Size and other questions, Kilrathi & Ships

Added some missles from clawmarks

Looks like two many missiles - the Gratha has three or four missiles (2-3 HS and 1 IR) and three mines.

I'm trying to put together a short film using the gratha, maybe some Ferrets, the Fralthi and a space station but I guess not the NC one I built cause it wasn't around, unless I've been roaming with an aging fleet and returned durring the Privateer days. but then I would have to be very old or a new born heir or something.

N.C. could be around any time after 2639... which is a lot older than the Gratha, which was introduced in 2654. There shouldn't be any problem having the two together.

It just surprises me there aren't any considering Wing Commander actually seems a lot less obscure than some of the things they reference on there.

Very impressive. I might make use of some of those pictures for my WC RPG group.

One thing though - it all looks nicely scaled, but I think the Gratha is a little too large. It actually looks like a more realistic size, and puts me in mind of the lamda-class shuttles from Star Wars with the ramp. I do like it. But from looking at the size of the Terran fighters in comparison to the cockpit and technicians in the animations from WC I, I think it's too big. Just my opinion though.

An excellent job overall. Nice.

I was modeling the gratha interior with the Privateer ships interior in mind, because some of those seemed to have an airlocks. You can see the airlock in the Background.
I thought the gratha was a heavy-fighter/bomber and I was kind of thinking about old airplane bombers and how you could walk from the cockpit to the tail. I guess I could make it smaller but then I'd need to use a hatch to get in cause it's cramped enough as is.

I had to push the chair to one side to allow for the pilot to pass and get into the seat. On the VDU it shows a long blue outline so I figured that was open area for the pilot to move around. Possibly an area to rest on long trips on auto pilot, but I don't know the range.

0gratha_interior.jpg

Even the Centurion (Heavy-Fighter) has 8 port hole looking things on the sides, and a tiny cockpit compared to the rest of the ship.
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/privater/centurion.jpg

Very impressive. I might make use of some of those pictures for my WC RPG group.

One thing though - it all looks nicely scaled, but I think the Gratha is a little too large. It actually looks like a more realistic size, and puts me in mind of the lamda-class shuttles from Star Wars with the ramp. I do like it. But from looking at the size of the Terran fighters in comparison to the cockpit and technicians in the animations from WC I, I think it's too big. Just my opinion though.

An excellent job overall. Nice.

I was trying to see if there were any smaller numbers but both say 36 meters

Unlike the Dralthi which varied from 28 meters down to just 9. :)

Armada cockpits would be the best place for you to get an idea what the inside looks like.

Nice work nonetheless.

Even the Centurion (Heavy-Fighter) has 8 port hole looking things on the sides, and a tiny cockpit compared to the rest of the ship.

Of course, since all the ships in Privateer are personal starships, complete with cargo bays, and not fighters based off of a capital ship, it stands to reason that they'd have actual crew spaces other than the cockpit, unlike say, a Ferret or modern single-seat fighter.

Yeah, but presumably the Broadsword has internal crewspaces, since you crawl through the ship to get to the cockpit instead of opening the canopy- why couldn't other fighters?

Made the ramp a little more narrow.

cutaway11.jpg

Is this the ship thats throwing you guys off? It's 32 meters, they both weight about 18 tonnes too, but the gratha has no jump drive and less guns.
https://www.wcnews.com/ships2/wc3excalibur.shtml
And I think I remember a shot of the excaliber where they had the roll away stairs to get the pilot inside the nose, so I guess I could load the pilot in that way but it still doesn't explain the VDU. An airlock fits so nicely back there kinda like the Korlarh (38 meters)

I thank you guys for helping me. :)

Up next is some kilrathi modeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tough angle to match... I know PV2 had some distorted perspectives, I may have to use a different lense... I tried to lay the model over the image using the distort tool in PS but there are still places that don't line up... well I guess my model could be fudged up bad as well. I wasn't sure how big to make the ship on the pad. There are no lengths for the Privateer ships that I could see.

EDIT: and back to the reason I posted this... I wanted to know more about the small ships in the background/foreground, I think some are modeled after the Delorean but what about the others?
ndlnding.png

Yeah, but presumably the Broadsword has internal crewspaces, since you crawl through the ship to get to the cockpit instead of opening the canopy- why couldn't other fighters?

Well, size-wise, there doesn't seem to be room on some of the designs, like the Hornet. Presumably, space is always at a premium, so leaving a long empty portion down the middle of the fusalege would be a real waste. I wonder if the Sabre has a crawlspace. Doesn't look like there'd be room. I'd expect the gunner to climb straight into the turret.

I am completely amazed with you models.
My two favorite Kilrathi ships from WC1!!!

Awesome job!

I melded some kilrathi interiors together and came up with a rough new interior. I'll smooth the edges more later.
I had to move the top two screens in more to fit the screens & seat closer to the front.

I tried to keep the 2D effect of the screens so looking from the pilots 3D perspective you still get the sense of the 2D version of the 3D cockpit.
grathavdunew.jpg

Back