Seether

Originally posted by Raptor Well, Down's Syndrome is a *chromosomal* abnormality, not a genetic one...
Sorry about Down's--I felt uncomfortable w/ that example myself, but my weary brain couldn't come up w/ anything else @ that moment. My bad...

This is on the assumption that there is such a gene, of course. That is the point I always keep coming back to...If none of those conditions can be satisfied, then scientifically speaking, that trait can't be said to be genetic.
More correctly, it can't be "proven" to be genetic (leastways, not YET).

As far as intelligence goes, none of those *have* been satisfied. All you have presented so far is possibilities and speculations, and that doesn't satisfy the burden of scientific proof. Not only that, in science, if someone postulates the existence of something...then the burden of proving that falls on that person, rather than on others to disprove it. It's a little ludicrous to say "This exists, and the reason that we haven't found any proof for it such and such, and we *will* eventually find the proof that supports my viewpoint." That relies on taking things on faith, which just doesn't fit the scientific method. You always go with the evidence that you *have*, not the evidence that *might* exist.
Point 1) I am not *the* person who came up with the viewpoint I've been espousing, I'm just the one who brought it to this particular forum at the moment. If this area were an area of keen interest to me, I would be able to tell you *who* the person/group is that did come up with it. Fact is, all my writings thus far have drawn on my background of medical training and 15 years as a practitioner, countless journal articles read, etc. etc....But the irony is, even that knowledge base (being as my area is surgery, not genetics) is sufficient to refute many of the points/suppositions/etc. that've been made.

Point 2) It seems that you (and a few million others) are forgetting the fact that the same applies to YOU. To whit, the vaunted "theory of evolution": Seems folks forget that it's just a theory, and take it as, um, "gospel" (pun fully intended) that this is so. Much of your writings on this thread fall back upon the considerably shaky foundation of evolution/natural selection. There's so many holes in the theory that any impartial, rational scientist, schooled in scientific theory, knows that it's far from "proven" by any stretch of the imagination. Frankly, it takes less faith to believe in "Creation theory" than it does to take such leaps in logic as are commonly made in this area!... I suggest you listen to a series of talks recently given by John MacArthur on the subject ("The Battle For The Beginning"), and you'll see just how "ludicrous" blind faith in "evolution" is...

Now, you're certainly entitled to say that it's your *belief* that intelligence is genetic... it remains just that, a belief or a hypothesis, and not a scientific fact...However, you can't simultaneously claim that trying to select for traits such as intelligence is scientifically sound, and then try to prove the existence of genes that code for intelligence in a way that goes against the scientific method..
I don't say that "trying to select for traits such as intelligence is scientifically sound". I think we've both proven that it ain't. And, as for trying "to prove the existence of genes that code for intelligence in a way that goes against the scientific method", I ain't doin' that either. All I said was, THUS far it hasn't been proven. And I expect if/when it IS, it'll be fully compliant w/ the scientific method.

I think I'll just leave the Creator out of it, if it's all the same to you. Debating theology definitely isn't the way I want to go. The differances could just as easily be explained by natural means (i.e the small starting population of African women that I talked about earlier) as by divine ones. As I said though, that's an area of debate that I have no intent of getting into.
I don't want a theological discussion either, at least not here. I meant simply to point out that, if "evolution" is NOT responsible for the genetic situation as it exists, then someONE *is* (since I'm not aware of any "3rd" theory that attempts to explain it all; if YOU are, feel free to enlighten me).

...I was replying to a point that you raised in the first post you made, which admitedly was a while back. To be specific:

"Natural selection, if it is to be believed in the first place, applies to "closed systems" (i.e., the "natural world"), not to human systems. The very things that set us apart from the animals are the things that doom this comparison. We have morals (well, some of us anyway...), intellect, reasoning, intelligence, free will, consciences, etc., and the animals do not. Therefore, we make free choices about with whom to mate and produce offspring, etc. This alters the equation considerably, and largely renders the comparison null & void."

