Then this happened...

Anybody know what this new show is? All i can gather is that it is titled Star Trek so I'm guessing they are gonna remake the original series? Any news would be appreciated cuz I know nothing about this cept from that short video.

no they've not announced really anything about it. not a cast.. not a setting.. just that it's gonna be on their digital streaming service exclusively

is it really a star trek trailer when it starts out with a 'warp' into hyperspace and batman-esque music plays in the backdrop?

I was thinking it was more like a riff off of the end credits of the first 'new trek' movie

no they've not announced really anything about it. not a cast.. not a setting.. just that it's gonna be on their digital streaming service exclusively
There's lots of rumors going around about how they want to do a different trek era with each new season of the show, but to me it mostly sounds like people extrapolating not existant data from sentences because they have nothing better to do give the lack of any real info.

Kurtzman and Meyer have hinted that the first season will take place somewhere between Kirk's "death" in Generations (2293) and the first season of TNG (2364). Lots to explore there.

Kurtzman and Meyer have hinted that the first season will take place somewhere between Kirk's "death" in Generations (2293) and the first season of TNG (2364). Lots to explore there.

Enterprise B era then? Wonder if they will go that route or focus on a completely different ship and crew?

That's actually the exact era I'm most interested in seeing... if they do it right. To me, that means starting with the visual style of ST6 -- monster maroon uniforms and all -- and extrapolating from there, preferably with a strong bias towards realism. That little teaser is exactly what I don't want to see in the visual language of the show. That shattered planetoid really worries me, and it seems like they really want the font and badge to be edgy when they should be aiming for gravitas. I want to see something that's more 2003 Battlestar Galactica (minus the shaky-cam), less Men in Black. So... I have mixed feelings so far.

Enterprise B era then? Wonder if they will go that route or focus on a completely different ship and crew?

From what I understand it will. Enterprise may be referenced or cameo, but it is supposed to be new stuff entirely. Also that era encompasses Enterprise-C as well, so you can have the whole Klingon/Romulan fracas to play with. Frankly, I hope they go in a new direction.

is it really a star trek trailer when it starts out with a 'warp' into hyperspace and batman-esque music plays in the backdrop?

That's not enough to make snap judgements about. Enterprise began with some crazy crazy music in the intro and not even the words 'Star Trek', and that was some of the best Star Trek ever. When they oversaturated Star Trek with more of the same moral stories and strange new worlds that made TOS/TNG great, we got boring old Voyager. It's been 50 years - any new Star Trek is going to be different than what we're traditionally used to, and that's a good thing. It's necessary to keep the franchise fresh and evolving.

I wasn't making a snap judgment.. the amount of info we have on the new series is miniscule at best. what I was commenting on, however, is that there is no trailer there. it's barely a teaser. it's only purpose is to go "hey, you remember that thing you liked.. well guess what" and then they show you, what, Praxis? and the federation logo. I'm excited about the director but, to speak truthfully, I am having a hard time believing this is a 50th anniversary party when everything is so abysmally low-key.

I wasn't making a snap judgment.. the amount of info we have on the new series is miniscule at best. what I was commenting on, however, is that there is no trailer there. it's barely a teaser. it's only purpose is to go "hey, you remember that thing you liked.. well guess what" and then they show you, what, Praxis? and the federation logo. I'm excited about the director but, to speak truthfully, I am having a hard time believing this is a 50th anniversary party when everything is so abysmally low-key.

We're just gonna have to wait and see. No need to be angry and throw it out before we even have any info on anything.

There isn't anything more they could possibly show. There's no cast, there's no release date - there's obviously no footage except for a CGI logo. It could still be a year away. This is the "save the date" that goes out before an engaged couple has even picked where they want to get married. And being skeptical about it based on that teaser is like doubting the marriage will last based on the quality of the card stock that your notice was printed on. :)

I get that but for the 25th anniversary there were conventions all over everywhere and I still have my "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" VHS which not only showed clips of the currently running TNG, but also showed clips from the upcoming "the undiscovered country" had interviews with a bunch of cast members and even had LeVar Burton give the viewer a brief introduction to space camp for some reason. My point is during that anniversary they were generating excitement. I remember the 25th anniversary well.. it's one of the things that kept me sane when my mom died in that same year.

This anniversary is proving that CBS and Paramount are just dealing with a gorilla they have no idea what to feed and it is all fantastically depressing.

I'm not saying the new show might not be great.. I'm not saying that Star Trek: Beyond might not be great.. I'm just saying that they sure don't seem very excited about their own IP.

From what I understand it will. Enterprise may be referenced or cameo, but it is supposed to be new stuff entirely. Also that era encompasses Enterprise-C as well, so you can have the whole Klingon/Romulan fracas to play with. Frankly, I hope they go in a new direction.

Agreed, but what I'm getting at is that it is more likely to be set in the earlier part of that timeline, if the rumours about the setting turn out to be true. I wouldn't mind at all, we know very little about what happens in those years. Enterprise-C is famous in its own right thanks to the events of "Yesterday's Enterprise". All we know about Enterprise-B is that it was Excelsior class and the really important parts are coming next Tuesday...

Last edited:
This video has almost nothing to do with the show; it's something a marketing intern put together so there'd be a visual at CBS' annual upfronts presentation. (In fact, it's done with the same After Effects plugin and set of stock Hubble imagery we use for 'Reverse the Verse' motion graphics when we don't want to spend money for something good!)

(Which, by the way, highlights exactly what's wrong with Star Trek: neither CBS nor Paramount have any idea how to sell their respective version. Someone put this together, thought it looked so cool and therefore Star Trek fans would love to see it immediately... and the folks behind the show are just a bit embarrassed.)

The LOAF has spoken! Some insider knowledge on display there, Ben? Yeah, you're probably right. I had no real beef with the teaser, tbh, and most of my Trekkie friends seem to like it. We're all just excited about the prospect of a new show.

If nothing else, it got me on a TNG watching spree.

Back