Star Trek trailer

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
The trailer for the new Star Trek movie went online yesterday in HD.

I'm a little torn here. I really want to love a new Star Trek movie and in parts this new one looks really great. They definitely want to sell this thing as an action movie. The special effects look superb and I'm always up for anything with space ships blowing up in it.

Stuff like the whole opening of the trailer just seems awful though, and the delivery of young Kirk saying his name is... grating.

We've been speculating in #wingnut about what could possibly be the whole saving grace here. JJ Abrams seems to keep insisting this isn't a reboot and will fit into the existing canon. Any thoughts? (spoiler tags here just in case please)

For example, LOAF suggested that it's possible Eric Bana's Romulan Character is going back in time to kill Kirk in the past at various points, including at his birth during an attack on the USS Kelvin which possibly alters the timeline. Old spock is trying to stop him, and by the end of the film everything will be rectified and the movie will end with a scene in the universe we know... hmmm

Am I going to see the movie? Yes

Do I have faith in it being good? No... but I'm not going to pass judgement fully until the credits roll at the end

On the graphical side it looks very promesing...even if I have some problems with the design choises. The bridge looks very big and everything is so...shine...in a bad way.

Also when I see young Kirk and Spock I connect them with young Blair/Maniac form the WC movie. Maybe that is why I have so very mixed feelings about this.

I haven't seen much of the cast in action but currently I only think that the new actor of Spock to be...don't know recognisable as Spock?

As for the rumor you have in the spoiler tag...have heared that one all over different places.
I still don't like what I have seen but then it hasn't been that much. Still I am quite sceptical. The second trailer left me with a "teenager story meet StarWars in StarTrek universe" feeling.

~~~. I believe the movie is looking quite promising myself. I can see why they are trying to back and start again from scratch with a new story line. The existing one is becoming rather bland and dated after nearly 40 years. I look forward to seeing a new perspective on the existing Star Trek story. I just hope they don't alter too much of what made Star Trek great. But I am very hopeful.

They definitely want to sell this thing as an action movie. [/spoiler]

And see, that's my issue. The whole thing looks like a spaced-out version of Die Hard to me. I agree with the whole Corvette thing, especially after a WWIII exchange, but one thing disturbs me more than anything else: The JustAboutAlways Logical Spock looking like he's waxing Sylar (since, obviously, that's the same actor) while he's choking the living hell out of Kirk? There's rage there and the sense that he's enjoying it.

Timeline continuity is already blown out the window by even having Romulans in it, unless this has a time travel thing as its lynchpin. Romulans weren't supposed to have been seen or heard from in something like 100 years even during Trek's first season, and Kirk was supposed to have been in command for somewhere around a year by then...if not thrown out there by some writing thing somewhere, the familiarity between crew members would suggest that much.

Yes, I'll go see it, but the overt insertion of constant action scenes isn't what Trek is about...so unless there's another trailer that has some sort of actual plotline suggested, I'm skeptical.

On the flipside of things, I was rather impressed by the the internet fanfilm on steriods, "Of Gods And Men". Imaginative to say the least, and it has appearances from a lot of Trek alumni, including:

Walter Koenig
Nichelle Nichols
Tim Russ
Alan Ruck
J.G. Hertzler
Garrett Wang
Grace Lee Whitney
Chase Masterson
Ethan Phillips
Cirric Lofton

It's about 90 minutes long and if you're a Trekkie and haven't seen this yet, it's definitely worth a look. Broken into three Acts, you can find it here:

http://www.startrekofgodsandmen.net/main/

And see, that's my issue. The whole thing looks like a spaced-out version of Die Hard to me. I agree with the whole Corvette thing, especially after a WWIII exchange, but one thing disturbs me more than anything else: The JustAboutAlways Logical Spock looking like he's waxing Sylar (since, obviously, that's the same actor) while he's choking the living hell out of Kirk? There's rage there and the sense that he's enjoying it.

Timeline continuity is already blown out the window by even having Romulans in it, unless this has a time travel thing as its lynchpin. Romulans weren't supposed to have been seen or heard from in something like 100 years even during Trek's first season, and Kirk was supposed to have been in command for somewhere around a year by then...if not thrown out there by some writing thing somewhere, the familiarity between crew members would suggest that much.

Yes, I'll go see it, but the overt insertion of constant action scenes isn't what Trek is about...so unless there's another trailer that has some sort of actual plotline suggested, I'm skeptical.

Of course, this doesn't mean the film actually is all action. The trailer was definitely cut to look like an action film. Originally though, when they filmed the movie it was supposed to come out this winter. That's more typical of a Star Trek movie than an action one, though the move may have been because they felt they had something more akin to an action flick.

My brother and I were going through the trailer last night and one thing that's apparent is that there really isn't that much action in it at all. Almost all the ship explosions in the trailer are various segments of the same attack on the USS Kelvin. Then there's a whole bunch of shots from the ironman/spacesuit drop towards Vulcans surface around that drillrig/superweapon thingy, and then there's a handful of shots of the exterior of the romulan/supervillan ship. This is all mixed up with various shots of the main actors, an altercation on the bridge between Kirk and Spock, and some wierd teethy alien on an ice planet.

Now that you mention it. They don't show that many different scenes.
I still hope that it won't be an action movie. The last try to go action was with Nemesis and I didn't liked the movie at all.
My favorite is still "The undiscovered country". Good mix of story, action and acting.

Currently I am torn apart. One part wants some new from the StarTrek universe...the other parts dosn't like some of the changes...like bridge sponsored by apple. ^_^

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm really excited that there's going to be a new Star Trek film. But, I don't think it's going to be particularly good and I'm still fairly sure that when I go to see it, I'll enjoy it on some level, even if it is for the impressive special effects alone.

JJ Abrams is good at selling things. I think this movie will do wonders for the franchise, even if it takes liberties with characters we all know and love.

I liked the trailer, seemed pretty action packed. I hope they can put the Horatio Hornblower swashbuckling aspect of Kirk into the movie, especially for his younger years.

Well, it's not like ST was exactly "alive and kicking" before news of the new movie came out... :p

And if you were to ask me who would be the worst person to helm a new ST project, JJ Abrams would be third only to Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith.

On the flipside of things, I was rather impressed by the the internet fanfilm on steriods, "Of Gods And Men". Imaginative to say the least, and it has appearances from a lot of Trek alumni, including:

Walter Koenig
Nichelle Nichols
Tim Russ
Alan Ruck
J.G. Hertzler
Garrett Wang
Grace Lee Whitney
Chase Masterson
Ethan Phillips
Cirric Lofton

It's about 90 minutes long and if you're a Trekkie and haven't seen this yet, it's definitely worth a look. Broken into three Acts, you can find it here:

http://www.startrekofgodsandmen.net/main/

If you liked Of Gods and Men check out New Voyages
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

Consider us lucky, it could have been Michael Bay.

You know, if you stopped with the generic internet fanboy act, you might not have a baby seal for an avatar, Mr Baby Seal Avatar jerk.

Back