TCS Coral Sea

Presumably the "new" Lexington operated in the intervening period, between when the old Lexington was destroyed and salvaged. During that time there were no carriers named Lexington in the fleet, so ConFleet decided to name it Lexington, in honor of the dead Concordia. The new Lexington went off...

... and got killed, as shown in Armada. Afterward, ConFleet decided to salvage the old Lexington and give it back its old name, since there weren't any Lexingtons on the log anymore.

Hey Loaf, I know your busy and all (Thanks for answering my questions so thouroughly, by the way) but is there any possible way you could update that list so that in the later years, especially, all the ships of the same class are listed together?

Thanks for the kind words. I can certainly see how that'd make organization easier - I'll work on reordering it this afternoon.

There is a book which you can get on amazon that lists all aircrafts carrier built by every nation up until the early 80's. I forgot the name but it is an extremely complete list.

Thank you for your Opinion, Dundradal, but I have frequently found those books to be not only inaccurate, but every single one that I have ever seen has NOT included AMERICA's aircraft Carriers. Further, several nations (Great Britain, France, and Russian amoung them) have ALL Launched Aircraft Carriers SINCE the 80's.

Furthermore, what I was asking about was a table of US Carriers ONLY, covering a SPECIFIC Time Period, and including data on when they were sunk, what class they were, when they were launched and what years they were produced.

This is HUGELY differant then a book about Aircraft Carriers.

If you saw it on Amazon, and don't own it (I presume, since you don't know it's name or are to lazy to check) how do you know it is an "extremely complete list"?

He Loaf, maybe you can help me with something else...

I seem to recall reading somewhere (I may be horribly off-base here) in a Wing Commander Novel where they were speaking about a specific ship, and her shield status.

The exact line went something like "Shield power at XX% and expected to upgrade to XX within the hour."

Loaf, or anyone, for that matter, recognize that? Been trying to figure out what book it was from.

Do a google search for US Aircraft carriers and you fill find a complete list with all that info, at least for the fleet carriers.

I'm going to retract my earlier statment about the list of carriers...because no one seems to understand!

The revised statement is contained below:

"Wow, Loaf! That list is amazing! Maybe I can find a Historically Accurate Data-Table summerizing the ENTIRE Force of United States Aircraft Carriers Produced, Sunk, Lost, And in Service, and their Service records dates, And their class name, and how many of that class were in service, between the years of 1941 AD and 1945 AD on the internet so I don't have to pay for it, compiled by someone who loves the USN as much as I do and would do it justice!"

Forgot to mention...

Oh and Psych, Thanks a BILLION for that page number! That's really above and beyond for you to find. If you were just reading the novel and stumbled across it, don't tell me, just bask in the glow of my admiration.

Wow, its so clear now! You want a something thats specialized to your needs, that you don't want to pay for, that you don't have to do any research to get and you want someone else to find it. Nevermind that all the data you want is probably a few searches away and the only thing you would need to do is correlate the results you gather.

Dummies "How to find WWII American Aircraft Carriers" guide:
1. Search for all American aircraft carriers on Google
2. Pick a site, say the fourth hit (or I just noticed Nob Akimoto link is probably better)
3. figure out which carriers were around during WWII by (God forbid), actually reading the information supplied
4. whatever data is not given on this website for a specific carrier, search for your required information about the specific carrier
5. Repeat step 4 for whatever carriers meet your criteria
6. Verify your results

Note: for any other "How to find ___" guide, insert your subject instead of "carrier" into the above steps.

C-ya

You know, there's a book called "American Warships of WWII" or something that has virtually every combat and non-combat ship that was ever remotely involved in the war. I don't know if it's still in print, but there's one at my library; why not look?

Jason_Ryock said:
Oh and Psych, Thanks a BILLION for that page number! That's really above and beyond for you to find. If you were just reading the novel and stumbled across it, don't tell me, just bask in the glow of my admiration.

It wasn't that hard. I had remembered it from Fleet Action, and narrowing the time window the quote would have taken place (I would assume it was during the intense combat part) I just browsed through the last quarter or so of the book.

Actually Viper, I'm already more then halfway along on the process, it's something I started when I thought about it back in my ORIGINAL post.

Honestly though, I'm kind of surprised that it's not out there already. I assumed someone would have already created one, and Wing Commander being related to the Navy, perhaps someone here at CIC had stumbled across it. It was not through any part of lazyness on my behalf, in fact immediatly after posting that post I did about 60 differant searches in attempt to find a match that resembled what I was looking for, with no luck.

As for my needs, well I won't bother to debate that. Without Navy data to look at, I'd spend all day reading Wing Commander Novels, and then I'd probably end up like you...

I've found that when researching Naval History (And that's about it) I find the research quite fascinating, as opposed to say, working on a Research Paper for English. As a result, I have no problem spending countless hours working on looking up information. In fact, before I even did a search at another site, I already had SEVERAL sites in my favorites folder that have provided me with most (and I stress, not all) of the information I am desiring. All that remains is to finish arranging it in such a way as to make it presentable, as LOAF has done.

I have a coupla questions about the list, still.

First, do the colors mean anything? Looks like ships of the same class are grouped together with one color.

Second, You left the TCS Cerberus and the CVE-class off the list, was there a reason for this? I ask because you felt the Bengals were important enough to mention at the bottom.

Thirdly, in 2665 you have accounted for around 45 Concordia Class ships, 8 Jutland Class ships, and 3 of the Pre-war Carriers. What happened to those ships? They almost just drop off the list at that point. I can't account for them all being destroyed anywhere....yeah, maybe you can explain this to me, it's got me scratching my head.

Second, You left the TCS Cerberus and the CVE-class off the list, was there a reason for this? I ask because you felt the Bengals were important enough to mention at the bottom.

Well, the Cerberus is a cruiser - and cruisers are certainly outside the scope of the list. I felt the same way about CVEs and Light Carriers - there's not enough data on them, and they don't really fit the same mold as fleet carriers. I included the notation about Bengals because everyone brings them up whenever there's a topic involving the carrier list (G)

They're color coded by class.

Back