The example of skin pigmentation (the differant adaption to hot and cold climates) shows that natural selection does in fact apply to human systems as well as natural ones. If our free choice about who to mate with and so on could in fact render natural selection null and void, then these adpations could not have taken place. The fact that they have shows that free choice doesn't over-ride the basic proccesses of nature.
Attempted Clarification: My point is that "natural selection", if it exists, would apply to the beasts completely,whereas it would
apply to humans only *partially*. Your skin color passage does nothing to refute this. Skin pigmentation is but a single trait; you've not really addressed the specific ones I raised, which are most DEFINITELY influenced by conscience/free will, etc. And, yes, the skin thing certainly CAN have taken place without my point being nullified, since I never said that free will affects ALL genetic traits, only a few--but a POTENT few they are....

Again, the Dawkins theory is that "altruism" is only a disguised methord of gaining advantage for yourself. If you have help someone out, you leave him in debt to you, and give yourself a future ally. His theory is that our behaviour is driven by the "selfish" genes, which are interested only in their own perpetuation. In other words, we're no differant from any other animal in that we act in ways that will contibute to the survival of our genes, we just have a much less straight forward way of doing that. Like I said, it's not a theory that I like very much, but he supports his theory very well with examples of how even the most seemingly alturistic behaviour can be explained in terms of personal advantage. I would certainly reccomend reading it if you can get hold of a copy.
This "theory" is crap, and it heartens me to know that you're not comfortable with it yourself. Lemme make you even *more* uncomfortable with it: Do you suppose the firefighters/cops who perished helping office workers get out of the towers (before they fell) expected to survive the experience?...They were doing a dangerous job, and as soon as they knew the towers might fall, they decided to sacrifice themselves anyway, to save as many others as they could. Sure, some left behind kids to propagate their genes in the gene pool, but what about the bachelors and childless amongst these heroes? Let your guy Dawkins try and explain THAT....

Originally posted by Preacher
Sorry about Down's--I felt uncomfortable w/ that example myself, but my weary brain couldn't come up w/ anything else @ that moment. My bad...

No problem. As you say, it's been a while since you studied genetics. I naturally assumed that a doctor would know the cause of a medical condition like Down's, and just took it from there.

Okay, seeing as this has been a long (and rather convoluted thread), how about we try to clarify just what we agree on and what we don't? That way, we can focuses on *really* getting down to arguing. :)

More correctly, it can't be "proven" to be genetic (leastways, not YET).

But proof is everything in science. Without any proof (or even any substantial and unequivocal evidence), it can't be stated as a scientific fact that intelligence is genetic, can it? So you would agree me with that, to the best of scientific knowledge at the present time, there is no known gene that codes for intelligence, let alone one that codes for superior intelligence. The best that can said that it's hypothesised that such a gene *may* exist, but that's a long way from saying (as others have tried to argue in this thread) that there are obviously superior genes such as the ones that code for a superior intellignce. If one don't even know that something exists, how can it be said that it's superior?

I don't say that "trying to select for traits such as intelligence is scientifically sound". I think we've both proven that it ain't.

On that point, we're in one hundred percent agreement.

Attempted Clarification: My point is that "natural selection", if it exists, would apply to the beasts completely,whereas it would
apply to humans only *partially*. Your skin color passage does nothing to refute this. Skin pigmentation is but a single trait; you've not really addressed the specific ones I raised, which are most DEFINITELY influenced by conscience/free will, etc. And, yes, the skin thing certainly CAN have taken place without my point being nullified, since I never said that free will affects ALL genetic traits, only a few--but a POTENT few they are....

So you would agree that *most* traits are subject to natural selection, even in humans, especially purely physical ones? That would support the point we both seem to be agreeing on that there is no such thing as a "superior" genotype, one that would give a person who possesses it an unqualified advantage, and that trying to engineer such a genotype is folly? If there was such a superior genotype, then natural selection would have selcted for such types, even in us humans.

