(Something Like)Trivia

You mean LOAF's?
Ben Lesnick, of course.

OK, question...

Here's an easy one: What are the names of the squadrons on the Tiger's Claw?

I can tell you all but one (according to Pilgrim Stars, the 'Claw has six): Killer Bee, Blue Devil ("Blue Angel" in the SNES port - thanks, Nintendo), Star Slayer, Black Lion and Yellowjacket.

What trick did Hunter play on Maniac that resulted in Hunter being put on restrictive duty during the Firekkan Crusade (SM2)?

C-ya

I do seem to remember something like that happening, but I don't think Hunter was placed on restrictive duty because of it :) Try again, think reprogramming.

C-ya

Hunter reprogrammed Maniac's sensors, to make him think he was being attacked by a thousand Kilrathi at once.

(The other incident is mentioned in WC2 - involving a slime rat and Maniac's bunk. They don't say *when* in the WC1 timeline it occurs, though.)

What did Bear and company lob at Kilrah as Tarawa, using a tractor beam, 'slingshot' itself around the Kilrathi homeworld?

C-ya

Landing craft (and a Ferret) loaded with atomic warheads.

Interestingly, at the end of that chapter Thrakhath muses to himself why the humans didn't attack the Emperor's palace... seems like Forstchen was alluding to the future Behemoth/T-bomb strikes, and Thrakhath's obsession with attacking Earth. Of course, this calls into question why the Tarawa didn't sacrifice itself to end the war. :)

Somebody wrote on Amazon.com that Fleet Action was better than End Run... I can't believe what they were thinking. Maybe it's because Fleet Action has a bigger battle scene. *shrugs*

Hrm, new trivia question... I'm not so good at these, so I'll let somebody else ask one.

Trivia question...

hmm...

how's this:

Who is the reporter who interviewed Grayson Burrows on Helen, Troy system circa 2669?

GeeBot said:
Interestingly, at the end of that chapter Thrakhath muses to himself why the humans didn't attack the Emperor's palace... seems like Forstchen was alluding to the future Behemoth/T-bomb strikes, and Thrakhath's obsession with attacking Earth. Of course, this calls into question why the Tarawa didn't sacrifice itself to end the war. :)

Somebody wrote on Amazon.com that Fleet Action was better than End Run... I can't believe what they were thinking. Maybe it's because Fleet Action has a bigger battle scene. *shrugs*

The reason the Tarawa doesn't just ram Kilrah and destroy the palace is because a direct strike at the empire will arouse the kilrathi to an incredibly fury. They will put aside their differences so that they can put all their energy into destroying the confederation. It's mentioned several times in the book. IMO End Run is a better book, granted FA is also very good, but the story of ER is really good. Inspires a pilot to action against the kats.

What 'bad luck' poker hand did Spirit beat Blair with that foreshadowed her untimely death (this is also what Vagabond was holding when Maniac beat him just prior to his death)? Why is this poker hand considered 'unlucky'?

C-ya

Just not to be completely irrelevant, the dead man's poker hand consists of two pairs of black aces and eights.

Now, for a quick digression. The issue I had with the whole Kilrah ramming dealie was that a similar mechanism was used to end the war with the destruction of Kilrah (and a large, but by no means total, portion of their fleet). Surely, wouldn't the Kilrathi get even more pissed off and violent if their home world was destroyed, than if merely their emperor was? Yet it had the opposite, deflating effect.

I think it's been commonly observed in these kind of discussions that if humanity's home world (Earth) were destroyed/captured by the Kilrathi, that would only stiffen our resistance, even if it were increasingly futile. (Although that might just be biased human chest thumping.) It appears such blows have the opposite effect on the Kilrathi.

I'll end it there, though, since this isn't really what the trivia thread is about... maybe we can take it into a new thread, if there's any fresh debate on this topic.

Hrm, that gives me an idea for a trivia question... what was the name of Melek's dreadnought?

But why is the dead man's poker hand considered 'unlucky'?

I think if the Kilrathi had been successful in decimating Earth, it would have had the same effect on mankind as it did on the Kilrathi (think Titan AE). A race needs a history to define who they are as a people. Your home planet is the largest part of that history. The demoralizing effect may not be as widespread due to humans being born on other planets in the WCU, but Earth is still everyone's 'home'.

C-ya

The "Dead Mands Hand" (Aces and Eights) is supposedly what Wild Bill Hicock drew right before being shot.

Melek's dreadnought was the Hvar'kann.

Back