The Battlestar Galactica Thread

Yeah... it's rather ugly up there actually. Thankfully I don't go to that campus!

Funny stories from there too. Apparently the engineering students were asked to identify what the building was based on the architectural blueprints of the university (not knowing that it was their own campus) and their first guess was a prison.

Did you know that same area has been filmed for other television shows and movies such as The Outer Limits, The Sixth Day, and Agent Cody Banks?

Since we're talking so much about your university... Which university is it?

(And how come I have a feeling it's in Canada?)

New to the boards, Love WC, but now have to put my two cents worth in on BattleStar Galatica.

I enjoyed it. As a totale remake I think it worked. Now I know some of you may be fans of TOS, but so am I. I enjoyed it, but in today's view and with my growth in taste for scifi (more military) I don't think they could have done a better job. If they tried to remake TOS I don't think they could have done a very good job in many aspects: no one would be able to play the characters exactly the same, and it would just be wrong to even try.

I got all the basics and plot hooks they were setting up. I thought the CGI was great (much better then the WC movie and please don't jump on me, I am a fan, but I have to admit like the D&D movie, it wasn't a good movie... but movies I enjoyed anyways). The acting for where they wanted to go was exactly what was needed.

I hope they make it into a series.

I didn't see it (I'd been warned about it beforehand), but I have heard quite a bit about it, so some various odds and ends...

The official news so far is that it won't be turned into a series, but despite that, SciFi went ahead and extended the option to renew the actors' contracts to the end of January (so they've got until the end of January to change their minds and resign everyone for a regular series). One conjecture is that SciFi doesn't want to blow the budget with a series that's heavy on FX, and reportedly one individual has been pushing for the show, with the idea of running it as a soap in space.

That's just a rumor, however, so I'd be cautious with the amount of weight you give it.

Edward James Olmos (Adama in the mini-series) stated before the series ran that if you were a fan of the original, you probably wouldn't like the result. I've heard that he got into a bit of trouble for making that statement.

IGN, in their review, wondered why the nukes didn't generate EMP fields that disabled all of the Cylons. Then again, given how badly the original series ignored the laws of physics, these sorts of things are probably forgiveable.

Someone stated that it was the first time they'd seen realistic zero-g physics. Babylon 5 featured this with the Earth Alliance ships (although many of the alien races had more advanced propulsion technologies that allowed them to move differently).

From what I've heard, the similarities between the old and new series pretty much start and stop with one word - names.

The recently released video game for the PS2 is tied to the mini-series, and is set during the war decades earlier.

Starbuck was apparently cast as a female because if the character was a guy, he'd be endlessly compared to Dirk Benedict. And once that happens, it doesn't matter who you cast as the end result will always be considered inferior (probably the one move I agree with, even if I view the end result as somewhat heretical).

junior said:
Edward James Olmos (Adama in the mini-series) stated before the series ran that if you were a fan of the original, you probably wouldn't like the result. I've heard that he got into a bit of trouble for making that statement.

Didn't Bamber also tell fans to buy the original series DVDs and to stay far, far away from the miniseries?

Back