, Hal and myself.. not too long after this (I believe) we lost a lot of people when Rod N. started up Bootprint.. and the Maverick Team kind of got absorbed into Andy Hollis' team..

And Taser8 is correct, Feng did a LOT of concept art that would be cool to see again.. character sketches.. ships.. sigh..

Of course.. this was all 10ish years ago.. so.. um.. put an * next to everything I just said.. :rolleyes:

-Capn

Man.. I'm getting good at finding stuff after the fact..

I just found some stuff on CD.. Shadow Force docs.. misc art files.. including some of Feng's ship and character sketches.. some from SF and some not.. inlcluding one of my favorite rarely seen designs for Kilrathi Cruiser..

I'll try and upload some of it later this week..

Man.. I'm getting good at finding stuff after the fact..

I just found some stuff on CD.. Shadow Force docs.. misc art files.. including some of Feng's ship and character sketches.. some from SF and some not.. inlcluding one of my favorite rarely seen designs for Kilrathi Cruiser..

I'll try and upload some of it later this week..

Please share, Please! OH PRETTY PLEASE!!!

I'm getting in the artwork groove again.

Just finished reading it, and I must admit it was very promising. With current technology Id say it could be expanded to work similar to Star Wolves 2.

Here is the Kat Cruiser that I mentioned.. I really dig the style.. its in a folder with a bunch of other sketches and stuff that Feng did, so I assume it is his.. did I mention I dig this ship..?

Working on getting stuff together for an upload.. Loaf, I might need you to remind me of the FTP info.. it may be in my gmail somewhere.. but not sure..

-Capn

Attachments

• K_Cruiser_01a.jpg
    K_Cruiser_01a.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 191
I love the Jrathek and Sorthak maybe? flying around the Cruiser. Style wise it reminds me of the WCIII Kat destroyers.

I dunno, Loaf.. I think the Cruiser has a fairly asymmetrical look, imho.. not totally asymmetrical tho, like most (all?) of the WC3 ships..

BTW, did you intend for me to post the link to the zip file?

-Capn J

Back