Space trash

Soma

Spaceman
Is there any sort of space reclamation service to clear out all the debris after a battle (in a secured area)? Either to clear shipping lanes or to reuse scrap metal for repairs or such?

I've never heard of any but I'm sure there is some kind of clean up by maybe pirates looking to reuse scrap for sale on the black market. Or just mechants looking for a quick buck by selling scrap to the major ship yard on both sides.

I'm sure that after a fleet action, the intelligence services would be sniffing around to gather details on enemy materials etc.

Depending on how damaged enemy fighters/cap ships are, you could learn a lot. Even with small pieces of scrap, you could figure some information out on manufacturing techniques and what kind of armour is used. Even post-mortem studies on remains gives you all sorts of information. :) Otherwise, I suppose it would be the responsibility of which ever authority is in the system.

Originally posted by Soma
Is there any sort of space reclamation service to clear out all the debris after a battle (in a secured area)? Either to clear shipping lanes or to reuse scrap metal for repairs or such?

Well, since you bring up the issue of shipping lanes....

That's a transportation problem, which would probably be delegated to the "Space Coast Guard," or whatever similar agency in Confed deals with transportation issues.

Say, is it just me, or is there constantly shrapnel floating around in the SNES WC1??

Originally posted by Soma:
pecifically I was wondering if there were any Confed services

If you mean either by the government or military, apparently not. In the WC4 novel, Tolwyn notes that Confed has “begun a reclamation project” for the ships lost at Luna during the Battle of Earth, and Eisen, referring to the consequent rebuild of the Lexington, says that “[n]ormally, the hulk would have been left to drift” or otherwise scuttled. However, it seems Confed at the very least does send out survey teams to track down the location and evaluate the condition of lost military ships/fighters and their crews–such as we see Blair doing for the Concordia at the beginning of WC3–and presumably would likewise care about salvaging or destroying any advanced technology they carry.

But for the bulk of the problem, the solution is probably commercial, as we see in Privateer where “space salvage” is a commodity.

They have space salvage as a Privateer commodity (presumably to sell to refineries for recycling into new products).

Originally posted by Col.Dom
...is it just me, or is there constantly shrapnel floating around in the SNES WC1?
There seems to be 'shrapnel' in several 320x200 resolution WC games. :) Obviously they didn't have pixels small enough to depict the illusion of movement [without having it look like 'shrapnel'] in those days.

Originally posted by Wedge009
There seems to be 'shrapnel' in several 320x200 resolution WC games. :) Obviously they didn't have pixels small enough to depict the illusion of movement [without having it look like 'shrapnel'] in those days.

*sigh* those were the days, indeed....

:D

Originally posted by Col.Dom

*sigh* those were the days, indeed....

:D
Hey!! Finally as thread with an original thought worth writing to!!!

Hey, Col.dom is actually a Colonel now (I'm assuming thats what the col. stands for)

I would assume that debris would be a bigger problem in the pre-WC1 days when ships had no shields (which would seem to be the case in about half the WC:Academy episodes :) ). With the advent of sheilds though, I don't think the debris would be much of a problem, just your average salvage. Though hitting something at 1300kps on afterburner even with shields seems like a problem, especially those big burned out husks of ships you leave behind in WC3,4,and P. Anyway, my 2 cents have been anted up.

C-ya

In the SO fiction they talk about gathering Nephilm debris. I don't recall if there was any specific agency mentioned.

Originally posted by Nemesis

If you mean either by the government or military, apparently not. In the WC4 novel, Tolwyn notes that Confed has “begun a reclamation project” for the ships lost at Luna during the Battle of Earth, and Eisen, referring to the consequent rebuild of the Lexington, says that “[n]ormally, the hulk would have been left to drift” or otherwise scuttled. However, it seems Confed at the very least does send out survey teams to track down the location and evaluate the condition of lost military ships/fighters and their crews–such as we see Blair doing for the Concordia at the beginning of WC3–and presumably would likewise care about salvaging or destroying any advanced technology they carry.

It would be kind of silly not to. At the very least, a ship can be turned into razor blades. More likely, some useful spare parts will turn up. And in extreme cases, it might even be possible to refurbish the ship and send it back into action.
Most likely, there would be the initial sweep through the debris field that was looking for intact hulks that could be returned to a facility with little or no effort (i.e. probably something that still had a live - but not dangerous - reactor and a usable jump drive). If it didn't have active power signatures, it would probably be ignored on this sweep.
Later on, as time permitted (and this could take a loooong time depending on the circumstances), later sweeps might be made of the larger debris fields in order to look for the ships that
had been ignored but were still servicable (probably anything that was still intact, and where the crew had successfully shut down the powerplant before leaving the ship). The biggest problem in many cases would probably be the proximity of a fleet repair dock. In the Sol system, this wouldn't be a big problem. If you can tow it, you can salvage it, eventually. In an uninhabited system on the frontier, where the nearest space dock is three jumps away, you might have a problem.
Incidentally, this second phase sweep is pretty important to the plot of Independence War.

Zero mentioned in SO that Disease Control should take a look at the debris for possible alien viruses. Which of course there is and those people looting the bug debris get some kind of nasty disease. He mentioned something else about peacekeeping efforts but my memory is a bit foggy.

So refresh your memory! ;) He does make a speech of it in-game, but I don't remember anything about peacekeeping, either. That was one of the Cerberus' original objectives as well.

I have a complete script of the dialogue from WCP and SO as part of making indicies for their respective TRE files... but they're at home. Think I need to start leaving some of my WC stuff online...

Well, I found this tidbit in the Victory Streak on page 47 in the gray box:

"Platolum evolved when Bryce Alloys, a Makis-based company, started routine salvage retrieval in Ghorah Khar..."

Would Confed sell salvaging rights to private companies provided they would get anything with military value?

Well, I’d think it would be Ghorah Khar, not Confed, that would own and “sell” or grant such salvage rights in the first instance. But Confed might well contract with commercial companies to carry out at least some salvage operations of military assets and the like, and might otherwise impose certain conditions on domestic companies engaged in private deals that yield useful know-how.

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
I've never heard of any but I'm sure there is some kind of clean up by maybe pirates looking to reuse scrap for sale on the black market. Or just mechants looking for a quick buck by selling scrap to the major ship yard on both sides.

Indeed, 'méchants are always looking to make a quick buck.

Originally posted by Nemesis
Well, I’d think it would be Ghorah Khar, not Confed, that would own and “sell” or grant such salvage rights in the first instance. But Confed might well contract with commercial companies to carry out at least some salvage operations of military assets and the like, and might otherwise impose certain conditions on domestic companies engaged in private deals that yield useful know-how.

I think it would more likely be Confed that would control the rights to any salvaging operations considering: Ghorah Khar is a Kilrathi inhabited system and the fleet would place anything that might be semi-useful under it's reign. Then again I have no armed forces experience so I could be way off...

Back