Your model reminds me of a concordia one

Attachments

• connie.jpg
    connie.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 503
powell99 said:
Your model reminds me of a concordia one

I dunno if I quite understand you...
I kept it in the WC2 color scheme, something the book cover doesn't do.

And for the most part, yeah, I agree that from the front it looks like a mini-Concordia... with a landing-bay carved out ;)

Perhaps I'm simply forgetting references, but are you sure the hangar bay takes up that much space in the hull? I mean nevermind there's not much rooms for engines (which, being taken from the Gilgamesh design, are probably not tiny, though I'll grant you that last is mere speculation on my part), with the hangar making up that much of the hull there's rather little space for munitions, spare parts, crew members, or fuel.

I think that the hangar should be a bit narrower, because they seem to have great pains moving the fighters around, and your hangar seems to be spacious, even if filled with ships.

I know the spacing is questionnable, I think about it dozens of times-over eatch day ( it relaxes me to think about WC stuff while at work ). I keep trying new configuration when I get a minute at home.

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/963/deck310ag.gif
At a glance, it seems to work.

If I try and narrow this flight deck any further, the next time a sabre launches, it'll rip the noses off all its sister ships:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/349/deck324ec.gif
And of course, I haven't added all the extras yet... not just planes on this deck you know.

Another thing to look at in the moving of the ships around is that there's no free space to park a fighter. You have to move a fighter past where you want it, pull the fighter out of the slot you want to put it in, move that fighter to the other fighters now empty space, and then park the new one in the new space. That's quite tricky, compared to the Tiger's Claw, or Concordia where you can pull four fighters out, park them in a corner of the hanger deck, move four fighters into their place, and then move the other four to the new place you want them.

Secondly, a Fleet Carrier, with it's larger deck, would be able to be moving two or three fighters around at the same time, making the task of juggling fighters that much simpler. With the current spacing on that Tarawa Flight deck, this is just impractical. With the exception of the Ferrets you can really only move one fighter at a time, MAYBE two at the most, making the shuffling of twelve ships to the front and twelve ships to the back with no free space to park them in REALLY Dicey.

Also, as a fleet carrier, the Concordia would be constantly launching and moving her ships around, meaning you'd always have free space available to put things in, as opposed to Tarawa, which hardly ever seems to just maintain even a cursory CAP while traveling or moving about (though it's possible - and likely - that during preplaned fleet movments, the ships don't maintain ships out and about). I think, especially from that picture of the Sabres, the spacing is quite perfect.

Yeah, I've looked at the pic, it is pretty clear that it can't be any narrower, therefore, Congrats, it is perfect :)

I saw the Wake class carrier on the September 21st CIC News, and it got me all nostalgic.
This is one of those things I just can't let go- my Tarawa flight deck.

I've been working with it on and off for the last... what, 5 years?.
A few things have changed, in some instances radical changes. Updates are in order.
And so this is an official "to the minute accurate" update.

A few years ago, I went back to square one.
tarawas2010a.gif

The perspective gets less accurate the further back from the bow we get, but it's fair to say this model is better than my last (the 2005 version).

NOW, I figured I could be creative as long as any hull feature from the bottom doesn't stick out if viewed from the book cover angle.
tarawa2010d.gif

Animated GIF

So with the basic hull shape figured out, I got to obsessing about the flight deck again...
tarawa2010e.gif

and again..
tarawa2010f.gif

Until I hit upon something colorful that reminds me of WC2.
tarawa2010g.gif

tarawa2010h.gif

tarawa2010i.gif

tarawa2010j.gif

Nothing's finished and anything could change if I find something that clashes with the Novel, but I like it... for now.

ANIMATED SPIN

DETAIL VIEW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Marc, do you still need any of your files from the old Reckoning FTP? I have a bunch of them still on there.

That includes the "original" Tarawa, the bulk transport, before she was converted to a carrier.

Sure, I'd like to take a look.
Thought I've forgotten how to access it.

got my current e-mail adress?

No need, your forum ID works fine :)

I took off a lot of stuff some time ago to help do my part in keeping the CIC server clean; most, if not all of that, I still have. I don't think I took any of your stuff down, though. If there's anything you swear you put there but can't find, just ask.

Word of warning: do *not* use Internet Explorer, nor input the wrong login username/password at your peril. And by "peril" I mean "IP-ban from everything on the CIC server", including the forums and IRC. If that happens, you'll have to contact Kris to get yourself unbanned. Learned that one the hard way. (Twice.)

Back