• WC Online

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • WC Strike Team

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Wing Commander & Conquer (RTS Game)

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most MP Games are like this, not just the massive ones. It's like on JKII, where anyone could make a silly avatar with a light-saber. WC would be no different regarding this matter. I think it would still be worh it.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
I wouldn't mind a Renegade style game where you fly ships and then get to run about on foot.

cool idea, as long as it won't use the Westwood Renegade engine... more bugs then an ants nest... and if someone like, say, Raven (JKII and Elite Forces) was able to the business... :)

I could see a privateer online working, because each person could then go their separate ways, doing their own thing, only working together with others when it suited their goals.

But WC online, i don't know... imagine trying to fly as a wing or a squadron, undoubtibly there would be lots of people who wouldn't want to follow their commander's orders.

The best idea is to allow then to choose, in a way that priv and wc online would be one. You can be a privateer and follow your way, or be a confed pilot. If you are a pilot, you really do RP out the missions in some way (with rank, etc). if you dont do it, well, your commander may put you in bad ships, bad missions, bad ordenance... or even kick you out, and then you become a privateer

also, I would guess confed pilots would have simple missions like patrols to fill up between large ops. In that case, 1 to 4 players could do simple flight around a system looking for trouble

Originally posted by Quarto
Hmm. You know, I can't say I was ever especially excited about the concept of an online WC game, be it WC Online or Priv Online. Multiplayer is great, but massively-multiplayer?

Me too. Every Massive game I played felt boring after a very short while. I'd prefer something more like Alegiance for example. A short scenario where all start at the same level and fight it our for some hours. Much more fun then the yearlong character levelling IMHO.

I think the people that play massively multiplayer games do it for the social event as much as anything else. They've maxed out. It's just a hangout. I'd gladly pay $15 a month to hang out in the Wing Commander universe in addition to just #Wingnut.

Pfft, I'd play a game where we all played a mission at the same time and then talked in #wingnut...

Thinking about it, that could actually be rather fun. Like the way Secret Ops released. That was just great when a new episode came out.

I would prefer not to have the military world WC online. I love the self contained missions (controlled by the game) with very precise goals and objectives - so I go for WC Strike Team for single player.

Privateer, however, would lend itself to a more open type of game and thus have more freedom and be perfect for online multi-player.

Just one question: Can't we have both ??!! :D :D

Privateer 3 with the Freelancer engine. God what a dream...

"Hi, you're new here in New Detroit aren't you? We don't run this place but..."

My first choice would be the Maniac Missions! See Maniac go through a Special Ops campaign during the time that Blair was in retirement on Nephele!

My second choice would be to see an online Privateer MMOG, where you could fly around and interact with other privateers. For example, if one player decides to become a pirate, then the game will put out a bounty on him, and then bounty hunters can go after him.

But enough pie-in-the-sky. What I really hope to ACTUALLY see released is GBA versions of the other existing Wing Commander games. I think that it can happen if WCP for GBA sells well.

Originally posted by Shooter
Privateer 3 with the Freelancer engine. God what a dream...

Freelancer is Privateer with a modern engine. It just doesn't say it's "Wing Commander", but there are a lot of references. It's as close as it gets. So you take your DRAGON fighter up to a trip to the BORDER WORLDS. Then you fight some STILLETOS and SABRES.

Anyway, isn't FreeLancer mod-friendly? How can no one is making a WC Mod, or a Priv-1 Mod?

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I think the people that play massively multiplayer games do it for the social event as much as anything else. They've maxed out. It's just a hangout. I'd gladly pay $15 a month to hang out in the Wing Commander universe in addition to just #Wingnut.

Let me say it this way: While I agree that social aspects are nice I don't see much difference between chatting in IRC or chatting in game while mining an asteroid for 30 minutes ;)
Well the difference is $15. But it really isn't only the money. For me its mostly that the interaction is so limited. I rather spend my time on Pen & Paper RPGs or even PBEM then in a MMORPG due to the engine limitations. And by their very nature space sims tend to be far less RPG and far more PvP which makes them even less appealing IMHO.

Originally posted by Ghost
Bob MCDob (and others) are making a full Wing Commander mod, and it seems promising.

Wow, that sounds interesting. I think it have indeed a lot of potential.

Originally posted by cff
Let me say it this way: While I agree that social aspects are nice I don't see much difference between chatting in IRC or chatting in game while mining an asteroid for 30 minutes ;)
Well the difference is $15. But it really isn't only the money. For me its mostly that the interaction is so limited. I rather spend my time on Pen & Paper RPGs or even PBEM then in a MMORPG due to the engine limitations. And by their very nature space sims tend to be far less RPG and far more PvP which makes them even less appealing IMHO.

Have you tried Eve Online yet? I haven't.. but several of my coworkers are playing it. Lots more economy and non-spaceflight stuff, in addition to a beautiful space flight engine. Justin played for like six hours before getting into any sort of combat. You can make companies, and then put your companies on a working stock market and things like that.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
You can make companies, and then put your companies on a working stock market and things like that.

You can do that in real life too, and win real money.

Back