Star Trek trailer

I have given this matter a lot of thought. Obviously, we can take it apart every which way - I can take five clips from the thing and praise them to high heaven... or I could take the same five and explain why they're permanently ruining Star Trek, my childhood and the entire world. So I'll say this: I think one of the great things we can take away from Enterprise (the show) is Doctor Phlox's absolutely underappreciated catchphrase -- Optimism, Captain!

My conclusion is: the major problem with the trailer is the opening 'car scene'. I understand the point, to force a reaction from Bond audiences... but the whole thing is poorly done. There's a "TV version" of the trailer posted now which omits the car... and that simple change is a vast improvement. I don't know if the scene belongs in the film, but I can tell you for damn sure that it doesn't belong in the trailer. It was clearly slapped on, to the point of detracting from the rest of the thing. It breaks the narrative in a bunch of strange ways... from the police officer robot sounding just like the narrator (Pike? And note that you can tell this wasn't the 'for us' trailer by the fact that we don't have Nimoy doing the voiceover) to how it confusingly duplicates the opening (Kid Kirk is in a car being chased by motorcycles... and then he's immediately a teenager on a motorcycle in a similar setting revealing the Enterprise? I will bet everything I own that the trailer was supposed to begin there before someone decided late in the process that it needed a Cloverfield-style gimmick.)

In spite of that, I would not worry that this is an action movie instead of a Star Trek movie. Remember: the whole project went all the way from conception to post-production with plans for a December, 2008 release. That is, the same unopposed winter Holiday slot that has been home to every Star Trek in recent memory. The move to the highly competetive 'summer action movie' position came after the thing was already made. It's possible that Mr. Abrams turned in a huge action movie instead of a story designed to reinvigorate Star Trek and that some on-the-ball executive realized this and changed their plans... but my guess is that it all came down to accounting. They saw how much they'd spent on this film and how much the similarly risky-concept Iron Man made last summer. As a result we get the fun action movie trailer (and advertising campaign), regardless of what's in the actual movie (a quick jaunt through YouTube will prove that you can package a movie trailer to any audience, regardless of a film's actual content).

Anyway - I do have my criticisms, but I also feel very strongly that horrible fans have hurt Star Trek greatly in the last several years. Now we have four zillion angry jerks raging about every tiny detail... when what their actual problem is is that they just don't know everything six months before the thing comes out. Is it different and weird and a little scary for those of us who have become accustomed to our particular view of Star Trek? Sure, maybe (regardless of Abrams' assurance that he's not altering the continuity - and spoiler suport this!)... but my God, how can Star Trek fans have a problem with a *strange new world*? Risk... is... our business! Your Honor, Starfleet was founded to seek out new life - well, there it sits!

Okay, okay, I'll stop. But you get the point. At some point we went from nitpicking for fun to nitpicking FOR SERIOUS and it hurt everybody. Lets back away from that, in so much as we can... and try and enjoy everything this movie brings about for us, good or bad.

You know, if you stopped with the generic internet fanboy act, you might not have a baby seal for an avatar, Mr Baby Seal Avatar jerk.

Give me time. Come on now, how long did it take you to move up from the gay Skeletor? And again, it really could have been, so there.

I have given this matter a lot of thought......

Aside from the lame car scene which I doubt will represent the entire movie, there wasn't anything in the trailer that makes me think there isn't at least a chance that it will be good or even great. The odds are probably against either happening, but it's still a possibility. I have Hope.

LOAF, I'll quite agree with you on the Cloverfield-type of pump-up...obviously look at the similarity of director for each film. In any event, like I (think) I said before, I'll certainly give it a go when it comes around, but I'm just not exactly "turned on" with the way the trailer is looking. I have to hope that there will be more substance to what the plotline actually is vs. the aspect of, "What can the weird human(oid) on the hoverbike do for you?" Obviously we all like some action with the Trek series, but I do hope y'all are right and that it's not the end-all, be-all of the film.

I'll give credit, though...at least Abrams got the origin of Kirk right, as the Iowa license plate is (barely) visible on the front of the 'Vette.

There's a new trailer online! it's mostly the same footage but it's aranged somewhat differently... and it ends with old spock. There's a few different clips, But overall (other than the awful car scene this one still starts with) it does feel slightly better.

