Shields? What Shields?

-<Stiletto>-

Spaceman
Has anyone wondered why it is possible to scrape components off WCP Era Capships through phase shields with pathetic weapons, while you can't touch other parts?

Maybe it's impossible to have outgoing energy blasts on a Turret and shield them, but what the @%^ does that have to do with a shield generator?

Damn WCP turrets seem to have no shields, while useless hull sections do... Hmmm!

I don't know about your first point, but there's no such thing as 'useless hull sections.' The phase shields in this case limit an attacker to striking at the bridge and engines, rather than wherever he can get a lock.

I'm not sure if we've had this discussion before, but I think it's something to do with the fact that it doesn't make sense for a ship to be able to shoot through its own shields - hence the phase shields don't extend over the turrets.

Hi

I'd guess that the wash from the engines would affect any type of shielding.

As to why the bridge is uncovered, perhaps phase shielding would block sensor readings. Other than that, no ideas.

The bridge and the engines are covered by phase shields. Perhaps the reason why you can only target these components is because its the fastest way to blow up the capship.

As to why the bridge is uncovered, perhaps phase shielding would block sensor readings. Other than that, no ideas.

Why can't you have a sensor array that's separated from the Bridge but connected physically? Eg, a modern Submarine Towed-array sonar.

The bridge and the engines are covered by phase shields. Perhaps the reason why you can only target these components is because its the fastest way to blow up the capship.

Well, I seriously don't know how just disabling the command bridge and engines would blow up a ship. Perhaps it would just render it unable to fight?

Well, I seriously don't know how just disabling the command bridge and engines would blow up a ship. Perhaps it would just render it unable to fight?

If you notice in WCP/3/4 the cap ships don't "blow up," they kinda sit there exploding forever. I think they are rendered inoperable. Life support and everything is probably blown out with the bridge or something.

The big question I have is, why do the Nephilim design their ships with Phase shields if they have never contacted us before WCP and why do they have a concept of a "bridge?"

The "bridge" is a general term for all the command and controlas well as living quaters in a ship. thus all other components(jump drive, auxillary power and structural integrity field) are stored elsewhere. possibly, all later ships were build with lots of structural integrety build in as well as in generators, thus the don't go BOOOMMM!!!:D

Originally posted by Aggietheo
The big question I have is, why do the Nephilim design their ships with Phase shields if they have never contacted us before WCP and why do they have a concept of a "bridge?"

In a universe as big as ours, and therefore WC's, it makes sense that some races will develop the same technology independently of each other, due to the universality of science. The Nephilim simply had phase shields long before they met us. "Bridge" is just our term for command center. Every race should have their own form of this, as it comes with the technology of ship building. THis doesn't mean that they have the same bridge layout that we use. It just meams that they would have something that serves the same role as a bridge on their ships.

One doesn't *need* to have a command center. It's just beneficial for our methods of organization and control.

TC

if the "bridge" is a command center, its one helluva big command centre. as big as CENTCOM for desert storm!!!!

i prefer to think of the bridge like the saucer section in "star trek"
it has the living quaters ,galley,personnel recreation facilities , bridge,and central computer core and processers, while the rest of the ship contains: life support, stardrive, jump drive, cargo hold, ammunition(capmiss) storage, main weapons and sensors

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm not sure if we've had this discussion before, but I think it's something to do with the fact that it doesn't make sense for a ship to be able to shoot through its own shields - hence the phase shields don't extend over the turrets.

I always thought it had to do with frequency... shields on a ship are generated at a particular frequency, and the guns are tuned to it. Energy blasts tuned to the shield's frequency would pass through the shield effortlessly. That's what I thought torpedoes did.

How am I wrong?

Originally posted by dacis2
if the "bridge" is a command center, its one helluva big command centre. as big as CENTCOM for desert storm!!!!

i prefer to think of the bridge like the saucer section in "star trek"
it has the living quaters ,galley,personnel recreation facilities , bridge,and central computer core and processers, while the rest of the ship contains: life support, stardrive, jump drive, cargo hold, ammunition(capmiss) storage, main weapons and sensors

The targeted bridge in Prophecy may contain *multiple* bridges -- for we know WC capships have them... jump bridge, combat bridge, regular bridge, backup bridge, and so forth.

Originally posted by Saturnyne

I always thought it had to do with frequency... shields on a ship are generated at a particular frequency, and the guns are tuned to it. Energy blasts tuned to the shield's frequency would pass through the shield effortlessly.

"They've adapted! Remodulate phasers!" :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

The targeted bridge in Prophecy may contain *multiple* bridges -- for we know WC capships have them... jump bridge, combat bridge, regular bridge, backup bridge, and so forth.

Umm, forgive me, but WHY would you place the backup bridge in the same place as the C&C? :confused: :)

Originally posted by Bob McDob

Umm, forgive me, but WHY would you place the backup bridge in the same place as the C&C? :confused: :)

Umm, go back to the original question -- why is the area targeted by the 'bridge' brackets so large? Possibly because it targets *multiple* bridges. (Which is to say, they're *not* the same space -- it's a *large* area).

Back