The Movie

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Finally saw the movie, and I can happily say it wasn't the viewing disaster for me that some people think it was. Although, I dunno if I would still think that way if I hadn't read you people's thoughts on it.

Eg, considering the tiny budget, I thought it was excellent, BTW, how much did Roberts have for it?

Also, the cramped conditions do give a more wartime, resource-conservative feel, although this did contrast with the shiny new holographic computer displays.

But there were several things that were left unexplained which made me think, "Huh? WTH just happened?" So it's no wonder non-WC people would think poorly of it. And the movie did seem to finish too quickly, esp towards the end, because there were several scenes which could have been elaborated upon - if only for a few seconds more - just to explain why things happened as they did.

I had no idea why they used pilots as marines - admittedly the Tiger Claw (why not Tiger's Claw?) had no specific marine attachment - and why the Kilrathi could shoot for peanuts, or why once they found the NavCom, they just left it there. Also, things only seem to go wrong for the good guys, ie the broken self-destruct on the NavCom at Pegasus, and Rosy's broken ejection system. And did Blair close the scoops in his run from the Snakeir? I don't think they explained that either, and why wouldn't they give Mark Hamill the credit for Merlin's VO?

The capships all looked the same to me, although I haven't seen Starlancer, I have the impression that that's where the ships came from, rather than from WC. I couldn't tell the Kilrathi ships from the Confeds.

Hmm, why did the Kilrathi need the NavCom in the 1st place? Does that mean they can't jump otherwise? Cos if Confed had the ability jump and the Kats didn't...

And it would have been nice to see even a little Confed resistance at Pegasus, lest we think the Terrans are idiots for not stationing at least one capship there.

Oh well, enough complaining. It still had me engrossed when it replayed the morning after.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Eg, considering the tiny budget, I thought it was excellent, BTW, how much did Roberts have for it?
Around $27 mil.

Also, the cramped conditions do give a more wartime, resource-conservative feel,
That's exactly how I feel.
although this did contrast with the shiny new holographic computer displays.
But it does appear more realistic, non?

I had no idea why they used pilots as marines -
They didn't. Blair was there as a turret gunner for the Diligent, and later went inside the ship when Merlin told him about something strange coming from inside the ship. Meanwhile, Angel went because she studied a wreck of a Kilrathi transport that was similar to that ConCom ship.

or why once they found the NavCom, they just left it there
They didn't do that...

Also, things only seem to go wrong for the good guys, ie the broken self-destruct on the NavCom at Pegasus, and Rosy's broken ejection system.
I'd say the Snakier falling into Scylla was pretty bad for the cats.:)

And did Blair close the scoops in his run from the Snakeir?
No, why would you think that?

The capships all looked the same to me, although I haven't seen Starlancer, I have the impression that that's where the ships came from, rather than from WC. I couldn't tell the Kilrathi ships from the Confeds.
Actually, some of the SL ships came from the movie... Anyhow, it's quite easy to distinguis between Confed and Kilrathi ships. For one the color is different, and the cat ships seem like submarines with parts sticking out of them. Meanwhile, Confed capships are like smooth submarines.:) Although I loved the Concordia desing.

Hmm, why did the Kilrathi need the NavCom in the 1st place? Does that mean they can't jump otherwise? Cos if Confed had the ability jump and the Kats didn't...
They needed it for the jump routs through Scylla. While the Cats had jump routes from the many capture ships, they most likelly didn't capture any routes through anomolies like the Scylla.

And it would have been nice to see even a little Confed resistance at Pegasus, lest we think the Terrans are idiots for not stationing at least one capship there.
There were tons of capships there. But they were caught off gaurd, and there was the traitor after all.

what i don't get about the movie is how and why they stuck a skipper missile into the movie...

and what the heck was that cloak mode?
did they actually go into cloack or was is stealth

and why does maniac get laid for?

i had never played wc1 b4 seeing the movie, but what were those ships that they flew in the game? and why limited guns and not energy?

