Star Ship Trooper Related To WC?

Starship troopers was based from a Book written in the 1950's Cant remember the Authors name but the book was frowned upon because of its Far Right Viewpoint and with the War only 10 years previous it contracted quite a bit of Controversy!

"T"

The author was Robert Heinlen, I'm not sure of the spelling.
I don't really see any relation to the book or movie, in comparison to WC that is.

Big ass starships, lotsa troopers blowin stuff up, Bugs for enemies... yeah, i dont see any WC comparability there :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ninja
Dont you think that Star Ship Troopers were related to Wing Commander in a way.

They are not related in any direct way. Both are sci-fi stories about men fighting a galatic war with evil aliens. Both stories also have some degree of social critisism.

The Aliens aren´t evil, they try to survive just like us!

Which is the diference between the T-Bomb and the asteroid thing in SST? Eh?

I thought Starship Troopers was the lamest movie, but people everywhere seem to think it's really good, and I don't know why....

Although the beginning was funny enough to constitute multiple viewings.

Originally posted by Mav23
I thought Starship Troopers was the lamest movie, but people everywhere seem to think it's really good, and I don't know why....

Maybe becuase Dina Meyer´s breast,eh?

it was a horrid movie, but an excelent book, and was great due to almost playing devils advocate from Heinlein's normal political stance of complete libertarian/anarchist, leave me alone and I'll leave you alone, sorta dealy.

I loved Starship Troopers. The movie was OK (didin't do the book justice), but the animated series was pretty damn good (too bad theys topped releasing the CDs), and the soundtrack was excellent (hey, it was by Basil Poulidouris!).

Heinlein's main point in Starship Troopers was basically the evils of war, and fighting, the side you don't tend to see (especially given the recent one). Not some hotshot pilot, or heroic soldier, but on the nasty act that is war. Basically a political book, but then again, most of Heinlein's works were of a political nature. I read them today with facination, because most of the issues he confronted are still around, many years later.

Of course, if you want a real military sci-fi book, John Steakley has Armor, which is pretty damn good on many levels.

As for the Troopers connection to WC, I think it was best summed up in the caption on the back kof the DVD box. That's about it, really.

The game is cool and provides for a good mix of the movie and the novel when it comes to action.

Relationship to Wing Commander: the actor who plays Johnny in Starship Troopers is one of the 'redshirts' listening to Maniac talk during the first scene on the Lexington in Wing IV. :)

As for Starship Troopers -- the movie is *vastly* underappreciated. It's amazingly well done -- SST has to be the least preachy anti-war film ever made.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As for Starship Troopers -- the movie is *vastly* underappreciated. It's amazingly well done -- SST has to be the least preachy anti-war film ever made.

I second that. And it's a non-pacifist anti-war movie, also.

I agree that it's underappreciated. I was a big departament store, and it was showing on a big screen. People would stop to watch it. This doesn't happen very often, and the big TV usually have some movie one. Well, not a very good example, but whatever.

Back