The Oscars

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
I knew Lord of the Rings would win. But I was really hoping it would be Master & Commander. As much as I liked LotR, I didn't get nearly as emotional about it like I did Master & Commander. I'm sure most everyone will disagree with me though.

I have to agree with you - Master and Commander was the better movie.

I pretty much gave up on the Oscars being anything but an LotR fest when they gave Best Sound to LotR... I've *never* seen a movie more effectively use sounds than Master and Commander.

It seems award shows have lost their ability to make us feel like they are actually giving the award to the best possible contender. Since nowadays there's an award show for literally everything (how many god damn little statues do rich people really need to feel good about themselves?). It amazing what a little money in the hands of certain people will do for you during key times...

I don't think anyone is accusing the Oscars of that sort of thing... if any distributor would be in a position to "bribe" them, it'd be FOX and not New Line.

More likely the voters simply got swept up in hype surrounding LotR and ended up giving it a bunch of awards it didn't necessarily deserve.

"Pot and crack and all sorts of drugs"

"JRR Tolkien was smoking these things when he created the Lord of the Rings!" :D

Shut up, Sylvester.

I think the real problem was that since the Oscars have always snubed fantasy/sci-fi movies in the past, that they thought "Hey, wait! Lets change that! OMG that'll be so ownrz!"

I didn't see Master And Commander but Ive heard nothing but great reviews. RotK was stronger than Two Towers but still weaker than Fellowship. Mystic River was amazing but I knew that wouldn't win. If anything but these 3 movies won, I'd've thrown my shoe at the TV, just like when Shakespeare in Love won over far superior movies like The Thin Red Line.

Because it applied for best foreign film last year, but wasn´t even nominated. Since in 2003 it didn´t apply for those other 4 categories, it ran for them in 2004.

They should have just given LotR a special award or something, and left the other nominations for other movies - how many films missed the recognition they deserved because they happened to be released at the same time as that cinematic juggernaut?

Bandit LOAF said:
I don't think anyone is accusing the Oscars of that sort of thing... if any distributor would be in a position to "bribe" them, it'd be FOX and not New Line.

More likely the voters simply got swept up in hype surrounding LotR and ended up giving it a bunch of awards it didn't necessarily deserve.

Or they got swept up in the large amount of parties they were invited too, that just happened to be thrown by people who were behind certain movies...

But anyways, hollywood award shows are a dime a dozen and it has made the ones that used to matter now seem like nothing. I'm sure most people 18-25 are far more concerned with anything VH1 or Mtv does because, well you know, it's the bizzle and only those with the snizzle can be the awizzle...

I'm really not sure what you're going on about.

Space sims are a dime a dozen - Wing Commander is the special one. Awards shows may be more common then dirty... but the Oscars are the one everyone cares about.

I'm going on about how awards shows have lost their ability to hand out awards that seem to mean something. I mean every week you turn on the tv and there are 4 new awards shows for shit that we already have 25 awards shows for. How often to people need to honor themselves? It seems like people are creating award shows for the simple reason they can hopefully get some of their own stuff awarded thereby creating buzz. That's all, it seems like award show production is becoming something right off the assembly line.

Yes... I understand *what* you're saying... but again, I don't see how it relates to the Oscars.

It relates because the Oscars are one of the few awards shows that were awards shows before awards shows became "award shows" and because of that they have lost IMO some of their legitimacy they once had.

Well, at least Sean Penn and Tim Robbins got their awards. Mystic River pwns. Damn LotR. :(

And The Thin Red Line is one of the best movies ever.

At any rate...

Yes I do wonder who would've won if LotR didn't compete. The Oscars weren't interesting because there really was no contest. But Master & Commander wasn't what I expected it to be. And that's why I loved it so much. It just has that quality that I could watch it over and over. My thoughts aren't too focused right now. I know everyone has been arguing about whether the Oscars are crap or not. At least I have the movies that I enjoy in my own heart and I don't need it to win an award for me to like it any better. Wing Commander may not be that popular in the mainstream arena, but that's why it's a little more special to me I suppose. And look at Dune, that's my favorite sci-fi book of all time. I'm glad most people hate the Dune movie. It sort of wasn't meant for the screen anyway. Even though I liked it and the book despite their differences. I suppose that's all I have to say about that for now.

Back