Originally posted by StarLight
what i don't get about the movie is how and why they stuck a skipper missile into the movie...
Well, there's nothing that says that a cloaked capship missile can't exist at that time. Remember that the Kilrathi already had Strakhas in 2656, just two years after the movie, so it's perfectly possible that Kilrathi had cloaking at the time of the movie. Second, the movie Skipper and WC3 Skipper could very well be two very different missiles other than the cloaking capability (we already know that the movie Skipper is much weaker than the later capship missiles, since it can't destroy the Claw with her full shields up), since Skipper is just the callsing for the missile. The real name for the WC3 Skippers is Vrag'chath.

and what the heck was that cloak mode?
did they actually go into cloack or was is stealth
You mean the Claw? It's something every ship can do. You just limit the ships electronic emissions and comunications.

and why does maniac get laid for?
And why not? He was even married once or twice, and that was after the movie, when he really became an asshole.

i had never played wc1 b4 seeing the movie, but what were those ships that they flew in the game? and why limited guns and not energy?
Wha?

[Edited by Earthworm on 12-23-2000 at 01:09]

the fighter craft - they fired ammo didn't they?

why didn't they have energy guns - ie. laser, ion, particle etc...

and what were those fighter crafts? i had never played wc1 b4 seeing the movie so i didn't know what they were

Originally posted by StarLight
the fighter craft - they fired ammo didn't they?

why didn't they have energy guns - ie. laser, ion, particle etc...
Nope, those were Neutron guns, just a different kind than the ones we see later.

and what were those fighter crafts? i had never played wc1 b4 seeing the movie so i didn't know what they were
Those were earlier versions of Rapiers and Broadswords. The movie Rapiers have a desing that's over a hundred years old, as oposed to the completly new Rapier II's from WC1.

the WC movie and sequal novel are just a diffrent spin on the WC story,not the same universe.

and about the skippers, I think it was on the infoburst with Chris Roberts (I cant exactly remember where I heard it) but Roberts also said that the skipper was put into this movie because he wasnt sure if the WCM would be successful enough to put the skipper into a sequal movie.

Traditional looks on a sci-fi film?

G'day,

I personally loved the movie as well, despite some cheesiness and a few moments of painful acting. Yet Chris Roberts really created a wonderful atmosphere, a 'tension' if you will which hummed in the air a great deal, that the war WAS dangerous, deadly et al.

Anyways, from my viewings of the film and several articles on the movie which are in the back of my mind, Chris Roberts created the Tiger's Claw and ships so that they were reminiscent of World War II carriers. He also tried to emulate that in the dogfighting, commentary and other visuals (ie the planes dipped below the runway's deck after they were clear of it, the large gatling guns on the nose of the planes or the wings made the vessels look like radial engines used extensively in the Pacific theatre of WWII etc).

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. :p

Re: Traditional looks on a sci-fi film?

The idea was indeed to create a WW II atmosphere, and IMO, it's fairly refreshing in the Sci-fi genre. The movie reminded my a great deal of Space: Above and Beyond, one of my favorite TV shows.

'tis good to see someone else who loved the movie though.:)

[Edited by Earthworm on 12-25-2000 at 15:25]

Meson:

Nope, you didnt read any of those other scripts???
He is not just another person who doesnt understand stuff, he's just another person who writes funny abridged scripts! They are not supposed to be serious! Its a joke! :) Most of those scripts are really good...

Originally posted by Earthworm
I had no idea why they used pilots as marines -
They didn't. Blair was there as a turret gunner for the Diligent, and later went inside the ship when Merlin told him about something strange coming from inside the ship. Meanwhile, Angel went because she studied a wreck of a Kilrathi transport that was similar to that ConCom ship.

Uh huh? I don't recall that happening, all I remember was one second they were in the transport, the next second, Blair was blasting Kats with slow reflexes.

or why once they found the NavCom, they just left it there

Originally posted by Earthworm They didn't do that...

