Star Wars Trilogy DVD set

I made your points A and B for you already -
This isn't that big a deal since everyone has already seen and and already knows
but I concede the validity of point C :D

I must admit I have not actually seen the scene in question, so I was unsure of the exact dialog. I'm still not sure exactly how it goes, but it sounds like it doesn't give away the surprise (for the hypothetical person who hasn't seen the movies yet)

LeHah said:
Portman isn't what one would call a good actress. Pretty, yes - but her talents run about as thin as a stream of urine down a cold brick wall.

Out of curiosity, is it any different on a hot brick wall?

I disagree about her acting abilities. She's not the greatest, but she does have a little range. True, in most of her movies she plays the same kind of role, but there are a few that stand out where she's done a much better job.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Sebastian Shaw was not removed entirely from the ghost scene in ROTJ.. it's still his body! Check the last few comparison pictures on this page. The posture, the clothes, down to every single fold, are exactly the same. All they did was lower the neckline and put Hayden's head there instead of Sebastian's LOL

Why didn't they replace Alec Guiness with what's-his-name from the prequels? Hmmmmmm? Talk about inconsistent. And why wasn't Yoda "youthed up" into a grub or whatever?

Hey, we know ZILCH about the rules and mechanics of being a Jedi Master Ghost. Maybe the ghost of anakin looks like him when he was still good. Maybe he can choose his appearance. And maybe they did it because Hayden looks nothing like Shaw, whereas Sir Guiness could be the elder Ewan.

dextorboot said:
Out of curiosity, is it any different on a hot brick wall?

Warm urine on a cold brick wall creates steam. I'm gonna give her about that much.

Edfilho said:
Hey, we know ZILCH about the rules and mechanics of being a Jedi Master Ghost.

Something that Lucas said he was going to discuss in Episode II - but never did.

In theory the ghost appearance is the one of the body that had the guy before he died (being in the light side of course)

That raises 2 things:

1)if Hayden appears that means that Vader-Skywalker died in the Dark side, not redeemed and being good (because the ghost of Shaw doesn't appears) so he lied to Luke.

2)The cloth...the ghost chooses the wardrobe, all of them have the same clothes, or what?

LeHah said:
Please refer yourself to part C of my arguement.

My mistake, I focused on parts A and B. I guess I'm just one of those nostalgic people who prefer the movies the way they were before.

Ghost said:
In theory the ghost appearance is the one of the body that had the guy before he died (being in the light side of course)

Rumor has it the Jedi chooses his appearance after he dies.

Thats stupid enough to be Lucas's offical word, though.

MamiyaOtaru said:
The problem I have with this scene is Luke's going to look at that guy and be like "who the heck is that smirking hippie?"

This is a good point - surely Luke would have only seen his dad when they were aboard the death star and Darth's helmet was taken off - therefore, when he sees the three jedi ghosts. he would be wondering who the hell Hayden was?!

It is and it isn't.

The scene unto it's self is just plain stupid - but if thats what Lucas wants, why not let him do it? I just want to kick him in the balls for not giving us the option of buying the OT in it's original format.

All these little things about consistency and such are interesting but ultimately pointless, your "average" viewer isn't going to know all the deep information on Star Wars and to them it's going to make perfect sense. The only thing that won't make sense is that how come Yoda can do all this kick ass flying around with a lightsabre against Dooku and then after the battle go to limping on his cane?! What's up with that? He can leap like a tiger in battle but still hobbles around? And besides, in this future of amazing medical technology they can't fix a little crippled leg? Who wants to live for that? Haha, just some random thoughts.

But seriously, the debate about Hayden versus Shaw is pointless...we all know who the real Vader is: James Earl Jones, he makes Vader!!!

LeHah said:
I just want to kick him in the balls for not giving us the option of buying the OT in it's original format.

I work under the theory that if Lucas just released these with the subtitle "Director's Cut" instead of "Special Edition" no one would really have a problem with it, other than not releasing the original versions.

I'm surprised he didn't release a separate original version considering there are plenty of people out there who would buy both versions or at least a version where they wouldn't have before.

Ripper said:
Why didn't they replace Alec Guiness with what's-his-name from the prequels? Hmmmmmm? Talk about inconsistent. And why wasn't Yoda "youthed up" into a grub or whatever?

Maybe everybody should listen to the commentary....DUH! *smacks head on desk*

At the end of RotJ Lucas explains that when a Jedi dies he goes back to his natural form. Anakin, not being in natural form when he dies because he is mainly machine, goes back to the last appearance of him in his natural form...Hayden Christiansen.

That's why he didn't replace Guiness with McGregor because Obi-Wan died in his natural form.

Oy....

Maj.Striker said:
The only thing that won't make sense is that how come Yoda can do all this kick ass flying around with a lightsabre against Dooku and then after the battle go to limping on his cane?! What's up with that? He can leap like a tiger in battle but still hobbles around?
Mrrm, not overuse the force a Jedi must, rely on his own strength should he :p.

T8H3X11 said:
Maybe everybody should listen to the commentary....DUH! *smacks head on desk*

At the end of RotJ Lucas explains that when a Jedi dies he goes back to his natural form. Anakin, not being in natural form when he dies because he is mainly machine, goes back to the last appearance of him in his natural form...Hayden Christiansen.

That's why he didn't replace Guiness with McGregor because Obi-Wan died in his natural form.

Oy....

Too bad the movie got so dicked up that someone had to do some kind of explanation in addition to the movie to try to make it make sense instead of it making sense in the first place.

Delance said:
And what about the Gungans on ROTJ? At least that one isn't suppoed to be Jar Jar.

Since Episode 1 came out people have been claiming that the reason Naboo and Gungans don't appear in the original trilogy is that they were destroyed by the Empire so Lucas added that scene to prove that Gungans still lived and Naboo was still there.

Back