the website?

I've seen somep pretty impressive flash sites...unfortunately I have to agree with the conclusion that after 5-10 times it gets old and you get tired of the load times or the annoying bleeps and sound bytes etc. However a flash version of the WC map would be downright incredible, I'd love to see that.

Bandit LOAF said:
I think a flash based website is the ideal solution to the maps.
Here's the current versions:
https://www.wcnews.com/maps/
Basically, I think it'd be great to click on a system and have it higlight the jump lines and provide data. What planets are there? What in Wing Commander has happened there? Where did the name come from? That kind of stuff.
so you only want in on internet, so be it.

what do yo mean by "a system" for those maps ?

why are there two maps ?

what functions would you like for this website-nav-map ? I expect search would be a an interesting feature.

oh and I hope this comunity has already all the necesary information...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to do a website hey, please do! :D As for the navmap... Just making it scrollable would be great. Also clicking on a jump point should center to it.

As far as Flash, I don't mind it one bit but the page should be accessible to non-flash browsers too.... that's all I humbly ask.

and, thanks in advance!!!! :)

so you only want in on internet, so be it.

Well, I think it'd be most useful on the internet.

what do yo mean by "a system" for those maps ?

Each colored (blue/yellow/red/etc.) point is a system (star).

why are there two maps ?

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean.

what functions would you like for this website-nav-map ? I expect search would be a an interesting feature.

oh and I hope this comunity has already all the necesary information...

A search function would be excellent. Another interesting thing might be a route-plotting system... input the names of two systems and have it show you what the route is.

I have the necessary information -- we should start with a demo of one sector, though, to get the look and feel right.

Bandit LOAF said:
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. [1]
A search function would be excellent. Another interesting thing might be a route-plotting system... input the names of two systems and have it show you what the route is. [2]
I have the necessary information -- we should start with a demo of one sector, though, to get the look and feel right. [3]
[1] two maps: 'Original Maps' and 'Armada Maps'. Why are there two ?
[2] 'route-plotting system'. gona take some work but can be done.
[3] I'll start planing the basics. it wold be realy nice if I knew exactly the number of menus. so till now we have: 'map', 'search', 'route-plotter'. anithing else ?

[1] two maps: 'Original Maps' and 'Armada Maps'. Why are there two ?

Oh, the Armada Sectors are just more parts of the universe that aren't connected to the larger map. If we were modelling them like a galaxy, they would e "on top" of the current map. (So, maybe in the flash version there'd be an option for going 'up' and 'down' a layer.)

[3] I'll start planing the basics. it wold be realy nice if I knew exactly the number of menus. so till now we have: 'map', 'search', 'route-plotter'. anithing else ?

Well, we'll want a text box of some sort in which we can put facts: type of star, number/types of planets and bases, list of jump points, etc.

I'm not sure what else -- suggestions, people?

Let's see if I can come up with a generally acceptable list.

First Menu button would be 'Map' so that you can switch back to it.

I think that the default display for it should be an entire sector (4 quadrants), no more. Users should then be able to indicate preference for viewing the entire map, or focusing on individual quadrants of each sector. That's critical, otherwise the loading time will be unbearable. So that gives you two buttons: Move Up/Down (working names).

As far as the Armada maps go...if we're uncertain about how they fit in spatially with the Original maps...let's leave them out until we can make that determination (less confusion for all parties involved).

There's a search function, which should be able to search on the following levels:

1. Search for a system
2. Search for a planet
3. Search for nearest planet of type 'z' (this is optional actually, and it would
require the user to somehow indicate a system of origin

All three of them will display results in a text box, and focus on the target system.

The search information yielded should be as follows:

1. List of all navpoints, organized into: Planets (including planet class), and
Jumppoints
2. Points of Interest - specific information about significant planets or
locations (such as the site of a battle, or a sector capital). Information on
the startype and which faction is in control of the system.