Again, that's why I felt they cut out too many scenes. I had the impression that Blair took note of the coordinates, then everyone returned the the Claw.

And did Blair close the scoops in his run from the Snakeir?

No, why would you think that?

When we had a discussion on scoops, I'm sure someone mentioned something about that. Esp when considering a fighter should easily be able to outrun a capship. Too, Blair's cockpit display kept flashing something about fuel status. Was that why he had to be tractored into the Concordia?

Actually, some of the SL ships came from the movie... Anyhow, it's quite easy to distinguish between Confed and Kilrathi ships. For one the colour is different, and the cat ships seem like submarines with parts sticking out of them. Meanwhile, Confed capships are like smooth submarines.:) Although I loved the Concordia design.

Yeah, I understand the WWII design idea, though that makes it more related to SL than to WC for me.

There were tons of capships there. But they were caught off gaurd, and there was the traitor after all.
[/QUOTE]

Traitor? What traitor?

BTW, I laughed my head off when Paladin bombed the battleship. "Au revoir, mes amis." Ha! A French speaking 'Scotsman.' Yes, I know he wasn't meant to be Scottish in the movie, but that was hilarious. It sounded like something that Angel would say. Hmm, she didn't sound very Frenchy either.

And about that skipper missile, doesn't that give the possibility that the Kats have complete cloak capability? So then Tolwyn should have been more understanding when Blair claims Strakhas took out the Tiger's Claw. Though I suppose the Pilgrim subplot takes care of that, although Tolwyn seemed quite friendly towards Blair, perhaps Tolwyn doesn't know about Blair's heredity?

Hi, I'm sure no one remembers me but I come around here sporadically, usually around christmas(when there is usually something wc related going on).

I wanted to address one subject.

Originally posted by Kain
the WC movie and sequal novel are just a diffrent spin on the WC story,not the same universe.
No, they're most definetly in the same universe...:)

This is probably a matter of opinion Earthworm. Chris McCubbin explains it best in his description of his Confederation Handbook. Here's a quote of his from a February 3, 1999 cic news story:

"I like to explain it by reference to Batman. Batman has a comics series, a series of movies and an animated series. Each one uses the same characters, basically the same motivations, and all have certain benchmark events in common. However, things fit together differently - they are different, although related -- realities. That's the way it is with the movie and the games (and the animated cartoon too, for that matter). They are not part of the same story, they are different stories about the same people."

The games, cartoons, and the movie stories are not meant to fit together. It's your choice to try to make it all fit together, and there is nothing wrong with that. That's how you and many others enjoy wing commander. But others, such as Kain and myself enjoy it better when we look at the different stories separately. It makes more sense to us. That can be one of the explanations to someone who doesn't understand why something from one universe does not fit with something from another. It's not meant to(but can be made to fit with hard work).

Again, this is just an opinion. Enjoy the wc stories the way you want to :)

Nope, the games, novels, TV series, and the movie are meant to be together.... They all complement each other and supply us with answers to things that aren't addressed anywhere else.

Just because some stuff contradicts each other doesn't mean the movie is something different. There's more stuff in the WC4 novel that contradicts with the WCU than there is in the movie.

Uh huh? I don't recall that happening, all I remember was one second they were in the transport, the next second, Blair was blasting Kats with slow reflexes.
It's all in the movie novel, you should definetly check it out.

Again, that's why I felt they cut out too many scenes. I had the impression that Blair took note of the coordinates, then everyone returned the the Claw.
Nope, the movie doesn't even show them leaving the room IIRC.

Esp when considering a fighter should easily be able to outrun a capship. Too, Blair's cockpit display kept flashing something about fuel status. Was that why he had to be tractored into the Concordia?
Blair was running out of fuel, that's why the dreadnought could keep up with him.
Traitor? What traitor?
Again, you should check out the movie novel. I don't want to spoil it for you, so let's just say that there is a traitor on that station in the begining. The traitor plot was unfortunetly left out of the movie.

