SO

Dralthi5: What Quarto is saying I believe is that a good writer always gives enough information so that what you see in your mind is what everyone else will see. His description should let you see them as if you were watching a movie and the image is sharp and clear. I've read some things (and this is published I'm talking about, not amatuer) where it was vague to the extreme. It is almost the same thing as watching a fuzzy picture that you can't quite make out. Yes you can imagine it but later out it might not turn out to be what you were imagaining. I like a good amount of decriptions in the books I read, but some authors like Robert Jordan go way overboard. Stephen King is like that at the start, but if you can make it through the first 200-300 pages, the rest are a breeze which isn't so for Jordan.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Dralthi5: Well yeah, but if a writer tells you "In the middle of a room with four walls, a ceiling, and a floor, stood a man,"... well, that's kinda difficult to imagine properly
smile.gif
. Of course, in that case you'd start wondering how he got himself published in the first place...
wink2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd also have to wonder how this man got into such a room. Without a door or a window, I would image that this task would be quite difficult.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

In my opinion, the best author that never overdid the descriptions is a man by the name of R.A. Salvatore. His words created a clear image in my mind, and his descriptions of battle and fighting were always top-notch. Now all I need is some WC novels to compare that to....

My gripe with novels is when
a) there's no action,
b) the bad guys are hopelessly useless,
c) a book is written about a character, but doesn't do that character justice,
d) there are too many characters,

and finally the worst of them all:

when people disturb me when I'm reading
mad.gif

My main gripe is when they try to tell you the story from 4-5 different people's point of views. I mean, Jesus, pick the main good guy, and the main bad guy(s) (if it's a gang, then write it from the third person when talking about them.), and write the story about them. I usually skip a bunch of crap when I'm reading it, then if it seems relevant, or I get confused later in the book, I'll go back to pick up what I missed, but very rarely do I get that confused.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Knight: Then you'd hate Harry Turtledove (one of my favorite authors). One of his trademarks is a huge cast of characters.

Dogg: I've only read one Salvatore book (SW: Vector Prime) and I didn't particularly care for it. Perhaps some of his other novels are better.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited September 09, 2000).]

Something fishy in the seventh episode?!
When the last mission in the proxima system the stupid accretion device got destroyed and they said that shouldn't have been done but the ending part when Amiral:Rayak gives a report to the govenor Cavasakos the amirals says that the Midway pilots din't showup heroic than that of the Cerberus pilots and if the accretion device does not explode then admiral will say that Midway helped Cerberus get through safely during its voyage now this makes me vern angry
mad.gif

The midway did nothing but shit in the Sirius System while the Cerberus struggled a lot in the Krieger System now look at this who do you think where more Heroic? the Cerberus's pilots or the Midway pilots?
Guys remember I came through Krieger System and finished SO even without using the cheat codes!! even the last mission also without the cheats.
smile.gif

Rider said:
The midway did nothing but shit in the Sirius System while the Cerberus struggled a lot in the Krieger System now look at this who do you think where more Heroic? the Cerberus's pilots or the Midway pilots?
The pilots on the Cerberus are Midway pilots. They were asigned to the Cerberus for it's maiden voyage only, then they'll return back to the Midway. So the conversation in that last scene was about you and your wingman from the Cerberus.
Guys remember I came through Krieger System and finished SO even without using the cheat codes!! even the last mission also without the cheats.
smile.gif
I'm pretty sure most people didn't use cheat codes in SO.
smile.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who dies for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

Member of the LMG (Disgruntled Men)

I didn't even think of needing the cheats for SO.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Good point Anagram.

And BTW, what's the deal in the last cut-scene of SO? I mean, you fight all that time, and that's how it ends? It seems that there's more to it, as in Cavazaros wasn't saying everything he wanted to. Rayak didn't sound too enthused when she left, and Cavazaros was really trying to get her out of there in a hurry.........

------------------

Well, SO 2 should pick up from there. ~laughs~ Just wait ten years for Origin to pick up.
smile.gif

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Ya just have to be quick to take out the dreadnought to the 'win-win' ending, right? And you really shouldn't need to cheat for the last mission - the plasma gun makes short work of the dreadnought. You only need to blow up the accretion device if you're too slow and bugs start pouring out. Heh, I like Maestro's speech in the 'lose-lose' ending, the one about taking the pill and going to sleep...

Anybody got a transcript of that? What missions do you have to lose? I dont' think I've heard that one before.

------------------

I just did it for fun. Hang around at the last mission and wait for Spyder or Zero or whoever says you've gotta go for the accretion device instead. Hang around a bit longer and Maestro says something about a fleet coming thru the wormhole. No hope and all that so commit suicide.

At the start of that mission, you hear my sig. file.
smile.gif

------------------

What? "Hey Maestro, if you die, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

"You Can Burn in Hell."

------------------

That's the one. ~laughs~

------------------

Back