Status of WC

Dragonslayer

Spaceman
Im relatively new to the WC universe and I was wondering about its future. Beyond some cool looking MODs, a GBA Prophecy, and fan fictions it doesnt seem like much of anything new is coming out. Why is that? Wasnt Prophecy successful? And if so why is origin not continuing with the Nephilim war. I wanted to play some more with the characters and the ships from the game and Secret Ops.

There were a series of space sims that failed around the time of the Wing Commander movie. This, in conjunction with the shift of money towards more Ultima Online stuff, led to the cancellation of future Wing Commander games.

There's also a Wing Commander TV show in early development.

Originally posted by Dragonslayer
thats a real shame. i though prophecy in general was a positive step to the future. What is the TV show going to focus on

Nobody really knows.....it's a mystery! I'm crossing my fingers for new ship+crew during the Kilrathi War....

that sounds interesting. I wonder if they will use the crew from the games or the movie character. Please god, let it be the game.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Tiger's Claw circa WC1. Think Buffy the TV show to the Buffy movie.

Oh wow....do we really know that? I have been kind of behind....

hehehehehe....anyway, the show is going to be completely different than the movie? Cool! (you know, your Buffy analogy...)

Although the Tiger's Claw is kind of overdone, don't ya think? We've got a game, a TV series, and 3 books based on the Tiger's Claw.....we're gonna have *another* TV series for it?!

So, in response to your simple "No" answer, what does that mean? Does it mean that the series will be like the movie (i.e. set on the Mon Calamari Cruiser Tiger Claw and be completely unlike WC, visual-wise anyway) or like WCA and be on an (understandably) modified Tiger's Claw and resemble the rest of WC?

I would figure they'd shy away from anything WCM related, seeing as it utterly and completely flopped and nobody liked it....people will see the ads for it, and be like "Hey, I remember that movie! It sucked! Why are they making a show about it?"

I hate Origin for canceling WC sequels... but I love them for creating 5 games that marked my life.:cool:
WE WANT MORE,ORIGIN,YA HEAR?

Oh wow....do we really know that? I have been kind of behind....

As long as you mean some freakish definition of 'we' that includes me but not you.

hehehehehe....anyway, the show is going to be completely different than the movie? Cool! (you know, your Buffy analogy...)

Please don't be an idiot at the CZ. It's pretty obvious what my analogy meant.

Although the Tiger's Claw is kind of overdone, don't ya think? We've got a game, a TV series, and 3 books based on the Tiger's Claw.....we're gonna have *another* TV series for it?!

Because the Tiger's Claw is what someone pays money to tell a story about. Nobody spends millions of dollars to make a TV show to satisfy a fanboys wet dream -- if you pay to make a WC show it'll be using all the elements that has made WC a success... not 'a different ship with different characters doing different things'. That's called 'Space: Above and Beyond'. :)

So, in response to your simple "No" answer, what does that mean? Does it mean that the series will be like the movie (i.e. set on the Mon Calamari Cruiser Tiger Claw and be completely unlike WC, visual-wise anyway) or like WCA and be on an (understandably) modified Tiger's Claw and resemble the rest of WC?

I'm sure you can find a fantastic definition of the word no at dictionary.com. I'd link you, but I'm far too lazy to figure out how these stupid CZ block links work.

I would figure they'd shy away from anything WCM related, seeing as it utterly and completely flopped and nobody liked it....people will see the ads for it, and be like "Hey, I remember that movie! It sucked! Why are they making a show about it?"

No one saw the WC movie. The only people who assosciate it with being good or bad are the people who'll watch a WC show anyway.

more importantly loaf, you were extremely vague (ie did not mention it at all) as to which of several possibilites you were responding no to. No need to be a dick in your responses to people, it would have been more appropriate that after he voiced concern over not having a clue as to which of several possibilities to which you were refering to in your ever so descriptive "no", you then went on to explain which possibility was not going to happen, rather than instead stating the EXTREMELY obvious. Since you cannot answer no to his either/or question if you wish to show the least bit of human respect.

You could have been answering No to any of the following possibilities:

1. That it would have a totally new cast
2. That it would have totally new characters
3. That it would be like the movie
4. That it would be like WCATV/WC1 in it's portrayal of the ships
5. That the movie cast would be returning
6. That the game cast would be returning

I apologize, then! "No" is actually the answer to the question "can I get away with calling LOAF a dick without being banned?"

Wait, looking back I responded "no" to Ghost asking if it'd be about new people. How is this horribly offensive to you? I'm happy to discuss each of your questions, though...

1. That it would have a totally new cast

Almost certainly -- there's a huge disparity between TV and movie actors... no matter how much you hate Freddie Prinze Junior (and lets face it, everybody hates Freddie Prinze Junior) and love Mark Hamill, neither of them are going to be regulars on a TV show.

Almost certainly not -- it will probably follow the movie and WCA's dynamic of Blair and Maniac with various supporting characters.

3. That it would be like the movie

This is to what my Buffy analogy referred (or Stargate, if you're familiar with that series): similar in dynamic to the movie with many changes made.

4. That it would be like WCATV/WC1 in it's portrayal of the ships

Almost certainly not. A tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of people who would see a TV show would care that the ships were different from WC1. If *anything* it could use the same ships as the movie (I know, I know, go boycott whatever) because the high-res 3D models already exist.

5. That the movie cast would be returning

Again, almost certainly not.

6. That the game cast would be returning

Almost certainly not.

Almost certainly not -- it will probably follow the movie and WCA's dynamic of Blair and Maniac with various supporting characters.

Kinda unfortunate, imho. While I wouldn't mind seeing more of the stories of characters that we're familiar with, I think it might be nice to see the story focused on a different stretch of time. Otherwise, it starts to resemble UC Gundam (fifty years of continuity, and every last side story/ OVA is focused on the One Year War) And no matter how you look at it, the only real 'untold' section of the Blair and Maniac story is probably going to be found in the WC1 time period. After all, they split up when the Claw goes down, and their only missions together after that are pretty well documented. They serve together in SO2, presumably split up immediately afterward, serve together in WC3 and end the war (whereupon Blair retires), and the only combat missions that Blair probably flies after that are those found in WC4.

Wait, looking back I responded "no" to Ghost asking if it'd be about new people. How is this horribly offensive to you? I'm happy to discuss each of your questions, though...

Well, despite me thinking you were a bit harsh there, that's all I really wanted to know....I really didn't know what you were responding to with "no". I understand the meaning of the word...but there were lots of points brought up, and all you said was "no". I am satisfied now...

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Well, despite me thinking you were a bit harsh there, that's all I really wanted to know....I really didn't know what you were responding to with "no". I understand the meaning of the word...but there were lots of points brought up, and all you said was "no". I am satisfied now...

There was only one point brought up -- quoth Ghost "Surely it will be new people, specially if it is about WC1", to which I responded "no". This is a perfectly polite and sensible reply which for some reason Napoleon decided to troll about.

My intensely sarcastic reply to your followup post was a result of my annoyance that you decided to turn this thread into yet another movie-bashing session. Get over it, people.

Once I saw the movie for what it is, I liked it. It's a fun romp and it's got some great supporting characters.

Back