BTW, I laughed my head off when Paladin bombed the battleship. "Au revoir, mes amis." Ha! A French speaking 'Scotsman.' Yes, I know he wasn't meant to be Scottish in the movie, but that was hilarious. It sounded like something that Angel would say. Hmm, she didn't sound very Frenchy either.
First, many people use some french words during... whatever (that is assuming they know it of course). Quarto isn't french, and he's definetly using it a lot.:) Second, Paladin IS Scottish in the movie, even though he doesn't have a Scottish accent.

So then Tolwyn should have been more understanding when Blair claims Strakhas took out the Tiger's Claw.
Yes he should have, though they only knew of cloaking missiles, maybe for some reasons no one in Confed though it was possible to have a cloak on a fighter. Or maybe Tolwyn was royaly pissed and didn't think straight (or maybe he was going through his period... wait, that doesn't sound right........)

Though I suppose the Pilgrim subplot takes care of that, although Tolwyn seemed quite friendly towards Blair, perhaps Tolwyn doesn't know about Blair's heredity?
Oh, he knew about it. He did serve with Blairs father however, so he wasn't neccessarily going to blow over it. Blairs heritage could have been the reason why Tolwyn wanted to finish off Blair when the Claw was destroyed though. With everything that went on, him being a Pilgrim would have made him even more of a suspect.

There is a lot of evidence against that Earthworm. They are technically not "meant to be together". But if you see that anything with the wc name slapped on should fit with everything else, then you can believe that.

Here's another quote from Chris McCubbin:

"Everything in the Confed Handbook follows RELIGIOUSLY from the continuity of the MOVIE. However, that continuity is deliberately, extensively and consistantly DIFFERENT from the continuity of the games."

Notice McCubbin said "deliberately". This is because Chris Roberts was trying to create another continuity separate from the games. There were even licensing restrictions on what could be used in the movie from the games.

The wc4 novel only contained nitpicky details like the separation of the flight decks on the Lexington. The books fit with the games, because they were made using the games as a reference.

The wc movie on the other hand introduces the whole pilgrim race and war, making a very crammed timeline, and other problems. The fact that pilgrims never came up in any other wc story is enough for me, and many others. It just changes everything about Blair. I liked the fact that he was just a regular farmer boy who grew up flying cropdusters, and grew up to end a horrible war. The movie credits this with his pilgrim heritage and abilities and dissproves the fact that a regular man can do incredible things. Whether or not the stories were meant to fit together or not, I still believe they don't belong together. You can think whatever you want about the continuity of the wc Universe, that's your opinion.

Originally posted by Terrorizer
They are technically not "meant to be together".
The point is that they are. Obviously in a universe that contains so many things, made by so many different people, there are bound to be mistakes, and in some cases like the movie where CR wanted to add new things, it would contradict with some stuff, but the movie DOES fit in with the rest of the universe fairly well with the exception of few things (like Bossman being already dead). But I don't think Chris Roberts ever meant to start the universe from scratch, he was just loking to add to it.

"Everything in the Confed Handbook follows RELIGIOUSLY from the continuity of the MOVIE. However, that continuity is deliberately, extensively and consistantly DIFFERENT from the continuity of the games."

Notice McCubbin said "deliberately". This is because Chris Roberts was trying to create another continuity separate from the games. There were even licensing restrictions on what could be used in the movie from the games.
As someone who has read the Confed Handbook, I can honestly say that McCubbin, didn't have to change many of the dates that he put in in the Confed Handbook...

And like I stated above, I don't think CR would want to do anything but to add to the universe that was already so large.

The wc4 novel only contained nitpicky details like the separation of the flight decks on the Lexington. The books fit with the games, because they were made using the games as a reference.
Nope, there are many difference between the WC4 novel and game, certainly too many to list them all. At any case, the flight deck example is flawed, because the game engine wouldn't be able to show the flight deck as it really should have looked like.

