The Most Number of Kills

No hatred for Hellcats from me. Just for those who endlessly blab on about the Hellcat.

Okay, maybe "hate" is too strong a word. ;)

Originally posted by Col.Dom
I just don't understand the wanton hatred for Hellcats....
Easily answered, it's human nature to hate (or dislike) what you don't understand. Think back to any drills you did as a sports player of some sort (even applies to phyiscal conditioning in the military). The drills you hated to do were probably the ones that were most challanging for you (ie you couldn't do them correctly) and it always pissed you off to see someone who could.
The moral of my story is the ones who flame the Hellcat are those who can't control/fly/dogfight it very well, and are envious of those of us who can :) Human nature.
Now either we are about to have a nice human nature discussion, or this thread is going to be set on fire ;)

C-ya

* breaks out the fire extenguishers and starts passing them out *

Oh, hey, I love the Hellcat too. Second favorite fighter in the series.

Originally posted by Viper61
The moral of my story is the ones who flame the Hellcat are those who can't control/fly/dogfight it very well, and are envious of those of us who can :)

HAHA! I never thought of it that way. Yes, you may be correct! I am the master of disaster in a Hellcat V. I own the galaxy whenever I fly in one. It's such a well-balanced machine, yet takes true finesse to fly it.

Hellcat Aces Forever :cool:

Originally posted by Steelflight
* breaks out the fire extenguishers and starts passing them out *

Oh, hey, I love the Hellcat too. Second favorite fighter in the series.

LOL!!! thats priceless

:confused: I just find the Fighter completely under armed.

A Medium Military Fighter should have more Armament then a Private Light Fighter (Razor in WC 4) or a Light Militia Fighter (Arrow in WC 4).

Its not fast, does not look to great, and is not very tough, but Medium Fighters in WC are generally the worst Choice.

I always flew Heavy and Light Fighters if I could, rather then a Medium one. Only exception being the Rapier in WC1. In WC2 one goes for the Ferret or the Gladius. In WC3 you take the Arrow or Thunderbolt. In WC4 I even flew Longbows to avoid the Hellcat.:D In WCP I never took a Tigershark unless I had to.

Like I said, it requires a certain finesse :cool:

Raw skill versus the machine compensating. Most people cry for the Thud VII... but I really disliked utilizing that ship. It was too slow and it's weapons sucked juice way too fast.

I dunno... I think there are worse fighters out there than the Hellcat V. Like the Epee. Ick.

Ok Epee is the single worst Fighter to fly I agree on that.:)

Never liked Thuds myself.. but still better then a Cat, cause it can kill something. In a Cat you need forever to kill a Fighter, because its to slow for its light weapons, in a Arrow you could at least keep your enemy in sight long enough to blow him to hell.

I always liked the Thunderbolt. It wasn't the best fighter. But i got that Old Warhorse feeling from it. Kinda like the F-4 Phantom II. It wasn't really a dedicated attack aircraft or fighter. But it could perform both roles. I always preferred flying the Thunderbolt to the Arrow or Hellcat in WC 3. I'd rather have extra armor and weapons than speed any day.

In my opinion the Border Worlds craft in WC 4 were better than their confed counterparts. I would take any of them, a Banshee, Vindicator, or Avenger over their Confed counterparts.

Here's my take on the WC3 craft:

Arrow:
Light and fast, but with decent shields unlike the Epee and Ferret--you can actually take on a wing of bombers in an Arrow. With its eight missiles and Laser/Ion guns, it is like a slightly lighter, faster version of the WC2 Rapier.

Drawback: You can only carry HS/IR missiles. I would really love to be able to carry Dumbfires to knock out a Pahktan or Vaktoth in one shot.

Hellcat:
Despite carrying only six missiles to the Arrow's eight, it is able to carry all types of missile. Also, it has slightly greater shields, armor, and gunpower, but less speed.

Drawback: The Hellcat only does 120 damage per shot compared to the Arrow's 96 damage per shot, and that's only if you are firing from within the Neutron guns' much shorter range. The result is that the need for close-in combat with the shorter windows to "take a shot" reduces the advantages of having the heavier guns. The WC4 version of the Hellcat with longer range Particle guns instead of the Neutron guns fixes this problem (it also gets 148 damage per shot). I think that if the WC3 version also had Ion/Particle instead of Ion/Neutron, then it would go a long way toward making it seem more equal to the other fighters.

Thunderbolt:
Carrying the heaviest guns of any fighter before the Excalibur becomes available, enemy fighters simply disintegrate before it . . . IF you can hit them, that is--its slower turning rate makes it difficult to track Darket and Strakha light fighters. However, against heavier targets it reigns supreme, and its single torpedo makes it preferable to the Longbow for any mission where you don't need more than one torp.

Drawback: The Tbolt's armor is a bit on the thin side for such a slow fighter.

Longbow:
With four torpedoes and SIXTEEN missiles, the Longbow can blast apart anything that it can hit. Unfortunately, its slow turning rate makes it nearly impossible to track Darket or Strakha fighters. Ideally you should be able to take them out using missiles, but in practice you may run out of missiles before you run out of targets, leaving you in trouble. In general, it is better to take the Tbolt and get the better guns, speed, and maneuverability unless your mission calls for having more missiles or torpedoes than the Tbolt can carry.

Drawback: Short range Neutron guns--see Hellcat, above. I suggest using the WC4 Ion/Plasma combination instead.

Excalibur:
With twelve missiles and an unmatched set of guns, and with more speed and agility than the Hellcat, the Excalibur has enough attack power to make it a juggernaut. Unfortunately, its defense power does not match.

Drawback: Excalibur's armor is equal to the Hellcat's, which would be okay except that Excalibur missions tend to have you up against much larger waves of fighters than non-Excalibur missions. Armor of 150 instead of 110 would be more appropriate.

Originally posted by ck9791
In my opinion the Border Worlds craft in WC 4 were better than their confed counterparts. I would take any of them, a Banshee, Vindicator, or Avenger over their Confed counterparts.

Yes, the UBW had some pretty good craft. I hold the Avenger as the best bomber ever. I also hold the Banshee at a tie with the Ferret as best light fighter. The Banshee's Kilrathi-esque design is pretty neat too!

Still, the Hellcat V is where my heart is :)

So far in Prophecy: SO, I am up to 655 kills, with several missions to go. Spyder has about 135, none of the rest of the "wingmen" have even broke 100.:mad: Non- hackers.:mad:

Back