Then this happened...

DefianceIndustries

Rear Admiral
CBS announced a new Star Trek series set for January 2017. Good time for sci-fi/space opera fans, what with Star Wars getting a new movie and potential spin-off. I personally think Trek always did better on the small screen. Either way, I always had a soft spot for Trek.

Over a year away still but... it's about time! Trek belongs on TV. Sure, I'm apprehensive about what direction/era/timeline they will decide to go with, but something about Trek on TV where it belongs (and from where it's been sadly missing for so long) is comforting.

I wish I could be positive..But Sci-fi shows are expensive to produce, and unless the show gets 100% of the viewers it gets cancelled :p

I too will attempt to remain positive - though as an old-school Trekkie, I'm not particularly enthused to hear that the producer is one of the folks involved with the "new Trek" movies.

I too will attempt to remain positive - though as an old-school Trekkie, I'm not particularly enthused to hear that the producer is one of the folks involved with the "new Trek" movies.

Yeah but as a producer Kurtzman did Alias and Fringe, both decent efforts. its when he's writing that we get Transformers. it's a mixed bag especially since its slated only to go to CBS' streaming service (hello extra charges) but for now I'll be cautiously optimistic.

I've had a life-long love of Star Trek, but I'm finding it very difficult to get excited about this. I'm not enthused about Kurtzman being attached. (I never saw Alias, but I saw the first season of Fringe, and that doesn't bolster any confidence.) I'm looking forward to J.J. Abrams's take on Star Wars, but he and his crew were not a good choice for Trek. If the new series ties in to the current movies, I'm not interested.

I agree. The new Trek series ought to have all-new characters rather than reboots of existing characters. The Abrahms movies try to step into the shoes of the old characters, and that turns off all of the fans for whom Shatner is the true Kirk, Nimoy the true Spock, etc.

A very mixed reaction from me...

On the one hand, Star Trek yeah!
On the other, the people behind it were integral for the reboot movies which were fun movies with excellent direction from Abrams but they had such a flat script and utterly broken logic. Those were fun action-blockbusters and not Star Trek!

I am not expecting much at this point, however as long as it is not abysmally bad, more Sci-Fi Space Opera stuff on TV is always a good thing. I will probably just have to pretend that the series is not called Star Trek. I would like to see a return to the humanistic approach of TNG, which in my opinion was the best Trek had to offer. And as several brilliant episodes showcase, that does neither clash with impressive action, tense and thrilling stories nor deep emotional stories. What I will probably get is a young-attractive-people-blast-aliens-and-have-sex-with-the-attractive-ones-kind-off show...

I'm not sure if I'm happy about this or not.

TNG was my intoduction to start trek and I was a propper trekkie, DS9 was good, I loved Voyager, but couldnt stand enterprise. I have sadly never watched the original series properly. It will certainly be interesting to see what they do, but I do hope that they do not try to re-invent old characters or re-write history as in the most recent films.

I would most like to see a fresh start with something set after voyager, then old characters can be brought back for little apperances.

It is a difficult genre to do right, there have been many different series over the years and numerous spin offs - star gate is perhaps the most obvious.

I think the only one that has survived the test of time and has mostly got it right is Dr Who, although that did have a number of years off the tv screen as well some re-writing ( i remember the doctor could only regenerate or so 7 times, now he's done more than that.)

I suppose its not supprising about a star trek revival what with the the x-files revival on its way.

I'll join the cautious camp as well. Been watching Trek for decades, and I have mixed feelings about a new show. We'll have to see how it turns out...

Im very curious and will withhold praise and blame until I see a fuller announcement.

But its damn good to see Star Trek back in production!

I wish I could be positive..But Sci-fi shows are expensive to produce, and unless the show gets 100% of the viewers it gets cancelled :p

I really enjoyed watching Defiance, sad that it ended after 3 seasons.

It seems odd that good sci-fi shows like Firefly & Farscape gets canned when so many awful shows just go on and on..

If I had to guess, sci-fi shows that I like a lot, Babylon 5, Jeremiah, Defiance didn't do too well due to lacking in "mass appeal". But that's why I liked those shows. The more "mass appeal" a sci-fi show has, the worse it is for me..

I really enjoyed watching Defiance, sad that it ended after 3 seasons.

Dont tell me that, I have been awaiting the third series on tv for some time now (yes we're abit behind in sweden)

And talking about tv series lacking mass appeal - I always hoped for a second series of Space Above and Beyond.

Dont tell me that, I have been awaiting the third series on tv for some time now (yes we're abit behind in sweden)

And talking about tv series lacking mass appeal - I always hoped for a second series of Space Above and Beyond.

Yeah that one ended on cliff hanger. I always wondered what happened.

What I will say with most Sci Fi shows is that they take a bit to get a feel for their characters and the direction of the series. I mean the first season of TNG was pretty lackluster. There was a bunch of rehashed plots from the TOS and the characters weren't fully developed. Not to say that there wasn't a good episode in there, but overall compared with season 3 onward, it was pretty bad by comparison. Really, a serialized Sci Fi show needs at least two seasons to really get going. So hopefully CBS will stick it out a bit on this one.

I am torn.
I disliked Enterprise. I could stand the two new movies but I would have preferred something different.
I loved TNG, DS9 and Voyager. More of that would be nice.

Back