The fact that pilgrims never came up in any other wc story is enough for me, and many others.
May I ask why the Pilgrims should be mentioned at all? We only see small parts of the lives of the main characters in the games. In WC4 for example, you might see Vagabond and Blair talking about the current conflict between Confed and UBW, why would anyone mention Pilgrims? Why should they be mention anywhere in WC3, or WC2 (The only place where I see Pilgrims being mentioned, is when Tolwyn was talking with Blair in the intro)? In WC1, there isn't that much dialog about what's going on outside the Claw anyway.

It just changes everything about Blair. I liked the fact that he was just a regular farmer boy who grew up flying cropdusters, and grew up to end a horrible war. The movie credits this with his pilgrim heritage and abilities and dissproves the fact that a regular man can do incredible things.
Just because he's half Pilgrim doesn't mean that flying and combat skills would come easily to him. He even had to work harder than anyone else because of his heritage. Constantly having to prove himself, fighting the prejidice from everyone around him. In the movie, the minute Blair steped on the bridge of the Claw, Gerald was all over his heritage, already beliving that he wasn't competent. Blair is so good because he always had to try harder, make less mistakes, not because his mother had some genetic mutations.

So see, the movie doesn't tell us that Blair is some superhuman. It actually explains us why Blair grew up to be such a great warrior, and gives us an sample of all the things he had to overcome. The movie enhances the fact that a man can do extraordinary things, instead of destroying it...

Whether or not the stories were meant to fit together or not, I still believe they don't belong together. You can think whatever you want about the continuity of the wc Universe, that's your opinion.
But that's probably because you don't know many things about the universe.:) Seriously though, I'd be happy to discuss with you different parts of the movie, and why they should or should not fit in the universe. If you want to, feel free to e-mail me, since this board has seen far to many discussions about the movie and a new one is not needed.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you all with the history of the Pilgrims taken from the Confed Handbook. It might show some people why the movie fits in (at least in some places).

The Pilgrim Alliance

The Pilgrim Alliance was the first organized effort by humanity to colonize other solar systems. Between 2311 and 2588 they colonized 12 systems in Sol and Vega sectors, using hopper-drive "sloships". Radical religous separatists, the Pilgrims belived that they were the "elect" of humanity, with the exclusive divine right to live outside the Sol system. In 2631 a Pilgrim fleet attacked the Terran Confederation Port of Titan starbase in an attempt to cripple Confed colonization efforts. Over the next four years the resulting conflict brought about the end of the Alliance. In 2635 the Pilgrim Alliance was formally dissolved, and all extant Pilgrim worlds were brought into the Confederatioin as protectorate colonies.

Pilgrim Cross:

The Pilgrim dagger-cross is the most sacred symbol of the sect. The dagger represents divine judgement against unbelievers, and the cross symbolizes the salvation of the elect.
Pilgrim crosses worn as jewelry traditionally keep the sharpened dagger blade feature. Fore safety's sake, the blade can be sheathed, or recessed into the cross with a spring-trigger release. Some of the more ornate crosses are believed to have been chemically treated so that they glow or shimmer in response to the wearer's body chemistry.

History:

The historical roots of the Pilgrim Alliance lie in the solar expansion of the 22nd century and the ecocatastrophe of the 23rd. In 2167 the United Nations established Olympia Station, the first permanent human settlement on another planet. Supported by space stations on Phobos and Luna, the Olympia colony became the primary staging are for humanity's migration to the outer planets of the Sol system. By 2215 the U.N. had established further permanent colonies on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, placed research facilities on the satellites of Uranus and Neptune, and landed on Pluto. In that same timespan Terra became ever-increasingly reliant on the outer planets for heavy industrial metals.

In 2219 the first of the Great Pandemics appeared. After the loss of Luna Station, the outer planets sealed themselves off entirely from earth. The rules were simple-for the duration of the medical emergency, no one from Terra could travel beyond the Legrange transit stations. Any colonist who chose to return to Terra could not return to space until such time as the quarantine was lifted.

