Spoony "reviews" Wing Commander

Example: He complains about sound in space, yet does not complain about outer space dogfighting. If you're going to complain about one impossible trope, why not complain about them all? Answer: he is full of shit.

No. Answer: Tropes are not (generally) a bad thing.

He does not critizise sound in space like it is used in almost all sci-fi - that "loudest spacefighters I ever heard" in the beginning is obviously a joke to be taken lightly, not a serious complaint - but he only critizises when it goes too far: that "u-boat" scene on the Tigerclaw. Okay, you can argue that they do not in fact worry about being heard, but surely you can agree it is easy to get that impression and they should've taken more care in avoiding this impression in the scene...

Yes, almost all Science-Fiction uses "sound in space" - but only to the viewers benefit. It is implied that in-universe, there is no sound in space - or alternatively the sound they hear is generated by their own computer from sensor data, similar to how one WC game manual explains it if I'm not mistaken.

The gravity thing: I'm aware of no Science-Fiction that does that at all. Or let's clarify, Post-"2001: A Space Odyssey" non-comedic Science-Fiction.

Why not complain about the Old School Dogfighting AT ALL? Well, because that's the whole premise of Wing Commander. Without it, there would be no movie. Or games.

I think, Spoonys reviews like this may actually serve a useful purpose. Think of the younger ones. The current generation of gamers and espcially those yet to come don't know Wing Commander at all. Also I've experienced people who had seen the movie, but didn't know it was based on a game series at all. A video like this one can help these people to check out Wing Commander again, and so learn an important part of videogame history - which is notoriously underrated in the broad public if you think about it. Lots of people who grew up with consoles, didn't even think about what the PC might have to offer.

Even the games use sound. WC3 has all kinds of sounds while the player is in the cockpit. That's how you know you're being fired upon, etc. I think that can be chalked up to use of sound in space for the player's benefit, but still. As for Old School Dogfighting; yes, I understand that it's the premise in which the franchise is built around, but it's a trope. In the way that Old School Dogfighting is presented, it's impossible. That doesn't make the use of this trope a bad thing, but it should, at the very least, make complaining about any other impossible-in-space situation useless, since the entire movie is based around an impossible-in-space situation to begin with.

And Spoony actually showed LeHah's first post in this thread in his recent Highlander 2 review. I'm not sure what to say about that, apart from that it succeeds in portraying the people here in extremely negative light to those unfamiliar with us.

Okay, you think the guy's material is uninspired, fine, but wishing he dies horribly goes too far in my opinion. (Yes, I am being extremely late here.)

And Spoony actually showed LeHah's first post in this thread in his recent Highlander 2 review. I'm not sure what to say about that, apart from that it succeeds in portraying the people here in extremely negative light to those unfamiliar with us.

Okay, you think the guy's material is uninspired, fine, but wishing he dies horribly goes too far in my opinion. (Yes, I am being extremely late here.)

Yeah, I think it is evident that some people here absolutely overreacted to something that is meant to be entertainment.

So I guess it's a matter of you reap what you sow.

Not exactly. THe only people who would pick up on that are people familiar with this discussion in the first place. There's no website or any context shown so no I would say it doesn't... unless your handle is LeHah, in which case you are an aquired taste anyway.

I enjoy the irony of calling LeHah's comment a "cheap punchline".

I'm not sure what to say about that, apart from that it succeeds in portraying the people here in extremely negative light to those unfamiliar with us.

Darn, and I was hoping so much to be liked by the 'people who hate stuff' fandom.

Just reread some the stuff in this thread. The wilful ignorance and hypocrisy some people here show is almost unbearable.

I honestly thought better of this community.

Darn, and I was hoping so much to be liked by the 'people who hate stuff' fandom.
Yeah, stuff like that.

Think I am on another hiatus till the next WC game is released.

For someone who's internet-furious that no one can take a joke, you sure can't take a joke.

Furious? No. Disappointed? Yes.

And I seriously doubt that many people in this thread were joking. Your post didn't sound very funny either.

But, eh, whatever. This will lead to nothing. For what it is worth, I apologize for not getting your joke.

And I seriously doubt that many people in this thread were joking.

Nah, nobody is as cynical as this thread seems read straight--I don't think we're taking any of this seriously.

Not exactly. THe only people who would pick up on that are people familiar with this discussion in the first place. There's no website or any context shown so no I would say it doesn't... unless your handle is LeHah, in which case you are an aquired taste anyway.

Or people who go to google and write "anyone who makes a web presence with his own video", just because comments like the ones in this thread deserves to be read ^_^

Hell, if you google "lehah", the fifth result you get points to these forums.

Personally, I'm just more concerned about this place getting an onslaught of angry Spoony fans. Granted, that's more for the moderators to worry about should it happen, but I'm still not feeling good about it.

I think the thread already accounted for all 3 (?) of his cult followers that are willing to leave the militia compound.

They seemed to disappear after LeHah called them on the "award". This is likely why the dude is e-ragey at LeHah instead of me now, too.

Personally, I'm just more concerned about this place getting an onslaught of angry Spoony fans. Granted, that's more for the moderators to worry about should it happen, but I'm still not feeling good about it.

I can assure you that you have absolutely nothing to be worried about there.

Back