Size and other questions, Kilrathi & Ships

Kilrathi_Princess

1st Lieutenant
Tell me if I'm getting these right

Two versions of the Fralthi , one is a Carrier and one a Battle Ship?

Any ideas on the locations of the landing bays? I made a few places, especially since the Fralthi Carrier is said to carry a lot of fighters... I used clawmarks as refrence... I blew out the interior on the fralthi to make a few langing spots on the carrier version. I sized the Fralthi up a little to accomodate the fighters. Also sized the fighters down a teeeny bit too to get them to all fit comfortably.

Carrier

fralthi_carrier_conversion-1.jpg

Battle Ship

fralthi_princess2-1.jpg

fralthi_better.jpg

Any ideas on the interior?

In the hopes that My king or prince will give me command of my own ship ... Rawrrrr!!

Check out my throne room and my lair (behind and beneath it) with gem cut bed carved from stone... red cousion and pillows. :)

fralthi_gratha16.jpg

fralthi_gratha10.jpg

fralthi_gratha13.jpg

Kilrathis are 2.25 meters tall ?
fralthi26.jpg

My new Gratha model and texture.

Very large? and doesn't appear to have windows, I'm guessing it might use cameras and screens to simulate a transparent hull effect?

Also about getting the pilot(s) inside, I was thinking of a platform that drops from the floor?

I'm still very confused about placement, expecially about where why how, the back is laid out. The thrusters and how they never quite line up from the side and top views. I used the below as refrence.
http://www.blacklance.org/claw/23.html

999dvds.jpg

222dtgd.jpg

11qaa.jpg

45ddrr.jpg

000ssdd.jpg

I would like to match my textures to the in game sprite models but I don't know how to get my games to work let alone extract the sprite image(s)
If anyone has them on hand it would be nice. I tried searching for the ingame sprites but the found only one very tiny one of the gratha and it really didn't help.

It would also help to have the sprites to make clear some of the confusion from the Claw marks drawings. :)

https://cdn.wcnews.com/newshots/full/brad-gratha.jpg
This makes me wonder as well, is this person more accurate? They appear to have figured out and came to the same conclusion about the components hanging below the wings before I did. Also the fact that they tilt and don't sit perpendicular to the ground.

Their engines seem to follow the side view of the clawmarks more accurately then I did. I chose the top view as my main determining factor for the engine location and how then connect to the base as well.

Even though it's a very simplified model it makes me wonder where I've gone astray.

Last edited by a moderator:
how can I not have found that page.. :( I could have sworn all I saw was this image on the CIC database
https://www.wcnews.com/ships2/images/wc1gratha.jpg

I guess I didn't let my internet load the page fully last time I was there.

And it was in question if that was a window or another paint stripe.

thanks a bunch though, that other image below the 3/4 view is what I needed. :)

All I had to go by was the Claw marks drawings and no windows were on those drawings.

another model I have to scrap :)

It looks like the engines stick out much further on the sprite renderings. I'll have to change the underside of the model and the top too.

Okay another questions... is this blue outline the habitable area of the ship?

I just looked at all the tiny images are realised they all seemed to signify the cockpit... I guess this could leave quite a bit of room for a second pilot.

https://www.wcnews.com/ships2/images/vdu/wc1gratha-vdu.gif

yeah my original gratha looked more like the sprites as I wanted the underbelly to run into the thrusters, though I kinda upsized the thrusters... so they are out of proportion.

gf2.gif

gf1.gif

gf3.gif

Great stuff - I actually like the untextured stuff a lot... it *feels* like the original Wing Commander. Also, the internal layout stuff on the Fralthi is something I don't think I've seen before... great job!

Two versions of the Fralthi , one is a Carrier and one a Battle Ship?

There are three, really. Wing Commander I had a 'cruiser' and a 'light carrier' which looked the same, the latter carrying twenty fighters. Then the Wing Commander movie had a 'cruiser' which carried fifty small fighters, but which looked completely different and was much older than the WC1ship.

Any ideas on the locations of the landing bays? I made a few places, especially since the Fralthi Carrier is said to carry a lot of fighters... I used clawmarks as refrence... I blew out the interior on the fralthi to make a few langing spots on the carrier version. I sized the Fralthi up a little to accomodate the fighters. Also sized the fighters down a teeeny bit too to get them to all fit comfortably.

The primary landing bay is forward center, below the bridge (presumably between the 'arms'). Its doors are circular and fifty feet across - the Kilrathi didn't have magnetic shields at this time, so the Fralthi's flight deck was protected by a circular double-door.

Any ideas on the interior?

Yes! A Fralthi light carrier plays a significant role in the first Wing Commander novel, Freedom Flight, and some of its internal layout is described:

The bridge is in the oval-shaped 'conning tower' which sticks up towards the front of the Claw Marks diagram. It has several separate stations which each have a computer console and a 'shock-chair'. Stations include, but are not limited to, Navigation, Executive Officer, Communications and Weapons Control. There would also be a command position, possible throne-like, for the Captain.