It was possible for the outer planets to seal themselves off, because by this time the colonies were virtualy self-sustaining. Oxygen and water could be obtained from the rings of Saturn and the ice caps of the larger outer moons, while mineral resources were prolific on Mars and the asteroid belt, with the resources of the outer moons held in reserve. More exotic compounds were being siphoned from the outer atmospheres of Jupiter and Saturn.

Terra, struggling against the ever-rising tide of disease and famine, became increasingly reliant on the mineral wealth of the outer planets to sustain the remnants of its faltering production infrastructure. With fossil fuels virtually exhausted and the biosphere turning ever more hostile, Terra became completely dependent on the outer planets for fuel and the raw materials for self-contained hydroponic systems that provided Terra's only safe food supply.

***Mars was the site of Olympia Station, the first Terran settlement on another planet.

Mining colonies on Mar's inner moon, Phobos- supported the planetary bases as humanity expanded outward. Eventually, such colonies would allow the outer planets the self-sufficiency they needed to maintain the quarantine of Terra.***

These imports were dropped impersonally down Terra's gravity well, with no physical contact between Terra and her colonies. At first, Terra could trade data and cultural resources for these raw materials. However, the colonies became more self-sufficient and their indigenous culture continued to evolve, while Terra's data and cultural industries fell prey to the general economic and social chaos. The colonies were faced with an ever-increasing demand from Terra, but ever-diminishing expectations for fair payment. Meanwhile, on Terra, popular resentment was growing against the rich, healthy, and aloof extraterrestials.

The Final Exodus:

The emergent culture of the outer planets was ripe for new and radical philosophies. The most successful of these new worldviews arose from the writings of Ivar Chu McDaniel (2257-2311?), an organic chemist and lay-preacher assigned to the Neptune research base.

While stationed on Neptune, in 2294, McDaniel began to experience ecstatic visions. He believed that in these visions he experienced direct communion with the Divine, receiving prophetic revelations. He wrote of his experiences to friends on Mars, who encouraged him to collect and publish his insights.

McDaniel claimed that he had been chosen to receive his visions because he was a spiritually receptive individual located at the very fringe of human settlement of Sol system. McDaniel taught that the prophesied apocalypse had occured, but divine judgment was confined to Terra itself. Those humans who had migrated to other worlds constituted and "Elect", destined for physical and spiritual salvation and protection. However, because of the pervasive corruption of Terra, the divine presence could not fully empower the Elect as long as they remained in the Sol system. To complete their salvation, the Elect must undertake the "Final Exodus", leaving Sol system entirely to seek spiritual and genetic perfection among the stars. In McDaniel's mystical cosmography, Terra was Hell, the universe at large was Heaven, and the remainder of Sol system constituted a sort of Limbo where the chosen remnant could prepare itself.

McDaniel's views gained momentum in 2304, with the discovery of the Morvan Drive (popularly known as the "hopper" drive), which allowed interstellar distances to be covered in a matter of months or years, rather than generations. By 2309 the Outer Planets Policy Council was firmly in the control of the McDanielites. In 2311 the first Morvan Colony ship was launched. Bound for the Sirius system, it contained 1200 colonists, including Ivar Chu McDaniel. The ship never arrived at its destination-orthodox pilgrim theology teaches that McDaniel and his crew were translated directly to a higher plane of existance, from which McDaniel continues to spiritually direct his followers.

Subsequent sloship efforts were successful, however, to a degree that modern historians find frankly amazing. Missions to Alpha and Proxima Centauri, Cygnus and a second Sirius mission all arrived at their destinations and successfully established self-sustaining settlements. By 2350 regular trade routes were being established between Titan and the Centauri colonies. It was during this time that the McDanielists began to refer to those who took passage on the colony ships as "Pilgrims".

[Edited by Earthworm on 12-26-2000 at 00:29]

Back