To be honest with you, those two points are the only ones that I have had any burning interest in making throughout this thread. The first is that there is no clearcut "superior genotype", and the second is that trying to engineer such a one is foolish at best and outright disasterous at best. As someone who is passionate about science, it's always turned my stomach to see people try to describe Tolwyn's plans as "scientific" or "genetically sound." The kind of Eugenics he was planning is as much a perversion of science as all the "religious" wars and killings are a perversion of the faith.

Point 2) It seems that you (and a few million others) are forgetting the fact that the same applies to YOU. To whit, the vaunted "theory of evolution": Seems folks forget that it's just a theory, and take it as, um, "gospel" (pun fully intended) that this is so. Much of your writings on this thread fall back upon the considerably shaky foundation of evolution/natural selection. There's so many holes in the theory that any impartial, rational scientist, schooled in scientific theory, knows that it's far from "proven" by any stretch of the imagination. Frankly, it takes less faith to believe in "Creation theory" than it does to take such leaps in logic as are commonly made in this area!... I suggest you listen to a series of talks recently given by John MacArthur on the subject ("The Battle For The Beginning"), and you'll see just how "ludicrous" blind faith in "evolution" is...

Er, I should point out that there is a fairly significant differance between "natural selection" and "evolution". I have been using the terms natural selection and adaptation throughout this thread, not evolution, and I'll go into the differance below.

Natural selection is simply the enhanced rate of survival and perpetuation that those who are best suited to their particular envoirnment have, and the increases in the frequency of the genes responsible in the population as a whole as a result of that, which makes the whole population more suited to that envoirnment. Natural selection has been widely documented, from species as widely varying as fruit flies to rabbits to humans (that one of skin pigmentation we have been talking about being just one) and has been replicated in the lab. There is nothing particularly doubtfull, controversial or shaky about it.

Evolution, on the other hand, is the result of very large shifts in gene frequencies over millions of years, eventually leading to speciation (where the two groups of the one starting population have diverged so much that they are genetically incompatible with each other, making them two seperate species) and is, as you say, a lot more controversial. Because of the time scale involved, it can't be observed *or* replicated, making the evidence for it much more indirect.

Now, while natural selection has been postulated as the *mechanism* for evolution, it is not evolution in itself. Not only that, while evolution can't exist without natural selction, natural selection exists regardless of the validity of evolution. Or to put it another way, it's a cause and effect thing. Remove the cause and the effect vanishes. Removing the effect, on the other hand, in no way affects the existence of the cause.

Now, as for evolution, I agree that is *not* been proven to the status of the scientific law. Hence the reason it is called the *theory* of evolution. While it has quite a lot of evidence behind it (elevating it from a hypothesis to a theory, which are very differant things in science) it may never achieve the volume of evidence to be proven as a scientific law, and I'm fine with that.

Just as an aside, I could of course say it may *eventually* be proved in a way that is fully compliant with scientific theory (in the same way that you do with genetic intellignce), but I regard such a view as being unscientific in itself. As I said a while back, in science, you always go with the evidence you have, not what may exist in the future.

The view I have always taken on evolution vs creation is that it's one on which intelligent and rational people can differ. As I said before though, all my points were in referance to natural selection, not evolution. As i've also said before, I have no particular interest in debating the existence of a Creator, because that is essentially an unresolvable argument that is likely to go on forever.

This "theory" is crap, and it heartens me to know that you're not comfortable with it yourself. Lemme make you even *more* uncomfortable with it: Do you suppose the firefighters/cops who perished helping office workers get out of the towers (before they fell) expected to survive the experience?...They were doing a dangerous job, and as soon as they knew the towers might fall, they decided to sacrifice themselves anyway, to save as many others as they could. Sure, some left behind kids to propagate their genes in the gene pool, but what about the bachelors and childless amongst these heroes? Let your guy Dawkins try and explain THAT....

To be blunt, I don't want to use what happened on September 11th as debate fodder in an argument with you, and I'm not going to demean the memory of those people by trying to score debating points on their motivations. All I'll say is that if you read Dawkin's book (your local library should have a copy), you might want to check over his chapter on kin selection. And if you can find a way to disprove what he writes there, then I would be as happy as the next man. As I said, it's a theory that disturbs me.