Next there is talk of a route-plotter, which in my opinion detracts somewhat from the explorer/adventurer aspect of the game (I enjoy tracing out my own jump routes, even if they are sometimes not the shortest). Still, I sense that most people here like it and would appreciate that sort of function. So the route-plotter would be another menu button. And that's about as NPOV (see Wikipedia) I can be on it, but I'm sure you don't need the details as yet.

So in conclusion, here's a rough schematic:

Map
Up / Down
Search
Route Plotter

Honestly, there really isn't too much we need in terms of different function items. Spirit took the words right out of my mouth when she said "Just make it scrollable and it'll be great." Err...soft-scroll that is (how do you refer to scrolling that doesn't involve clicking the scrollbar?).

And, when I look at the existing maps, Bandit's got it pretty good in terms of information availability. Sorry about that Bandit, your maps aren't as "horribly annoying" as I thought - they are actually quite informative and serviceable (only additional function I'm interested with the flash is the soft scroll).

Eh, the maps are detailed -- but they're ugly as sin. I'd give my left arm to see a pretty, interactive version.

First thing at hand: Vectors, read it, remember it. No unbearable loading times because all the map items will be generated when the website is accesed. Also you can zoom at them as much as you like.
About the smooth scrolling function. What about something like: http://www.airsho.com/navmap_semichigan_main.htm . The mini-navmap could be dockable. + The posibility to scroll the main window by moving the mouse in the according direction with according acceleration.

Zal said:
No unbearable loading times because all the map items will be generated when the website is accesed.

Alright, if you say so. Currently, the maps are presented as quadrants (1/4th of a sector), so I was actually upping the scale. My only concern was that when you view the "full map" it's a pretty big map...took some time for the graphic to load. Now, I don't really have a problem waiting for the entire map to load if that's really what I want to look at - but rarely will you ever need to look at the entire map. If you're simply looking to establish trade routes or to find places you need to visit, you'll typically only need to look at a quadrant map (a sector at most).

I guess it's a minor point, and I don't care enough one way or the other to argue with an expert. If you think that one large map would work better, well, the more (systems) the merrier I say :)

Zal said:
About the smooth scrolling function. What about something like: http://www.airsho.com/navmap_semichigan_main.htm . The mini-navmap could be dockable. + The posibility to scroll the main window by moving the mouse in the according direction with according acceleration.

Well I was thinking about something more along the lines of Google Maps, but the mini-map idea is really cool (especially if you're going to be navigating a large galaxy map). I'd like to be able to move around on the larger screen as well, though (don't know why this particular guy didn't allow for that...I guess maybe the map was so small he didn't need to). Click + Drag works well for map movement, but so does double-click to re-center, or side-scrolling (moving the cursor to a corner to initiate steady, smooth movement...someone please tell me how I should refer to it, there's probably a term but I just don't seem to know it...and I should probably kick the habit of writing entire parenthetical paragraphs). I'm a lazy bum, so I like not having to do any clicking (and therefore prefer the third choice), but mayhap the first two give you more control.

Eh, someone else pipe up so I don't feel like a bratty user dictating my wants to the developer :)

Anyway, no more comments from me - I'm off. Was supposed to be preparing an informative presentation on fuel cells, but they'll have to settle for simply 'adequate.' Maybe I'll print out that sector map and teach them all about the Wing Commander Universe. I'm sure it's relevant.

oooo pwetty map! :D

seriously ^^; if you want to make a website.... that rocks, just PLEASE don't succumb to featuritis, kitties on modems should be able to at least look at it. Or if you want to go full bling make a low bandwidth version :)

One thing I'm going to ask you not to do is put my picture on it, we don't want to scare away customers.

