Special Operations 1 Replay Week 4

VICTORY!! Sometimes the solution is so simple, it's sad. Just a heads up for anyone who may unintentionally redecorate their office playing the 2-D mission, here's my twist: Save your chaff pods. I never really use 'em anyways. After the fighters have been cleared out, get out about 15-16,000 clicks from the fralthras. This is too far out for your torpedoes to lock if you have them selected. BUUUUT, if you've selected the chaff pods, you can still lock onto the fralthras at this range.

Once you're locked on, switch over to the torpedoes. The countdown should now begin, but from much farther out. Cut the engines and let the torpedo lock acquire. At this point, the fralthra's still (hopefully) 13-14,000 clicks out-still too far for the AMG and the flak cannons. Once lock is acquired, I opened up the throttle and hit the afterburner (note: try not to take the fralthra's nose-on, they still do get one shot with that AMG on your way in...)

All of the sudden, this missions went from the bane of existence to simplicity itself. Just make sure to change directions randomly on your way out to throw off the shots from the AMG in between runs. Good luck, and why do I get the feeling this is something everyone else knew but me...?

That's a new one on me too, going to give it a try tonight - although I've already failed this mission on my current playthrough, I'm still struggling with the 'second shot' you're given at the Task Force at the end of SO1.​
TBH, if it does work I still won't feel like I've won fair and square. It *is* possible to destroy both crusisers without exploit or cheats, but I've not managed it in about a decade.​

Back