Best, Raptor

Just as an aside, I could of course say [evolution] may *eventually* be proved in a way that is fully compliant with scientific theory . . ., but I regard such a view as being unscientific in itself. As I said a while back, in science, you always go with the evidence you have, not what may exist in the future.

Thomas Kuhn would of course disagree. (Sorry for the interruption, but you did say it was an “aside”. Feel free to continue with the main event.:))

Originally posted by Raptor
No problem. As you say, it's been a while since you studied genetics...
Like I said, I was tired...

But proof is everything in science. Without any proof (or even any substantial and unequivocal evidence), it can't be stated as a scientific fact that intelligence is genetic, can it? So you would agree me with that, to the best of scientific knowledge at the present time, there is no known gene that codes for intelligence, let alone one that codes for superior intelligence. The best that can said that it's hypothesised that such a gene *may* exist, but that's a long way from saying (as others have tried to argue in this thread) that there are obviously superior genes such as the ones that code for a superior intellignce. If one don't even know that something exists, how can it be said that it's superior?
Agreed.

So you would agree that *most* traits are subject to natural selection, even in humans, especially purely physical ones? That would support the point we both seem to be agreeing on that there is no such thing as a "superior" genotype, one that would give a person who possesses it an unqualified advantage, and that trying to engineer such a genotype is folly? If there was such a superior genotype, then natural selection would have selcted for such types, even in us humans.
I have been writing from the assumption that natural selection is in operation, though frankly I'm not convinced that it does (nor that it operates as universally in we humans, IF it's in operation, as it does in the natural world). However, that's the viewpoint from which the thread was started, so I'm going along with it. Given that caveat, then yes, we's in agreement.

To be honest with you, those two points are the only ones that I have had any burning interest in making throughout this thread...
Agreed.

Natural selection is... There is nothing particularly doubtfull, controversial or shaky about it.
Agreed (keeping in mind the above).

Evolution, on the other hand, is the result of very large shifts in gene frequencies over millions of years... Because of the time scale involved, it can't be observed *or* replicated, making the evidence for it much more indirect.
True, but also the "evidence" is much more suspect for a host of OTHER reasons as well.

Now, while natural selection has been postulated as the *mechanism* for evolution, it is not evolution in itself. Not only that, while evolution can't exist without natural selction, natural selection exists regardless of the validity of evolution. Or to put it another way, it's a cause and effect thing. Remove the cause and the effect vanishes. Removing the effect, on the other hand, in no way affects the existence of the cause.
Bingo.

Now, as for evolution, I agree that is *not* been proven to the status of the scientific law. Hence the reason it is called the *theory* of evolution. While it has quite a lot of evidence behind it (elevating it from a hypothesis to a theory, which are very differant things in science) it may never achieve the volume of evidence to be proven as a scientific law, and I'm fine with that.
Agreed, ATS. (= "And THEN Some...")

...As i've also said before, I have no particular interest in debating the existence of a Creator, because that is essentially an unresolvable argument that is likely to go on forever..
Not forever; just until Judgment Day (and though we don't know when that will be, it's best to be prepared--since it's getting closer every minute).

To be blunt, I don't want to use what happened on September 11th as debate fodder in an argument with you, and I'm not going to demean the memory of those people by trying to score debating points on their motivations. All I'll say is that if you read Dawkin's book (your local library should have a copy), you might want to check over his chapter on kin selection. And if you can find a way to disprove what he writes there, then I would be as happy as the next man. As I said, it's a theory that disturbs me..
The point wasn't to argue with you; it was to see Dawkins try & explain *that* situation....Make ya a deal: You read/listen to MacArthur, and I'll try and locate this Dawkins guy's book & read it, 'kay?...

No problem. And seeing as we've pretty much resolved everything that we were disputing, I think that's a good time to bring this thread to an end. It's been fun, but it's also taken *way* too much of my on-line time. :)

Best, Raptor

Back