The Battlestar Galactica Thread

I could have sworn it said William Adama "Husher"

All in all I liked it, it had it's downsides, for me it was the score, it just didn't add to the drama, the drums and stuff weren't bad, but they didn't have enough variety.

Apollo is kinda a bitch though isn't he? Gets messed up like twice. The girl that played Starbuck was a little over the top, not that I disagree of a woman playing the character, I am open for new things.

It was also interesting what they did with Boomer at the end, she didn't have a real big part, then it is revealed she is a Cylon. It might be interesting if she gets activated, but still wants to be with the humans, in this day of film making. Star Trek has done it, and WC (though Ralgha was a traitor, Kirha wasn't though)

We will just have to wait and see if the movies get the ratings they need so they can make a follow up mini series.

What happened with Robert Hatch's version of Battlestar, did it fall through, or did they just decide to go with this one.(would seem smart with the ages of the original characters, youth sells in a regular market)

And I noticed in the credits that Mr Larson was a producer, did this mini series replace his project, the one with the Pegasus.

BlackJack2063 said:
All in all I liked it, it had it's downsides, for me it was the score, it just didn't add to the drama, the drums and stuff weren't bad, but they didn't have enough variety.

Yeah, the music could've been much better. I think that really would've helped.

I liked it overall, I was really put off by the wild camera work, it added nothing and was very distracting. I guess you just can't get away from that stuff nowadays. I like the concept and the story seems pretty good. It seems wierd that Starbuck and Apollo have the hots for each other, though. I also think that all the tie - ins to the original series were done in a fairly decent way. Not that I ever thought much of the original series. :D

BlackJack2063 said:
What happened with Robert Hatch's version of Battlestar, did it fall through, or did they just decide to go with this one.(would seem smart with the ages of the original characters, youth sells in a regular market)

I'm pretty sure the producers mentioned Richard Hatch in an interview when the question was asked about him. They pretty much said that 'he can do whatever he wants to create a new series, but we have the rights.'

I really enjoyed the ne miniseries. The first episode (especially the first hour and its over active hormones) was a bit much but it evened out and the second episode was spectacular in my opinion. I hope to see it turned into a regular series soon. Some of the acting was off but others like Commander Adama were spot on. I have very few complaints about it and those complaints are ones I can live with.

Considering how horrible the Wing Commander movie was its nice to see some good space fighter action for a change.

SUPER NEON BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 2003 - PART ONE
by Ron Moore

PROLOGUE
EXT. POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION

(Note: Since actually showing anything remotely interesting on-screen is anathema to this production, all background information will be provided via onscreen text. No, really.}

Text: MANKIND INVENTED CYLONS. BUT CYLONS WERE EVIL AND BAD. THEN THERE WAS A WAR. LATER, THE CYLONS WENT AWAY AND EVERYONE FORGOT ABOUT THEM. A POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION WAS SET UP TO MONITOR THE PEACE, BECAUSE ACTUALLY CHECKING ON THE EVIL WAR ROBOTS PROGRAMMED TO KILL US SEEMS LIKE TOO MUCH WORK. ALSO, IF THE CYLONS BLOW UP THE POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION SET UP TO MONITOR THE PEACE, NO ONE WILL CARE AND THEY WILL STILL ACHIEVE A COMPLETE SURPRISE ATTACK.

INT. POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION

ADMIRAL MOTTI
As a Battlestar Galactica fan, I sure love my folder of blueprints! Also, look at this picture of my kids! That humanizes me!

Enter SOME CYLONS

ADMIRAL MOTTI
I'm not especially interested in SOME CYLONS.

Enter A GIRL CYLON

ADMIRAL MOTTI
A GIRL CYLON! Lets have sex!

GIRL CYLON
Okay, because that makes sense. Also, we're blowing up the space station now. We just came over to the space station that we're in the process of blowing up to let you know that it's being blown up. And for some sex. During the blowing up.

EXT. POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION

The POORLY CGI'D SPACE STATION *BLOWS UP*!

SCENE TWO
INT. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA HALLWAY

TOUR GUIDE
Originally, Battlestar Galactica was a midly entertaining ripoff of Star Wars, but now...

TOUGH GIRL PILOT
Make room! I'm a tough girl pilot! Take note of this!

FAT MEXICAN CAPTAIN
I hate technology, because of the Cylons are going to use it to destroy the world! I blame myself for my son dying! The president has breast cancer!

SCENE THREE
INT. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA POKER ROOM

TOUGH GIRL PILOT (Smoking a *CIGAR*! Because she's *TOUGH*!)
Poker? I just met her!

ANDROGYNOUS PILOT
Hah hah hah hah.

OTHER GIRL PILOT
I guess that's why they call you WHAT YOUR NAME IS.

TOUGH GIRL PILOT
And your skill for exposition is why they call you WHAT YOUR NAME IS.

ANDROGYNOUS PILOT
Hah hah hah hah.

TOUGH GIRL PILOT
All I did was sit in Lt. Cmdr. Chen's fighter!

HUNTER
She's a *PILGRIM*! You're under arrest!

SCENE FOUR

TEXT: "CAPRICORN ONE / CAPRICORN CITY / PLANET CAPRICORN / CAPRICORN SYSTEM / CAPRICORN GALAXY"

GIRL CYLON
I guess I didn't blow up afterall. Now I can have sex with Baltar.

BALTAR
Yay! Here are the command codes.

GIRL CYLON
But do you *love* me?

BALTAR
Sure.

GIRL CYLON
Hah hah, you love a robot.

BALTAR
Now, for a sexy, mature pun.