A double-door lift/elevator opens directly to the bridge, and it goes down to the Launch Bays (among other places). There is a switch for stopping the lift in mid-transit on its wall. It opens directly to the "Primary Launch Bay", with a view that allows you to see rows of parked fighters.

The bay is described as being "painted in odd oranges and reds, with a high curving ceiling covered with pipes and conduits. In addition to the lift entry point there is a hatch with a Kilrathi key pad. It opens to a corridor which runs the length of the ship to another similar hatch - which opens to the Aft Airlock.

There is a Captain's Cabin somewhere on the ship, but not on the same level as the Bridge. The Captain's Cabin has a 'suspended chair' made of woven fibers, a monitor interface and a cabinet. It opens to a corridor with a hatch.

There is a Weapons Armory which requires a keycode for entry.

In the hopes that My king or prince will give me command of my own ship ... Rawrrrr!!

Kilrathi females actually have quite a bit of control over the Empire - they run the Cult of Sivar, which has a huge amount of influence over the policies of the government and the military. One episode of Wing Commander Academy, The Price of Victory, involves a Kilrathi Princess who uses her position to have a carrier and its fighter complement act as her personal hunting party.

Kilrathis are 2.25 meters tall ?

That's probably about right - I've seen them described as everything from six to eight feet. Note that fighter scaling isn't WC's strong suit - most of the manuals have fighters that are a lot longer than would make sense compared to the size of a person in their cockpits.

Also about getting the pilot(s) inside, I was thinking of a platform that drops from the floor?

The Dralthi Mark II works this way in Secret Missions II. There's no specific continuity about the Gratha.

Okay another questions... is this blue outline the habitable area of the ship?

That's always been the suggestion, but it hasn't been stated for sure anywhere.

Thanks guys :)

Wow a circular double door, never would have suspected that. Okay time to make pressure doors.

The interior sounds tough to model.

Interesting about the females. I should watch Academy then :) I'm trying to put together a short film using the gratha, maybe some Ferrets, the Fralthi and a space station but I guess not the NC one I built cause it wasn't around, unless I've been roaming with an aging fleet and returned durring the Privateer days. but then I would have to be very old or a new born heir or something.

First off, great work. A lot of your images are have a real WC feel to them and definitely bring one back to the WC1 emotions.

I agree with LOAF, I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to do a cut away like you and what you come up with is really interesting. The rooms feel and look very kilrathi. It's funny how much kilrathi interiors look like the 70s with all the red, orange and yellow, kind of like a lot of school lockers when I was in school.

The Frathli battleship is an interesting intrepitation and I like how you have made the turrets look in the same style as the WC1 designs.

The Gratha is great! You have done a great job of creating a beautiful model.

Keep up the good work.

Holly cow! You are gifted!

A couple of questions... How long ago did you find wing commander? And where did you learn to do all this stuff?

Great job, especially with the Fralthi

Holly cow! You are gifted!

A couple of questions... How long ago did you find wing commander? And where did you learn to do all this stuff?

Great job, especially with the Fralthi

Thank you :)

I played wing commander when my dad got it as that was back in the floppydisk days and I remember we had a speech pack and my dad buying a sound card just so he could use it.

I think my first 3D experience was Quake and the Free Worldcraft world editor that came with it. I would spend hours making huge tomb raider type worlds that ran slow or crashed the game and the ones that did run well enough to play multiplayer you'd shoot a rocket and watch it streak through a statue filled hallway for 10 seconds or so, then dissapear because of the clipping distance. :) I did try to make some WC ships but they just sat there so it got kinda dull quick.

Right now I'm using XSI 5.0, before that I learned Maya 6.

XSI I pretty much learned on my own over time... I've had only a few months with the program but I'm catching on.

Thank you :)

I played wing commander when my dad got it as that was back in the floppydisk days and I remember we had a speech pack and my dad buying a sound card just so he could use it.

I think my first 3D experience was Quake and the Free Worldcraft world editor that came with it. I would spend hours making huge tomb raider type worlds that ran slow or crashed the game and the ones that did run well enough to play multiplayer you'd shoot a rocket and watch it streak through a statue filled hallway for 10 seconds or so, then dissapear because of the clipping distance. :) I did try to make some WC ships but they just sat there so it got kinda dull quick.

Right now I'm using XSI 5.0, before that I learned Maya 6.

XSI I pretty much learned on my own over time... I've had only a few months with the program but I'm catching on.

Cool!... Nice to see how this community keeps growing with more talented people...

I really liked your work so far, by the way, I had never seen the interior of a Fralthi before, it looks nice :D

Keep up the good work, if you need anything I'm sure everybody will be more than glad to give you a hand

Okay another try at the model :)

I figure the things under the wings were Lasers and Mass Drivers, and missles are carried under the wing perhaps.
Gratha_J.jpg

Awesome stuff Princess, good job! I like the interior and layout of the Fralthi!

fantastic work!

and wow...heheheh, don't go off of that brad-gratha shot at all. that was one of my first forays into low poly work WAY back in the day and by no means accurate at all.

seriously, really nice work you've done there!

Brad

Back