TCS Coral Sea

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
A coupla questions,

First, if anyone knows the context/page number the ship is mentioned in in Action Stations I'd love to know...

Second, do we know that the Coral Sea was the first in her class of heavy carriers? Everything I've read on the forums suggests that there was indeed a "Coral Sea"-class...

Thirdly, did it survive that opening manuvers of the war? There were Nine Carriers in service to the fleet at the start of Action Stations, and the end of the book says that six were destroyed, leaving three in sevice. One of these was obviously the Ark Royal...

Lastly, was there another ship in the Wing Commander universe to bear the name "Coral Sea"? I believe LOAF's list of Carrier Service dates states that in '86 there's another carrier coming online named the Coral Sea, maybe a Midway Class? Anyway, a little help?

First, if anyone knows the context/page number the ship is mentioned in in Action Stations I'd love to know...

I don't have a copy of the book at work, but I believe it's just one of the ships mentioned as being destroyed during the Kilrathi attack on the 7th Fleet.

Second, do we know that the Coral Sea was the first in her class of heavy carriers? Everything I've read on the forums suggests that there was indeed a "Coral Sea"-class...

To the best of my knowledge, it's neither a heavy carrier nor the first of its class. I believe Action Stations calls it "the fleets heaviest carrier", and ends the description there. Anything other than that is non-canon.

Thirdly, did it survive that opening manuvers of the war?

No.

Lastly, was there another ship in the Wing Commander universe to bear the name "Coral Sea"? I believe LOAF's list of Carrier Service dates states that in '86 there's another carrier coming online named the Coral Sea, maybe a Midway Class? Anyway, a little help?

Yes, it's the fourth Midway-class ship.

The list doesn't include any of the unknown "pre-Concordia" classes of carriers (ie, pre-war stuff).

There's only one "pre war" Concordia - the TCS Concordia herself. She entered service in 2634.

Should look just like the Lexington in WC4.

Sorry, I was wrong earlier in this thread. The Ark Royal was the second Concordia-class ship. Referring to the group of eight carriers requested by the previous administration: "We only got two, one of them the new Concordia." (p.48)

Back to the original question, the Coral Sea reference is on page 270.

I take it the Bengals are the wrong type of carrier for inclusion in the list?

Just curious, as it seems an otherwise odd omission.

Yeah - they're Strike Carriers, which operate independently, so aren't counted among the Fleet Carriers.

Okay, just updated with a new version - fixes an error in the Concordia math and adds the "pre war" carriers.

Do we know of any other Lexington class carriers?

And, how does the Concordia class Lexington fit into this?

Hey Loaf, I know your busy and all (Thanks for answering my questions so thouroughly, by the way) but is there any possible way you could update that list so that in the later years, especially, all the ships of the same class are listed together?

It looks like right now they're listed by shipname, alphabetical order, which is great for looking for a specific ship...but not so great when looking for class totals.

I really love that list, by the way, I think it's one of the coolest ones ever. Maybe I can find for the US Navy during WWII...

Back