Star Ship Trooper Related To WC?

hmm... well i have WCM on VHS... and the back of the box reads:

" Starship Troopers meets Top Gun in this no-holds-barred battle for the future of mankind"

It's interesting that not only did Top Gun and Wing Commander feature combat in flight (which is why I assume they are compared on the box) but also that both main characters' call signs are "Maverick". Although I don't think that's ever mentioned in the WCM except for the "characters" section on the DVD.

Originally posted by Onde Pik
SST is a super cool movie IMHO. It has alot of humor and the only bad thing is that they haven't made a squel.

Ugh, be careful what you wish for -- they're making a cheap direct to video Starship Troopers 2...

Originally posted by Mav23
It's interesting that not only did Top Gun and Wing Commander feature combat in flight (which is why I assume they are compared on the box) but also that both main characters' call signs are "Maverick". Although I don't think that's ever mentioned in the WCM except for the "characters" section on the DVD.

Plus there's an Iceman in both Top Gun and WC I :D

Despite how true the movie was to the book, it was still just plain old fun to watch. Good graphics, big guns, plus a reporter being ripped to shreds! What more could you ask for?

As far as good war-based novels, Night by Elie Wiesel is a great WW2 era book, written post war by a death camp survivor. A real prime example of minimalistic writing, presented subjectively.

Plus, I'm back again for awhile.

Originally posted by Catscratch
Despite how true the movie was to the book, it was still just plain old fun to watch. Good graphics, big guns, plus a reporter being ripped to shreds! What more could you ask for?

As far as good war-based novels, Night by Elie Wiesel is a great WW2 era book, written post war by a death camp survivor. A real prime example of minimalistic writing, presented subjectively.

Plus, I'm back again for awhile.

Yes, the movie was fun! :)

I liked Dawn way more than Night. Although Dawn was about a half hour read, mainly because I couldn't put it down. The suspense was overwhelming!

Minimalistic writing can sometimes be the best kind. I think Elie Wiesel's stuff proves that.

Yeah, though, the Wing Commander movie was good :D

Originally posted by Mav23
The best war novel IMO was definetely All Quiet on the Western Front.

Ooh! That was an excellent one! My favorite would have to be A Farewell to Arms, though. Yes, even though it was mainly a love story.

Originally posted by Karthik@KANE
Iceman? The Iceman?!

Val Killmer (sp?) played a character named Iceman... he was Tom Cruise's (Mavarick) rival... as u can see... no similairty... since ICE and MAV. were friends in WC....

Originally posted by Catscratch

more reporters being ripped to shreds :D

Michael Ironside was in both Starship Troopers and Top Gun. He played Lieutenant Jean Rasczak (The Roughnecks original CO) and in Top Gun he played Lieutenant Commander Rick 'Jester' Heatherly (one of the Instructors)

Back