the website?

Cyberion

Master of Orion
does Wing Commander: Universe need a website?

A friend of mine is willing to work on it. Here is his 2 year old work, now he is much better ;) but still its amazing ;) http://www.libertyconf.go.ro/

That's the site of Liberty Confederation (from a mod for Freelancer) that was our site ;)

we can make an amazing site ;)

[EDIT]: forogt to name him, his name is Zalmodegikos.

My personal opinion: absolutely, provided your project is going to interact with either 1) the public or b) each other.

For the group, forums provide a good way for immediate communication, but they suck for actually organising information. Stickies only go so far.

For the public, there really is, again, in my opinion, no other way to present information.

-thehawk

I would steer away from a Flash Oriented site though, that's really client dependent and I've found that most of the time the people who filter through my sites don't have flash enabled, which is a problem. Plus some of them use pesky firefox, which means that they can't even download and install the plug in (Unless that's been fixed since my version of Firefox).

The same goes for Java, they do produce some nice effects, but if even one person is missing the necessary software it can ruin the whole experiance. An alternative is to do a site with flash and one with plain html.

But I think this project DOES need a website. Every other fan project has a website, it's a prerequisite or something. I wonder if it's in the fan-project FAQ...

I have to agree with the little or no flash options.

Usurp is such a strong word *grins* Besides, how many times has it been said that P:R != WCU ?

-thehawk

Privateer Remake is a Privateer Remake. WC:U is a global game in wing commander universe based on Privateer Remake. You aren't limited by Privateer plot or ships or anythings. You are a real Privateer, who may travel to any sector of space, travel through Wing Commander Universe

well it's not even a game but a HUGE mod for Privateer Remake. But its hugeness allows to call it a game.

Cyb.

Firefox utilizes flash. It downloads it automaticaly first time it detects flash content. or it popus a window i do nto remember right now. Also do nto forget that in that case there should be a title page in html which will inform people that the site uses flash and it will offer the links to download the flash. So that isn't a problem guys. Just stay tuned. Zalmodegikos should pop up here soon i guess with something ;) he is a master ;)

Personaly WC:U needs organising. It's a very fragmented now. It has no informational core. On the site, i'll try to provide the progress, downloads, screenshots and everything that Spirit desires ;)

@Spirit: as i'm a beta-tester for that game i show you "Metalheart" i have some nice orginising ideas. i'll PM you soon an Excel form where you may write down the progress. What was done, what was fixed and so one with example there. That way people and you will track down the bugs, the status and everything easily. + every time there is a new stuff it will easily popup on the site, so others may see it ;)

I don't see why you people are so against flash.
Oh, and Firefox worked well with the flash plugin from 2 versions ago.
Maybe some people will not instal flash for this project, but at one point or another they are going to get the missing plugin message. Even banners are now made in flash. I don't see anyone surfing the net to long without bumping into flash, I mean they could intentionaly ignore it but why refuse so much just for a few KB ?
Good web animation is the future of the internet.
So is this website going to happen, I ask you the users ?

If there's a flash person with time on his or her hands, I think the community could really benefit from a flash version of the Wing Commander universe maps! Clicking on a system could highlight the jump lines and provide detail as to what we know about that praticular portion of space.

I generally don't like elaborate flash websites.

They look nice. They look really nice - for the first 5 or so visits. Then, it just gets annoying.

Still, if his skill with flash says anything about his website development skills in general, I think it would be a great idea.

Also, I think that Bandit LOAF brings up an awesome suggestion. The sector maps currently available for WC are horribly annoying - a flash representation would work wonders.

Yeah -- I did what I could for the WCU Maps... got the facts out there -- but now a professional artist should make them look good.

Yeah, if you could get a prettified Gemini Sector map out, Reckoning would be forever in your debt* as well

*Not applicable in California, New England and parts of South America.

Side note on Flash - I don't even download the Flash plugin, as for some strange reason, not a single annoying Flash based advertisement works on a machine without Flash installed.

You guys are a racket. Never have I seen so many anti-flash thoughts at one place.
So your saying you don't install it because of the banners using it ? lol
"They look really nice - for the first 5 or so visits. Then, it just gets annoying."
I don't know where you got this mentality, maybe you have never seen a Good elaborated profesional website. If you Like something it should be for it's looks and ease of use, and I don't see these, just like that, becoming annoying. Maybe you get bored very quickly but I don't see the fact that the website is in HTML changing anything.
So please make up your mind. I will work on this website only in flash so it will ether be or not. If you would like the maps, then I could work on those and abandon the website idea.

not to say anti-flash...

flash is nice but i would say its not nice to overuse it...

using flash for maps is a brilliant idea... but i wouldn't suggest flash as website's backbone...

So no full website.
The maps seem resonable, so tell me more about them.
And how about a stand alone application for those maps ? Or do you want them to be only on the internet.. or maybe a stand alone application that checks over the internet for updated maps and downloads them or uses the ones on your system ?

So, is it going to be a navmap program ?
- stand-alone application, no special requirements, should work on Windows, Linux and Mac, no interference with the registry or any system dll files
- internet update feature
- extensive search feature
- maybe use an on-site-generate feature for small update files
- maybe don't use flash at all and use opengl or something similar to generate the 2d map

Cyberion said:
Privateer Remake is a Privateer Remake. WC:U is a global game in wing commander universe based on Privateer Remake. You aren't limited by Privateer plot or ships or anythings... [snip] well it's not even a game but a HUGE mod for Privateer Remake. But its hugeness allows to call it a game.
Be careful of the lies you spread. WCU is not a PR mod, even though currently it installs like one (unzipping content on top of the PR install.) PR was in fact spawned from WCU. The WCU creators do not like such misinterpretations of the WCU<>PR relationship being spread. PR is more like a subsection of WCU that gets distributed separately.

So no full website.
The maps seem resonable, so tell me more about them.
And how about a stand alone application for those maps ? Or do you want them to be only on the internet.. or maybe a stand alone application that checks over the internet for updated maps and downloads them or uses the ones on your system ?

I think a flash based website is the ideal solution to the maps.

Here's the current versions:

https://www.wcnews.com/maps/

Basically, I think it'd be great to click on a system and have it higlight the jump lines and provide data. What planets are there? What in Wing Commander has happened there? Where did the name come from? That kind of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back