the new war in the gulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
We in Austria have a nice system, it's called the 'Psycho-Test'. Anyone who wants to buy or owns a gun has to make this test. It helps to determine if a person is mentally stable and able to hand a gun properly.

Originally posted by Lynx
We in Austria have a nice system, it's called the 'Psycho-Test'.

We could probably use such a test over here in the US. Right now all they do is a background check to see if you have a mental/criminal record. The only problem is, it's not very difficult to have someone else buy the weapon for you... :rolleyes:

The psycho test enables you get the weapons card- it is required if you want to own a weapon. But with this card you are just allowed to keep it at home, and you get checked if you store it correctly, so that no one can misuse it.

If you want to carry your arm with you loaded outside your plot, you need a special weapons passport, but this one is given only to special people like policemen or so.

You see, the psycho test is just the first step. This system keeps people who want to have guns 'just for fun' (these are one of the most dangerous) from getting them because the way to get it is quite hard. This system is quite secure. In our country, we have almost no crimes where guns are used.

Chris: hmm, well, Mill's definition amounts to the same thing that I said, really, since free speech usually does not in any way infringe on the freedom of others.

Originally posted by Delance
It's amazing how contradictory you are being right now. You are pissed that people VOICE their opinions, and then you quote Voltaire about free speech.

But the truth is that when someone VOICES an opinion you like, you say he's a martyr of democracy. When someone VOICES an opinion you dislike, it makes you sick.
There is nothing contradictory about what I said. The fact that I don't like an opinion or that it makes me sick does not mean that I believe people shouldn't be allowed to voice it. If you and that cartoonist believe that Moore shouldn't have spoken, you can certainly say that. But I have every right to express my opinion that you should consider moving elsewhere because you don't seem to appreciate the value of democracy.

To say that you were being "Naive" about this isn't an insult, it's a complement. It's a figure of speech too.
Ah, and when you say that "naive" is a compliment, implying that I'm worse than naive, that's a figure of speech too? Just don't go there. And don't bother responding about how that's not what you meant and such - I'll simply delete your post if you do, because I'm not naive enough to believe that.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Back onto the actual topic, whats this about Syria (SP) sending troops to Iraq to assist the current gov't? I missed the details... (Missed the whole story, actualy.)

Actually, Rumsfeld just claims that Syria is sending night vision equipment to Iraq. Iraq and Syria naturally have denied this. It could be true, but don't count on it.

Originally posted by Lynx
Actually, Rumsfeld just claims that Syria is sending night vision equipment to Iraq. Iraq and Syria naturally have denied this. It could be true, but don't count on it.

i really don't think that rumsfeld would accuse syria of something like that unless he had pretty good info that said they were doing that

Originally posted by Quarto
And don't bother responding about how that's not what you meant and such - I'll simply delete your post if you do, because I'm not naive enough to believe that. [/B]

I'm quite sure you would, because you are a real champion of democracy.

Because your ability to call people naive on a web board is a key part of a democratic system!

I kicked some guy the other day from #wingnut because he called me stupid. I'm anti-American!

Heh, I would have thought, if you and Quarto were that bad, that there are some people I've seen that you'd make your personnal bitches. :p Or just throw them out, one of the two.

Just a quick point on WMD, Iraq and Syria.

If there is any country in the Middle East that Iraq has shifted WMD to, it would be Syria. All the other bordering governments are relatively hostile, eg, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Turkey, Iran. Jordan and Syria are the only ones somewhat friendly to Iraq and of those, it is unlikely Jordan would risk their reputation as generally they co-operate with the Western world in exchange for aid.

Syria however has been accused of sponsoring terrorist groups, and in light of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, would be more likely to help a fellow Arab neightbour.

As TC pointed out, that doesn't apply here. This board is not a democracy. You won't find freedom of speech here.

Ah, lighten up, I'm sure they're being sarcastic. But they are right at least in saying how free speech does not really apply here. As mods, I feel, as I'm sure they do, that they have to look out for the well being of the members of the message board, least it die or turn into something like Aeris Damnation, and things such as outright attacks on other members are not considered free speech and not allowed.

No, Phillip, we're not being sarcastic. This board is a dictatorship - a benevolent dictatorship, but a dictatorship nonetheless. As far as freedom of speech is concerned, we really do give people a lot of leeway with what they say - and that's precisely why people should shut up the moment we tell them to.

No more discussion about this - rule 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back