The WC4 'Price Of Freedom' Movie Project

Okay, I'll go ahead and chime in. :)

I also really liked the WC3 movie, and did feel that the WC4 one was a bit lacking. However, no reason to beat a dead horse here, beacause you already said you are addressing that. So, great :)

I think the movie needs a few more action scenes, to be honest. I did like the way you incorporated the in-flight speech, but the attack on the vesuvius, for instance, needed a fight scene. Otherwise, it just feels to rushed.

I did miss having Catsnatch...er catscratch :)

That's all I can think of for now...

Best of luck on your next edit!

Here here! I'm with everyone on this one. Bringing out a director's cut (or shouldn't it rather be editor's cut?) will please the hungry masses.

One thing I agree with other members here is the comparison they make between WC3 and 4, and that the third one flows better: I think I know why, because WC3 was pretty linear in the storytelling, you have the intro, some cutscenes, briefing, mission, cutscenes, briefing, mission, cutscenes, etc. Not a whole lot minor plotlines besides the main one, except for every character's personal story. But they all contributed to the main storyline too at the same time.

WC4 has a much more complicated plot, more characters, so to make it flow coherently will take some effort and luck. Can't really make any suggestions, you will have to see for yourself what works best.

You decided to include most of the mission combat in 3 so that's what I was expecting and missed in number 4. I would still include many more combat missions in 4, at least the ones that are vital to the progress of the plot. And yes: that includes Catscratch (well I'm a sucker for the poor boy).

And please oh please, include the bit about the planet (name?) with the deadly virus. Those images haunted me more than then years ago, I think they have earned a place in your final cut.

So enough ranting... ehrr suggesting. Will let you work in peace. Take care and if you ever need clearance to land after a long session of cutting and pasting, we're here to guide you home.

CHEERS. OVER AND OUT.

Wow, i've just discovered your wonderful work Queeg, your work on the WC3 movie has made me remember these games wonderfully. I loved the WC3 movie, but I think I'll wait until you get around to releasing an extended version. WC4 is just too big to cut, plus I don't mind watching a long movie.

Good luck, and thanks for revitalizing an old game series for me.

Hello everybody, just to clarify I am still reading all your feedback and it's really getting the ideas flowing :D. The virus planet will definately be included and I don't think you shall be too disappointed with the new mission stuff ;). Anyway I don't want to post anymore missions as that will spoil it later. However, there is something I have been working on the last couple of days which you may like to see.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hl6oen

This is a remake of the Kilrah explosion scene. It's a little tacky but I am quite pleased with the results. This won't be in the film but it is an example of the improvements for the ingame footage I have planned :). Please let me know what you think if you get a chance to see it.

Excellent, just finished re-watching your WC3 movie again, the extended 2 hour one, really good stuff, I have high hopes for your WC4 one, am downloading it now. Just finished downloading your Kilrah 'remix', so will watch it and post some opinions. Keep up the good work!

The improvement in quality in that clip is quite exceptional compared to the original, although you're right in that it's somewhat tacky looking. But as a demo of the improvement, it really is impressive. Keep up the good work, can't wait for the extended version of WC4!

By the way, I'm trying to download your current WC4 movie, however nobody's seeding at the moment :( hopefully someone will get back seeding again soon!

The improvement in quality in that clip is quite exceptional compared to the original, although you're right in that it's somewhat tacky looking. But as a demo of the improvement, it really is impressive. Keep up the good work, can't wait for the extended version of WC4!

By the way, I'm trying to download your current WC4 movie, however nobody's seeding at the moment :( hopefully someone will get back seeding again soon!

Thanks, I thought it might come in handy for a flashback but I think there are more than enough references to WC3 already anyway. I seeded the WC4 torrent for a while, let me know if it gets slow again.

On Movie progress I've almost completed adding all the extra DVD footage. The extended movie is so far up to 2:45, thats without the extended missions and extra mission footage. So the final length is going to be pushing 3 hours, yet it's still shorter than Lord of the Rings :p . Anyway, first mission has already been re-cut and the film will hopefully be complete in the not too distant future ;).

Anyway I really have high hopes for this film and hope you won't be disappointed :).

Alright everybody, final movie length is 2 hours and 56 minutes, so just under 3 hours. The final AVI has been encoded and the size comes to 2gigs. It'll probably take me a couple of days to put it on the internet so for now I shall just list the main changes in the film.

Changes in the extended cut:

Almost a whopping hour of extra footage (previous plot holes filled)
Several extra ingame missions
All ingame missions extended with improved graphics (along with some sound remixing)
Video quality increased (video de-interlaced and higher bitrate)
Credits music jazzed up a bit

Well you get the general idea, there are significant improvements in the story flow. Now that there is a lot more un-cut footage I believe it is much more enjoyable to watch. Anyway I hope you like the extended cut of the film, there should be some file links up soon so keep an eye on the thread if you're interested :).