Just saw the Dakota system... madness!
Here is how I wanted the map generation process to work:
I have 3 files: one for the interface, one for the systems and one for the lines

the 'systems' file lookes something like this:
Code:
systems = [
'name1 > 100,100 > terran', 
// meaning that there is a system named 'name1'
// situated at point x100 and y100 on the global map
// and that it is under the Terran Confederation 
'name2 > 300,100 > union',
'name3 > 300,300 > free',
'name4 > 100,300 > grovsner'
];

/*
Terran Confederation > terran
Kilrathi Assembly of Clans > kilrathi
Union of Border Worlds > union
Free Republic of the Landreich  > free 
Grovsner Colonies > grovsner	
Tri-System Confederacy > tri-sys
Oasian Neutral System > oasian
Firekkan Planetary Alliance > firakkan
Unexplored System > unexplored
Nephilim Wormhole Point > nephiliam
*/

and the 'lines' file:

Code:
lines = [
'nume1 > name2.jump, name3.jump, name4.scy',
'nume2 > name3.scy',  
'nume3 > name4.chary',
'nume4 > name1.jump'//meaning that a there is a jump line from name4 to name1   
];

/*
Jump Line > jump
Pulsar Jump Line > pulsar
Scylla Jump Line > scy
Charybdis Jump Line > chary
*/
the program will then read all these values and generate the map
there are many advantages to this method: no large loading times, graphics for each system/line type are very easy to modify because I only need to modify one graphic (we could use a picture for each type, it's also very easy and eficient), you can zoom in/out as much as you like because vectors are fully scallable etc.
the only disadvantage I can think of is that this data will have to be gathered manualy. but I think if 10 people take one sector each, that they can finish in a couple of hours. after all the data is in place I can model the graphics to my desire.

so, what do you think of this method ? do you want different graphics for all those systems and lines ?
speak up if you want to see this project finished.

If I am reading that lines file corectly, some of that information can be ripped right out of the wcuniverse.xml file.

-thehawk

well Spirit as i promised - http://www.cyberionsystems.com/WCU/website/index.htm

now i need the feedback on the work. Especial concerning the credits section.

Also will add screenshots and downloads later today or tomorrow got to get some sleep ;) Do not be hursh i did what i could, in time the site will be enchancing, just can't do everything in 3 hours ;)

could you PM me the link to all files that is currently needed to launch WCU? even WCU itself. if you could write small description of evey file you PM, that would be cool, cause i'll create a database on the site to track down the version number and updates ;)

Cyb.

Great work and great layout!

I think it's spelled "construction" rather than "constraction"....

Files needed:

(1) Privateer Remake 1.0 of course
http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/privateer1.0.exe
(2) The data file -- 20mb download, static.
http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-data.rar
(3) The data update file -- not there yet, but it will be from tomorrow on.
http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-data-update.rar
(4) The code file -- 500k download.
http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-code.rar

If you want some screenshots and the TODO file, they are at

http://spiritplumber.dynip.com/textures/

could you describe what for people need (what they are doing/giving):
  • The Data file
    The Data update file
    The Code file

???

Data file: Mostly contains ship textures and models. It's a fairly big download (20mb) and you only need to get it once.

Data update file: Contains whatever extra textures/images/etc. were added after the data file was declared "big enough". It will be maybe 5mb when we are all done.

Code file: Contains systems, wcuniverse.xml, units.csv and so on. It's a separate file because it gets updated much more often than the data file.

This is a way for people to get the big download once, then only have to update the small download basically :)

spiritplumber said:
Data file: Mostly contains ship textures and models. It's a fairly big download (20mb) and you only need to get it once.

perfect ;) until we get all ships look amazing, than we will repack the Data file with all ships and textures, etc. I mean for the final elease. Cool, updating the site right now, you will love it ;)

ohh forgot to say, i'll be converting that excel status file into website, will take plenty of time, but will look great ;) just do nto forget to tell me when you add/fix/update a new stuff there, so i may change the webby ;)

also what do you think shall we ask CIC (solsector) for hosting the website? that way you and I will have access to it? I'll be able update the site and you monitor, upload files, well do everything besides the website?

also no headache with such a long name we have right now www.cyberion......../.../.../../index.html ;)

or we may purchase the domain for 9$ per year?

But i would rather go for solsector. So what do you think?

Back