GIRL CYLON
I'm *HOT*! (GIRL CYLON GLOWS GLOWS RED HOT)

SCENE FIVE

EXT. CAPRICORN ONE MARKET

GIRL CYLON
We're going to destroy this entire planet with nuclear weapons! But people won't know I'm evil unless...

{ENTER - A BABY}

GIRL CYLON
... I kill A BABY!

(GIRL CYLON kills A BABY)

SCENE SIX

INT. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA BRIDGE

FAT MEXICAN CAPTAIN (giving a speech)
A lot of people have died on Battlestar Galactica, daggit. But the most important casuality... was my sons love for his father! I'm sorry, ENTIRELY NON MEXICAN SON, that I let you down in a matter entirely unrelated to the important decomissioning speech I'm giving!

MISTER OBUTU
Sir, Cylons are attacking the fleet! There's a huge battle going on! Thirty Battlestars have been destroyed!

FAT MEXICAN CAPTAIN
That sounds interesting! Can we see it?

MISTER OBUTU
No.

THE END

. . . they copy a lot of that "A.I. getting too much out of hand" that movies such as the Terminator and Matrix series portrays . . .

I’m so tired of that recurrent theme. The only way that will work for me anymore is if the plot provides a really convincing reason for the machines turning against us, which for me means delving into the nature of the given machine consciousness. The only times I became mildly interested in B.G. were when the baby is killed–not the killing itself, but the poorly related idea behind it–and when the blonde Cylon is blown up but doesn’t “die” since, as she explains, her memory simply gets transmitted into another model. (Somehow. Yeah, the script sacrificed “seeing is believing” for “saying is believing”.) The possible implications–that memory equals consciousness, or that memory is the only aspect of sentience and thought that defines one individual from another, or that memory is, in this case, the only thing that distinguishes one Cylon from another–were intriguing, but given the overall superficiality of the two-parter, I’m pretty skeptical a series would explore that plotline in more detail.

Something I read from another forum:

Odd how nobody has pointed out the one thing that really, really made this show stand out from most other sci-fi out there, at least for me. I can sum it up in two words: Newtonian Physics.

This is the first show I've seen where the battles in space actually attempt --and make a very good go at it-- to portray zero-g, zero-atmosphere combat. All the little details -- from the directional thrusters, to the quick backflips, to letting inertia do the work for you-- impressed the hell out of me. I'm so glad they didn't go for Star Wars-like graceful swooping for the combat sequences.

Wait a minute, they have a cylon girl, a robot that looks like a regular person? Without the moving-red-light in the eye thing? Weird.

I remember this show from the late early 80's when it was on Brazilian TV, I was very young. The Cylons were evil robots with the red eye things on space ships, what was very cool at the time.

I think they had a vampire or something on one episode. And on a tv movie they ended up on Earth during WW2 and found some nazis. Is that correct?

Well, this "mankind made the Cylons" has anyting to do with the original, or it's just new?

And... If this series takes place after the original one, how can there be a lot of Battlestars? Wasn't the Galatica the only one left?

The galactica in the new series is what around forty years. The original series it was what five hundred yarens (or whatever they used). The mentioned the age of the galactica in "message from earth". (or at least I think that is the episode name)
Overall I liked the new mini-series, the physics were good I liked the realness behind them. It has the bad reputation that all remakes have.
The new starbuck was hard to get used to, I don't realy mind the being woman thing, but how she was played, she missed something that the original had. A smoothness that the original had, and it would have been interesting to see her with Starbucks hedonistic side. The Apollo was hard to get used to, mainly the actor that played him didn't seem manly enough.
Anyone can nitpick all day long, but I was entertained, that is all that matters.

Good god. To all you people slamming BG: We're Wing Commander fans here. Admit it, isn't Wing Commander IV one of your favorite movies? It's one of mine.

Now how is the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries NOT better than that? I mean, it's not a masterpiece. Or even great. But seriously, lets keep some perspective on what's good and what's bad.

Now how is the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries NOT better than that?

The Battlestar Galactica miniseries outshines Wing Commander IV in, perhaps, set design. It comes up about a zillion kilometers short in every other area - it's poorly conceived, poorly acted, poorly written, poorly effected and completely immature.

Bandit LOAF said:
The Battlestar Galactica miniseries outshines Wing Commander IV in, perhaps, set design. It comes up about a zillion kilometers short in every other area - it's poorly conceived, poorly acted, poorly written, poorly effected and completely immature.

WCIV's music was way better than in BG, actually. Kinda liked where it was going in some spots... but it was way too wallpaperish.

Really, though. I love Wing Commander IV a lot. But it's NOT all that good compared to the Battlestar Galactica miniseries.

It's difficult to really qualify feelings about acting. There are different styles, different things different directors go for. WCIV and BG definately had different acting. But BG definately didn't have BAD acting. Wing Commander IV (and, well, any live action Wing Commander incarnation) most definately did, as in the acting in certain places from certain characters could make a reasonable person physically ill under the right circumstances.

The writing was not perfect in BG. I actually shouted 'WHY!?!' at my screen after the baby was killed. And there were other things. But Moore is no slouch, and he for the most part delivered the goods.

One sex scene to help establish the fact that the dude was having a steamy affair with a robot is only gratuitous and immature if you're my mother.

Oh yeah, and the special effects were pretty good. Not quite sure how WCIV had better CG effects... but maybe that was just some LOAFish hyperbole to ram home the point.

PeteyG said:
The writing was not perfect in BG. I actually shouted 'WHY!?!' at my screen after the baby was killed. And there were other things. But Moore is no slouch, and he for the most part delivered the goods.

Wow... they actually killed a baby? I thought LOAF had just made that up to make fun of the cliched evilness... :(

Back