The Movie

It all comes down to this...

...there is no *my canon*, perhaps you should find out what that word means...

that's the end of this chapter... you have been erased...

Jerk, that's even cuter...

What else are you going to call me? Naughty boy?:)

This post even further proves that you don't have any logical points left, if you ever had one....

(a) I don't really care what other people consider to be part of the Wing Commander universe. I just try to make it all fit.

(b) What the hell do rights and differences have to do with each other?

TC

Originally posted by Kain
this post further proves you are a jerk who likes to prove ppl wrong,you even flame. and i suggest you get out a little more rather than finding someone to harass on the internet, theres something in the world called rights and differences.

Now see, I wasn't going to reply to you in this thread anymore, and then I read your post... and I'm still laughing my ass off.

Now, lets examine your post..

*you are a jerk who likes to prove people wrong*-

No, people need to be told when they are wrong... it's that simple. It is painfully obvious, even to you, that you are wrong, yet because of whatever reasons you refuse to acnowledge it.

*you even flame*-

Do you even know what that term means? Belive me, I haven't flamed you... I haven't even insulted you after you made your pathetic attempts at insulting me...

*and i suggest you get out a little more rather than finding someone to harass on the internet*

Oh, this one really takes the cake. "Finding someone to harass on the internet".... you really need a hug.

*theres something in the world called rights and differences*

You have the right to remain silent, I'd suggest you use it...

We're not talking about what YOU think should belong in the WC universe, but about stuff that DOES belong in it. Technicly anything with the name Wing Commander on it, that was made with the OSI license, is official and belongs to the universe...

Earthworm... you've overlooked an extremely important point which would have made this entire discussion completely obsolete. Watch, and learn...

The two of you have, thus far, agreed on only one thing. However, this thing is very, very significant in this discussion. What is this one thing? <drum roll>

<another drum roll, just for the heck of it>

Here it comes...

**There is *no* official timeline.**

So, if that's the case, how can one possibly argue that WCM or WCA or whatever are not a part of the official timeline? How can they be a part of something that never existed?

As LOAF has many times pointed out, there is no official WC canon. Thus, any discussion of what is a part of the universe and what isn't is, by definition, completely useless. You can look at this in two ways:

A) Because there is no official word on what is a part of the WC Universe and what isn't, there is no such thing as a WC Universe. Each product, whether it be Wing Commander III the game, or Wing Commander Academy the animated series, is completely and utterly separate from every other product.

B) Because there is no official word on what is a part of the WC universe and what isn't, all products that have the name "Wing Commander" slapped on them (that is, are a part of the Wing Commander franchise) are set in the WC Universe.

I can't make anybody choose either one of those views, and technically they are both right. But one thing must be kept firmly in mind - there are no correct views other than (A) and (B) listed above. You cannot reject one part of a universe unless you reject all parts. Universe means everything.

Look at it this way. What exactly is a part of the real universe? After all, there's no official word (and indeed, no official) to tell us whether Alpha Centauri is in the same universe as Earth.

...Don't bother answering. The answer is exactly the same as for the Wing Commander Universe. Either everything is a part of the real universe, or there is no such thing as a real universe. After all, if not everything is a part of a universe, then it ceases to be universal - it ceases to exist.

On a side note, I was in a store with DVDs yesterday, and, for the first time ever, I saw the WC Movie DVD on sale (didn't buy it... didn't have any money on me at the time... will probably buy later, if my cash reserves suffice). I was amazed to see its price, though. At MOP289 (Macau Patacas - divide by 8 to get the US$ price), the WC Movie was one of the most expensive movies in the store. Even X-Men, which, after all, has been hailed as a complete success, was only MOP229.

WOW!

the WC Movie was one of the most expensive movies in the store. Even X-Men, which, after all, has been hailed as a complete success, was only MOP229.

WOW! They use mops as currency? How the hell do you carry around 229 mops?

TC

Duh, TC, they use credit cards that have individual bits on them that *stand* for 229 mops.

Err, but WC is so expensive because it was part of FOX's first line of DVDs -- thinking they would be producing only a small product for a limited market, FOX priced them to retail at 35 dollars... as DVDs immediately became more popular, all other releases were cheaper. WC never got it's price lowered because... nobody cared:)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Err, but WC is so expensive because it was part of FOX's first line of DVDs -- thinking they would be producing only a small product for a limited market, FOX priced them to retail at 35 dollars... as DVDs immediately became more popular, all other releases were cheaper. WC never got it's price lowered because... nobody cared:)
Aww, darn. And here I was hoping that it was because someone had finally appreciated it. Ah, well.

Again, I miss a few days and the thread explodes into an Earthworm vs someone mega-multi-post argument. No offence need be taken, OK? :)

Just one little thing I wouldn't mind being answered cos it has nothing to do with our WCU - why didn't Mark Hamill get mentioned for the voice of Merlin?

Originally posted by Wedge009
Again, I miss a few days and the thread explodes into an Earthworm vs someone mega-multi-post argument. No offence need be taken, OK? :)
The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about...:)

Originally posted by TC
Because it was a secret little walk on type role.

Does that mean he still has some interest in WC? The impression that I got from one of the interviews linked from the home page suggested that Mr Hamill wanted to get as far from WC as possible. The one where LOAF says he doesn't like the joke about Wing Commander/Star Wars.

Mark Hamill could be just looking for work.... :)

As TC said, Hamill's Merlin was an "easter egg".

Back