Shrike Gripes

I think I only played the 3dfx test not the actual demo. The one where you fly a Tigershark that mounts ion cannons, IIRC.

I like Tigershark as well. But not the Shrike, no sir.

Yeah, that's the 3dfx Test - but you should try the regular demo... it's set up as an extra set of story that takes place 'during' Prophecy.

Yeah, that's the 3dfx Test - but you should try the regular demo... it's set up as an extra set of story that takes place 'during' Prophecy.

I'll try to do that. But how could you now fire all your Dragonflies at once?

And I strongly disagree that the Shrike was ok for what it did.

I don't know about the "regular" Shrike (I'll most likely be playing Prophecy in a few weeks, though), but I thought the Black Shrike was by far SO's worst ship. No phase-bypassing gun, not enough torpedoes, mediocre guns, too slow...

I really enjoyed the third particle cannon on the Black Shrike. I just stuck to particle cannons.

Oooh, yeah, pulse particle cannons were great. Good damage, decent energy use, great refire rate and a long reach. The particle cannon should have been the complement to the Panther's cloudbursts instead of those crummy chain ions.

As great as the Dust cannon was on the Wasp, I found it almost useless on the Shrike due to the position and small energy pool. I too, only used Pulse particles which I found to be very good weapons and made wonder why they bothered to implement the chain ion.

So, yeah, I agree Vinman again (and Nomad Terror of course).

As great as the Dust cannon was on the Wasp, I found it almost useless on the Shrike due to the position and small energy pool. I too, only used Pulse particles which I found to be very good weapons and made wonder why they bothered to implement the chain ion.

So, yeah, I agree Vinman again (and Nomad Terror of course).

Use WCPedit and replace the Panther's chain ions with particles, you'll never want to go back!

Oooh, yeah, pulse particle cannons were great. Good damage, decent energy use, great refire rate and a long reach. The particle cannon should have been the complement to the Panther's cloudbursts instead of those crummy chain ions.

I loved the Cloudburst, but at the same time when I flew the fighter, there were times I was pretty much begging for the tachyon guns to replace the damn chain ion. Call me old fasion, but as much as I dispised the Ion cannon, there was nothing i loved more then lining up a shot and hitting an enemy fighter with full guns for an instant kill. You really couldn't do that with Black Panther loadout. Even had they replaced that damn chain ion with the PIS Particle gun they had on the Vamp, I'dve been happy.

I never had a big problem with the chain ion, but I do despise the heck out of the regular ion gun. I would rather have even lasers than those inefficient pieces of crap, let alone a reaper cannon, particle cannon, pulse particle, etc.

As far as the Shrike goes, it was OK I guess, but I generally just pop off all my IRs and go for the cap ship and leave the remaining fighters for my wingmen on bombing missions; no dogfighting in a bomber for me, no sir.

I kind of get the impression that all kinds of goofy exotic/experimental weapons are aboard the Cerberus as part of its original shakedown mission.

That's certainly a valid in-game explanation. But I wonder why the designers bothered to implement the chain ion or, better said, why they implemented a weapon that had nothing going for it when compared to the pulse particle. Heck, give the pulse particle a refire delay of 0.2 and suddenly the chain ion has its own merits. But so...

I guess it was balancing.

The Secret Ops fiction claimed that the Chain Ion Gun was bad at damaging shields but was effective against armor -- not sure if this is actually reflected in the game or not.

One thing that players tend to forget is that your game *needs* weapons that aren't as good or that don't work exactly right... the Rapier isn't special if you aren't taught to dislike the Scimitar.

Back