Shields? What Shields?

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm not sure if we've had this discussion before, but I think it's something to do with the fact that it doesn't make sense for a ship to be able to shoot through its own shields - hence the phase shields don't extend over the turrets.

Why not? Synchronize the shield so that they drop for the second it takes the gun to fire, then pop it back up. I understand WW1 pilots had a similar synchronization mechanism which allowed them to shoot through their propeller arc without shredding the blades...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

With all this laser fire, i think that method would be too risky since a (or many) stray shots from enemy ships could hit the hull in that moment.

With all this laser fire, i think that method would be too risky since a (or many) stray shots from enemy ships could hit the hull in that moment.

Not really, a single turret only needs an instant to fire, and perhaps the shields are agile enough to be in sync with the turrets as they fire. Really, hitting something through those shields that are down for an instant over a very small area would be mostly inconsequential. One or two stray blasts to each turret is what armor is for... right?

I seem to remeber something about frequency of shields, this is why torpedo has a lock time of 12 seconds, to determine the frequency of shields so it can bypass them.
Could turrets use the same principle, but other way around?

Uh does this answer your question?

I seem to remeber something about frequency of shields, this is why torpedo has a lock time of 12 seconds, to determine the frequency of shields so it can bypass them.

I always thought it had to do with frequency... shields on a ship are generated at a particular frequency, and the guns are tuned to it. Energy blasts tuned to the shield's frequency would pass through the shield effortlessly. That's what I thought torpedoes did.

I hope so.

Uh does this answer your question?

I always thought it had to do with frequency... shields on a ship are generated at a particular frequency, and the guns are tuned to it. Energy blasts tuned to the shield's frequency would pass through the shield effortlessly. That's what I thought torpedoes did.

I hope so.

whoops

ugh... How do you delete? I tried using the 'Edit' button, but it required me to login, even though I did. Sorry about the double post anyway.

As for your question, I think they are.

Ya know, that is pretty lame way of getting the number of posts for next rank.
I asked is this (read my lips) A FACT?:rolleyes:

I'm insulted.

Ya know, that is pretty lame way of getting the number of posts for next rank.

Seriously, I'm <i>not</b> doing that! Plus, doesn't that get you banned if you multi-post like that?

I'm not sure if it's a <b>fact</b> like you say however...

No, if it's accidental, but if you multi-post on purpose...you'll get banned, you'll lose your rank and you'll become a Swabbie.
Well, thanks anyway. Should we go ask LOAF now?:)
Say, how come I can't see bold letters?

You can't delete. Ever. They do that deliberately so that no
one can go back and pretend they never said something. Same with editing -- you can only edit something you have created within the last two hours. After that, it's set in stone forever.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by -<Stiletto>-

(...) Maybe they should remove that *delete* button from the Edit screen??
(...)
Don't think they will...

My guess is that admins have the same edit screen as regular users, except they have the "delete" power enabled. Removing it from the regular user screen would require modifying the board structure IMHO...

Of course, I'm only guessing here... :)

mpanty's probably right about that. I used to be an admin on some other forums, and that was how it worked. It wasn't quite the same type as the ones used here, but I guess these little things work the same way in most forum types.

Besides, whenever you double post, you can just edit one of the posts and delete all the text in it... that should make it less annoying :)

Oh, and BTW... Welcome back, mpanty! :)

--Eder

Thanks Eder!
Sorry 'bout those sketches, but I've had many other things on my mind and right now, Wing Commander is the least of my worries...

Hope the project went on without that artwork... :)

Yeah, well, since there's been a small change of plans <G> the project won't need all those scenes anymore, just about two different simple rooms... and I think I can manage that (I hope so! :)) So don't worry about that, 'tis all right :)

--Eder

this refers to the earlier bridge size debate

its more likely than not that the bridge does not include living quarters, instead maybe the bridge target is so big that either:
A) you can see it
or B) the torp is powerful enough to damage it from anywhere in that radius

but the torp always hits the centre of the target anyway, so its probably so people can see the bridge!, if u want it smaller, fly away from the capship, it reduces the flak and then when uve got the lock, take a diving run!

finally, the torps lock (as i understand it) by alligning the frequency of its shields with the capship shields (at inverse polarised amplitudes of course) so that when they collide the shields are neutralised, for that instant, at the point of contact, neither capship or torpedo are protected with the torp shields, protecting the torps front and the capships shields protecting its rear, but the sides being unprotected, at that point the torp is inside the shields.

However this does not explain maniacs suggestion in the wc3 manual of "dumb-firing" the torpedoes however perhaps the torpedoes could explode with enough power to damage the ship through the shields, a possible killer blow with a weak and small capship

Back