SO

Pedro

Admiral
Just running back onto my point about SO, most of the text had very little to do with what your pilots experinced first hand, nor was the plot moved on by what happened in mission, rather you were randomly stopped in missions to listen to Zero talk about something that happened in another system which was not even 1st hand for him!! In this way I was very alienated from it, most of the missions had nothing to do with the plot, just take down fighters and corvettes
frown.gif

I wouldn't mind knowing who agrees with this and who liked it and why. I didn't mind the different way of conveying the plot but you never got any messages from your tech and all the captain really said was your nav map has been updated
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Pedro (edited August 31, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
man that game was BAddddd,it should have been a novel with a diffrent plot of couse casey and the cerburus would be in it
smile.gif

Pedro which text? The stuff from the SO site? There is a ton of it, and it seems to be tied in with what is going on. The e-mail section and things like Casey's log and the notes from Clippy
smile.gif
do a pretty good job with keeping with the story (at least so far, I've just jumped out of Ella) It does seem from the tone in Casey's journal that the missions there may have failed, so I guess they could have added even more fiction at those branch points, or made the fiction a little more neutral.

The other material about what is going on, I thought was well done. The tech documents are nice. I wish they would have had explanations of the enhancements they were making during Prophecy, perhaps include a note from Rachel or whoever saying "Your new missles are supposed to have more yield, more speed, etc."

The material about what was going on around Confed was great. Granted I'm assuming the game doesn't have much contact with privateers and bug derelicts, but it does do a nice job of talking about what else is going on. The disease angle is cool, and for the format (a game without live Action Cutscenes) it convyes the disease outbreak without showing it to you (as was the case in WCIV.) I liked in WC2 when they would talk about how the war was going in othe sectors and I liked the news vids from WCIII and I wish they would have made it into the PC version.

I think that he may have been referring to the introduction scenes.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

Yeah some of the text from Zero and Spyder I've seen does seem to be more related to the bigger picture than the mission at hand. The only cutscene I had other than the opening scen is jumping and one where some Confed Capships and support fighters jump in to the far side of the Ella system. Maybe I haven't played enough to make an informed comment
smile.gif

Shane: There are a few cut-scenes here and there
smile.gif
. Just keep on playing.

As for the fiction, your problem is that the password option seems to have been disabled on the SO website. They used to have three sets of fiction - the winning fiction, the losing fiction, and the default fiction (which often made it seem like you're losing
wink2.gif
). What you're seeing is the default fiction.

Jeez, it would be nice to get ahold of all of it. Oh well, at least they still offer something.

WCIV DID show the disease (nanites or whatever they were)
That type of plot was simply NOT suited to a game without real cutscenes.

Poor word choice on my part. I do know they showed the disease (or at least some gooey stuff) in WCIV. That could have been conveyed in text form and for me had the same impact. I guess it depends on your imagination, and please don't take that as an insult. I read a lot and am very good at seeing the images that the words describe. I know other people for whom the written word isn't as vibrant as it is for me.

Yes, the FMV is nice, but what I miss is the interactive aspect of the game, and that was missing in Prophecy as well as SO. I liked being able to decide what I was going to say (at least to an extent.) The Prophecy FMV didn't do much for me because I wasn't able to do much, so I didn't miss it that much when it was gone. The fiction filled that role.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited September 01, 2000).]

No offence taken m8, I just started reading my new collection of Wing Commander books and having been a while since I was last reading on any scale I was halfway through freedom flight before I was actually visualising the firekkans etc, but my point stands that it is very detached, the impact of something is far greater when you see it first hand, now if the plot had involved a huge fleet and you jump into see them (this is just a rough suggestion) then an text explanation as to their presence etc would mean much more, also picking them off one by one would be no good, you have to SEE the scale
smile.gif

1000 ships may not mean much until you are facing them

[This message has been edited by Pedro (edited September 01, 2000).]

Shane said:
I read a lot and am very good at seeing the images that the words describe.

I'm glad someone's like me
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Actually Knight I don't know many people who don't do that, as long as you read enough it comes quite easily.

I find it best when the author does not go out of his way to describe every last detail, thats the only way to jumpstart your imagination and to stop yourself from getting bored out of your mind.

Like The Lord of the Rings. I know the friggin' castle's big. I don't need three pages describing every single little tower that's on it.
mad.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Something to do with CS Lewis constantly pestering him for new chapters so he just made page fillers hehehe

As the proud owner of about 115 books, I'll put in my two cents.

I just don't understand how a person can read a book and not picture what's going on in that particular scene. That's just me, though.

I have one major pet peeve, actually, when it comes to an author's descriptions of characters: when they wait to describe the character half-way through the book and I have to abandon my previous image of that character for this new, unexpected one.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

No Regret: Hmm, personally I found that Tolkien gave just enough descriptions. But of course, that's just my opinion.

Dralthi5: Sometimes, the author just doesn't give you enough information to picture a scene.

What I ment was, I can depict things fairly clearly without a lot of information. Most of my classmates can't even read
tongue.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Quarto: Which is why a person has to make the scene up in his/her head.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back