SWC Ships

So is the Phantom still slower than a Centaurian mud pig? :)

And why can't the other admins do the daily updates on the front page, LOAF?

They're all busy, too... I generally write the frontpage updates, although when I'm away for long periods they take over. Chris, ace, Kris, Hades, Hadrian and myself are the CIC staff members.

I think your mixed up.

That ship you have on the front page that's a scimiter. Is not a phantom, but the banshee in armada.

Hey... you're right. IIRC, the Banshee is the only one with those concentric rings around the nacelles.

Still, LOAF didn't explicitly state that it was a Phantom. Banshees are ghosts and that could also be interpreted as a Phantom. Ambiguous, but it explains the 'mistake'.

Well they look somewhat similer.

The Cockpits and front of both banshee and phantom are at least similer.

[Edited by Valiento on 05-02-2001 at 01:03]

The scim was 100 years old, then shouldn't it have been flying with the Wildcats and Hurricanes in the Battle of McAlliuff

Perhaps it was! The character we followed during the battle didn't fly a Scimitar -- but that doesn't mean that they didn't exist.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Perhaps it was! The character we followed during the battle didn't fly a Scimitar -- but that doesn't mean that they didn't exist.

Is it really true that the Scimitar was 100 years old? I mean I think that this sounds a bit too much, as if we look at the huge difference between the fighters if WC 2 and WC3 (from shields and so on), why could it be that the Scimitar was able to fly in front line service 100 years after its introduction (Well I know that today's phantom is still flying and first flew 1958, but still it seems a very long period of time, even with constant upgrades)

Originally posted by wcwraith
IIRC they were not at war for alot of that time

of course not, but the kilrathi war already lasted for many years when we got to fly the Scimitar in WC1, and mcauliffe and custers carnival already had taken place (I don't know if Scimitars did participate in these fights, but I think so), and as the first years of the war were the worst, I really doubt that confed could have fought so long with such an old design as the scimitar.

Perhaps constant upgrading kept it in combat for so long. Or it was extremely successful :eek: . And don't forget she was retired in SM2...

100 years is quite a long time for any craft to be in service! Probably the best one made for that time period, so good they kept upgrading it, and it filled the requirements as needed. But everything eventually has to be replaced with newer updated stuff. 100 years, amazing!

RFB

The Scimitar is really over a hundred years old -- but remember that most of the time it served was when Confed was *not* interested in the capabilities of fighters... certainly, it was often upgraded, just like any other fighter is.

Just an observation to add onto the appearance debate of the SWC Scimitar, the forward fueselage is from the Demon bounty hunter fighter from Privateer

"Just an observation to add onto the appearance debate of the SWC Scimitar, the forward fueselage is from the Demon bounty hunter fighter from Privateer"

Correction, the forward fusalage of the demon, the phantom,and the banshee are from the Super Wing commander game, since it came first.

Back