Excellent news! I have finally managed to finish downloading the 2 hour version, taken me about a week on and off at around 4 kbps (ouch!), am 30 minutes in at the moment, and definitely can't wait to see the 'director's cut', I have to fully agree with everyone's comments, it is initially jarring to see great chunks of mission and plot time removed, however I am still enjoying the movie, like a visit to an old friend. Technically, no issues whatsoever, surprisingly good quality, the DVD release makes a huge difference. Simply cannot wait until the re-release! Hopefully this time I'll be downloading it at a time when we still have plenty of fresh seeders, and it won't take me 2 weeks (a file that big, if released in torrent form, and at the speed I've been getting from the tracker...ouch).

Off now to watch the remainder of the movie, saving the full hooked-up-to-my-home-surround-sound-system experience for the extended release. Hurry up and get it uploaded already!

All the best,

Excellent news! I have finally managed to finish downloading the 2 hour version, taken me about a week on and off at around 4 kbps (ouch!), am 30 minutes in at the moment, and definitely can't wait to see the 'director's cut', I have to fully agree with everyone's comments, it is initially jarring to see great chunks of mission and plot time removed, however I am still enjoying the movie, like a visit to an old friend. Technically, no issues whatsoever, surprisingly good quality, the DVD release makes a huge difference. Simply cannot wait until the re-release! Hopefully this time I'll be downloading it at a time when we still have plenty of fresh seeders, and it won't take me 2 weeks (a file that big, if released in torrent form, and at the speed I've been getting from the tracker...ouch).

Off now to watch the remainder of the movie, saving the full hooked-up-to-my-home-surround-sound-system experience for the extended release. Hurry up and get it uploaded already!

All the best,

Wish my living room surround still worked :p. Glad you still enjoy the movie despite it's problems. As for the new movie, I'm trying to get it uploaded to the CIC so people can download it easily and not have to use the torrent. However, there may be issues with the filesize and it could tell a while and may not be possible at all.

So for now I may as well post the torrent link here so if you're really iching to see it you can try your luck with the torrent :)

http://www.mininova.org/tor/716121

Well hope someone gets to see it, enjoy!

I'll take my luck with the torrent for now, but get it up on CIC ASAP if possible! It seems popular, a fair amount of leechers at the moment, just the one seeder, but should speed up as people get more of the file. Cheers!

Yeah it's gradually getting there, just hope the seeders stick around for some time. I believe Kris has started downloading from the torrent so fingers crossed that he'll be able to upload it to CIC.

Well, I'll be damned, the Queegster delivers again as promised.

Just started with the torrent. Getting a download of about 20-25 k/s which is not great but not bad either. This will take me couple of days to download, and I will seed whenever I get the chance. Let's get this awesome movie onto the hard drives of the whole world... of Wing commander loving nuts like poor little me... hehe :p

Thanks a million bud.

The server is already seeding the torrent, so you should get decent speeds. Unless your ISP does traffic shaping. Then you're out of luck because the torrent client doesn't support encryption.

We're just checking that our download server works as advertised (no 2GB file size limit like most software) before we announce the http mirror.

Well, I'll be damned, the Queegster delivers again as promised.

Just started with the torrent. Getting a download of about 20-25 k/s which is not great but not bad either. This will take me couple of days to download, and I will seed whenever I get the chance. Let's get this awesome movie onto the hard drives of the whole world... of Wing commander loving nuts like poor little me... hehe :p

Thanks a million bud.

Thanks man :), loving the Queegster nickname!

he server is already seeding the torrent, so you should get decent speeds. Unless your ISP does traffic shaping. Then you're out of luck because the torrent client doesn't support encryption.

We're just checking that our download server works as advertised (no 2GB file size limit like most software) before we announce the http mirror.

Thank you for the update Kris, now you mention it the peers leeching from me are all getting reasonable speeds from 25kb/s to 250kb/s :eek:, tis good news.
Although I'm not sure if my ISP uses traffic shaping or not, they apparently throttle connections if we use too much bandwidth but that has never happend to me. This is the first time I've heard of it so I'm only going by 5 minutes on wikipedia :rolleyes:. Well anyway nothing appears to be a miss so I'll just wait and see for now.

Queeg Releases Wing IV Movie (May 25, 2007)

Barely three months after releasing his third and final version of his WC3 movie and two months after announcing the project, Queeg has released the first complete version of his WC4 movie project. The project aims to create a full movie experience by tying together high quality FMV scenes taken from WCIV DVD, along with in-game spaceflight scenes. You can download the 2.1 gigabyte, three hour long movie via BitTorrent or alternatively from our local HTTP mirror. The spaceflight scenes also feature new nebula graphics in the background. Don't forget to post your thoughts on the movie here.

--
Original update published on May 25, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I just downloaded the file but I ran into a problem… I use the BSplayer and it just shows a green screen with the audio…

Does anyone have any idea of what this problem might be or how to solve it?

The fighting scenes are not as long as the video sequences. And there were left out some things. That could have been done better.

Back