The COST of freedom :)

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
How much does your average WC game cost? By average I mean a game like Prophecy, I just want to see how much mula EA would have to scrape out for a new WC game is all :)

WC4 cost quite a bundle...a couple million. It's not cheap to build all of those sets, program all of that code, hire those actors (especially Bernard, Hamill and Wilson), hire an company to do the special effects...

$8 MIL!

You'd need to shift an awful lot of units to make a profit on that sort of investment!

That sort of amount's frightening, especially if like me you remember the days of bedroom programmers on the C64.

but if EA makes a new WC they won't dish out the cash like they did on WC-IV, they'll go cheaper like Prophecy, I wasn't exactly clear on what you said on the Prophecy price, you said 500-1000k (k meaning thousands), but then you said millions, so I can't take that seriously...

Me confused... :(

O.K. people remenber this....

WC III had actors for the FMV, that cost money since they dont work for free.

WC IV had sets made like the movies do (WC III used blue screen a lot with few set pieces) and had a lot more actors, that and the fact the it was made after WC III means that it cost more.

WC P had actors and sets (but fewer sets that WC IV) but it costed less since there was less FMV and the actors were most releative unknow (that is, require less pay) that WC IV cast.

I dont know but I think that WC IV still costed more that WC P and there was a bigger time gap (that is infaction) that WC III - IV.

Originally posted by Mav23
but if EA makes a new WC they won't dish out the cash like they did on WC-IV, they'll go cheaper like Prophecy, I wasn't exactly clear on what you said on the Prophecy price, you said 500-1000k (k meaning thousands), but then you said millions, so I can't take that seriously...

Me confused... :(
1000k is a million. sorry about that.
I dont think it cost *more* then a million, the quality was crap (mainly cause the cd skipped on my drive lol :)) and there werent that many, but whatever. Id say it was reletively cheap for a WC game (looking back at WC3 and 4)

Um, WC3 had far far more FMV, Earthworm. Theres parts in WC:p where you could play 3 missions and not see a shred of FMV (not counting the "Rachel" talk and checking your killscore) while WC3 had at least one FMV scene after every mission.

Originally posted by Supdon3
I think mpanty meant how much does it cost to develop a new game.
Originally posted by Supdon3
whoops. I meant Mav23
Are you having dreams about me, Supdon? :)
Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
WC3 - 4 million.
WC4 - 14 million.
WCP - 1 million.
I'm still amazed by the difference in cost of WC4 and WCP...
Granted, acting in WCP was not very good, and they didn't bother buying a "full scale model of a shuttle" like in WC4, but still... a 13 million difference!! :eek:

[Edited by mpanty on 07-04-2001 at 09:30]

According to the director, WCP was made rather desperately -- by calling in every favor he had in Hollywood... in the hopes that it'd spawn a new series of WC games.

Back