480P
720P
1080P

I don't understand this whole idea of feeling Jaded by a movie. It's a movie. I doubt that if you had a kid watch this trailer he'd need someone like LOAF to tell him not to be afraid of it or convince him that it won't suck. I suggest if you have any children in your life of movie going age that you take them to see it so that you can appreciate watching a movie for entertainment instead of some kind of silly idealism that robs you of your enjoyment. Who knows, it may be horrible, but chances are it could be pretty great.

-Rance-

Or you could just take your kids to 'Dog Hotel' and still hope the new Star Trek is a quality production worthy of its most demanding fans.

I'm pretty stoked about the whole trailer. Car chase, ships, new design, new crew, new worlds...whatever. I thought it looked great. I'm really looking forward to it, and I get excited every time I watch the trailer (it was attached to DTESS and I've got it downloaded to my 360).

I dunno, maybe it's just me. My brother and I are both Star Trek fans, although he's more into it than I am. I can watch any of the series, not really care what's going on and still be entertained. As long as it has new worlds, aliens, cool ships and technology, a crew, attractive women, and a plot that can keep my attention for 60 minutes...I'm good.

I'm pretty stoked about the whole trailer. Car chase, ships, new design, new crew, new worlds...whatever. I thought it looked great. I'm really looking forward to it, and I get excited every time I watch the trailer (it was attached to DTESS and I've got it downloaded to my 360).

I've had pretty good responses from the people I've showed the HD trailer to downloaded onto my XBox. And it's made me more anxious to see the actual movie.

And see, that's my issue. The whole thing looks like a spaced-out version of Die Hard to me. I agree with the whole Corvette thing, especially after a WWIII exchange, but one thing disturbs me more than anything else: The JustAboutAlways Logical Spock looking like he's waxing Sylar (since, obviously, that's the same actor) while he's choking the living hell out of Kirk? There's rage there and the sense that he's enjoying it.

Timeline continuity is already blown out the window by even having Romulans in it, unless this has a time travel thing as its lynchpin. Romulans weren't supposed to have been seen or heard from in something like 100 years even during Trek's first season, and Kirk was supposed to have been in command for somewhere around a year by then...if not thrown out there by some writing thing somewhere, the familiarity between crew members would suggest that much.

Yes, I'll go see it, but the overt insertion of constant action scenes isn't what Trek is about...so unless there's another trailer that has some sort of actual plotline suggested, I'm skeptical.

I won't disagree that this seems like it could be a bad idea... but to try to put some of your concerns to rest... Kirk was extremely fond of antiques, so to have something like that may not have been too huge of a stretch... maybe.

Second, a rewatch of the original series would show you that, shockingly enough, Spock's emotions were closer to the surface then they're meant to be. I can remember seeing Spock smile at least 4 times in the first season alone... Plus let us not forget what was said in the Episode "Fallen Hero" of the Enterprise series, "They are our emotions too, we simply have found ways to suppress them." -Ambassador Valar

Third, and please don't ask me to cite sources because it was close to a year ago that I read this... but apparently there is supposed to be an element of time travel involved. Ambassador Spock (Played by Leonard Nemoy) will be following a group of Romulans back in time to prevent them from altering the time line. From what I've heard, Pike will be in command of the Enterprise with Kirk as one of his junior officers. I don't have all the details but something tells me that this will be the alternate timeline that the Romulans have created by doing something in the past... again this is just speculation, i don't remember where i read this.

I uploaded this new trailer I've encoded into Divx.

http://www.inascifi.com/videos/startrek2009-trl2b.avi

and here's the subtitles for it.
http://www.inascifi.com/videos/startrek2009-trl2b.srt

You might like to use Vobsub or something similar to display the subtitles alongside the trailer, so you won't miss any good detail from this.

There's a new trailer online! it's mostly the same footage but it's aranged somewhat differently... and it ends with old spock. There's a few different clips, But overall (other than the awful car scene this one still starts with) it does feel slightly better.

480P
720P
1080P

There seems to be a lot of... questions surrounding the assault and possible destruction of the USS Kelvin. I wonder what significance that ship has. It'll also be interesting that, if the theory about the time traveling is accurate, if they will portray the original Enterprise as it was in the series once everything has been fixed.

The Enterprise in question, in the Bridge module and torpedo launch more resembles the refit design.

What is the Kelvin anyway? Apollo Class?

Back