The Iceman Maneuver?

Exactly! He should have been handing them coded IF statements and such rather then a bunch of tall tales about pirates and retros...

I've always wanted to get ahold of that laser that doesn't use up energy, and does one shield bar of damage per hit, and then destroys fully armored craft with one hit when the shields are down. And, what faction were those guys, anyway? Those helmets never showed up in the game.

The fact that they were flying Talons with pirate markings is a good hint.

Also, that they were engaging in piracy.

You guessed it: they were Stelteks.

Well, obviously from that, but the VDU image was an oddity. And, they could have been particularly crooked Militia. And, I'd never noticed different markings between Pirate and Militia talons. If I could still play good ol' privateer, I'd go back and check.

That's what the Talon Chart is for:

talons.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
3: retro
4: militia
5: pirates

and guessing
2: Super Wing Commander Gratha (I think it was Gratha)
1: Privateer 2 secret ship

We've got 3 through 5 in our project, though it is hard to see the difference in flight, as it was in the original for me. I never knew they had different markings until someone told me :-/

*edit* curses, foiled again

Seems strange -- learning the difference between the three Talons seemed really important for me... seeing the color schemes on the 'picture view' VDU was the easiest way to tell whether or not you were in for a fight before being able to afford color scanners.

Those in game shots don't look as different from each other as the ships in the gun chart do. I can see them clearly now of course, but back when I was playing, all talons basically looked white to me.

Then again, after every takeoff I would press throttle full, guns on, itts on and switch to the wireframe VDU (G, I, E, \) Never spent much time in the view VDU mode, which might have helped :p

Heeeey... so they actually look different INGAME... the low res and the low survivalbility of the talons didn't help me notice it.

Edfilho said:
Heeeey... so they actually look different INGAME... the low res and the low survivalbility of the talons didn't help me notice it.

Same here. I allways just used the comm options to tell who was flying the wimpy little talon.

Bandit LOAF said:
Seems strange -- learning the difference between the three Talons seemed really important for me... seeing the color schemes on the 'picture view' VDU was the easiest way to tell whether or not you were in for a fight before being able to afford color scanners.

I always opened the communications list and checked how that identified the targeted ship.

Back