Space trash

Originally posted by Soma
Would Confed sell salvaging rights to private companies provided they would get anything with military value?

Absolutely. It would be a win-win for all sides involved. Confed could send its personnel and equipment to more important locations, and the local salvage company would get anything that Confed wasn't interested in (i.e. most of the scrap). The company would actually pay Confed for the right to do something that would have otherwise cost Confed money, based on the expectation that they'd make a profit off of all of the junk they picked up. Confed wouldn't have to worry any longer about people picking through the debris and finding military grade weapons. Confed also wouldn't have to worry so much about accidental collisions between ships and pieces of debris. The independent salvage company would probably have to endure periodic inspections to ensure that weapons weren't being smuggled out of the debris, but that would probably be about it.

I would also think that it would free up ship construction yards a bit since they wouldn't have to try and fit salvaging ships into thier schedule.

Originally posted by Soma:
I think it would more likely be Confed that would control the rights to any salvaging operations considering: Ghorah Khar is a Kilrathi inhabited system and the fleet would place anything that might be semi-useful under it's reign.

Confed would not have done that unilaterally. The Kats on Ghorah Khar rebelled against the Empire. We liked them and established Olympus Station to protect them. However, it’s certainly plausible that surveying and salvaging rights of some nature–either granted to Confed and/or opened to certain Terran companies–would have been part of the quid pro quo.

Originally posted by Nemesis

Confed would not have done that unilaterally. The Kats on Ghorah Khar rebelled against the Empire. We liked them and established Olympus Station to protect them. However, it’s certainly plausible that surveying and salvaging rights of some nature–either granted to Confed and/or opened to certain Terran companies–would have been part of the quid pro quo.

I would imagine access to anything Confed deemed of military or research value, including salvage, would be part of the agreement with Ghorah Kar in exchange for asylum...

Originally posted by Wedge009
I have a complete script of the dialogue from WCP and SO as part of making indicies for their respective TRE files... but they're at home. Think I need to start leaving some of my WC stuff online...
... and they're here (WCP) and here (WCSO). If and when I have time (not for a while), I might try to make a nicer presentation.

Back