Secret Missions 1 (again)

Unforgiven

Spaceman
I'm continuing my struggle against SM1, with, unfortunately, not much success. After the last thread (the 'protect the dralthi' mission) I've been faring reasonably well.
Killed the ambush force, the Gwenhyvar (man that was hard too! Those rapiers seem much tougher when I'm not flying them :D )
But now I have to go blow up some supply depot in a Scimitar.
Nav 1: 4 Salthi, no problem
Nav 2: 6(?) Krants + a cargo ship of some sorts, no problem
Nav 3: Supply depot + well I don't know how many but a lot of Jalthis, problem!!!

No matter what approach I try, I always get torn up by the Jalthis. If I don't close tail them the one I've locked on will kill me. If I do close tail them they'll shoot me down from behind, the one I'm following will lead me into the guns of others, or a few missiles up my rear do the trick.
If I just go after the depot, I don't have enough afterburner fuel to destroy the depot and make an escape without getting killed again.
Paladin is not much help either. In fact, the few times I managed to stay alive a while longer, he dies! Which is not acceptable to me either.

Any advice on how to do this?

What works for me is; save your missiles till you get to the Jalthi, constantly AB slide as close to them as you can and let loose a dumbfire into thier sides, also dont stray too close to nav 3 otherwise you'll have to deal with the Krant also... I try to keep my wingmen in formation until we've passed the enemy and then let me loose, not that it always works, however...

When there are so many enemy fighters it happens fairly often that they shoot each other half to death on the first pass, that should work especially fine with Jalthi since they are big and can't evade.

When fighting several Jalthi just never stay too long at one place, keep turning even when tailing a Jalthi.

Helpful as ever, I know... ;)

Alrighty now...

Yet again, I'm here to save the day. As I said before, having trouble on a mission? E-mail me.. Why didn't you :(..

Anyway, here we gooo,

Alrighty now...

Yet again, I'm here to save the day. As I said before, having trouble on a mission? E-mail me.. Why didn't you :(..

Anyway, here we gooo, First of all, congrats on the mission vs the Gwenyvar.. I never have actually been able to kill the rapiers (never tried, I just go after the gwhenyvar and then run, seems impossible at times, maybe vs rapiers its easy..)

Now, if I remember correctly, the supply depot is actually a refueling depot, correct? Well, first of all, Paladin sucks, let me put that in the open right now. The worst two wingmen are Spirit and Paladin (in this wingcommander for me) If you had someone like Iceman or Hunter on your wing. it would be no problem.. Here's what I did:

First, auto into the system (duh) line up with a Salthi and launch and take it out. It should die quick.... Stay on his tail and make sure you nail him. Make sure this Salthi is going for you. If you get it, you should only have 1 remaining salthi on your tail, which you don't even far as much as look at. As soon as the first Salthi is dead, Afterburn into the station, when you get in range, unselect afterburn and launch a couple of Heat Seekers and as many guns as possible. When you get close, turn and afterbrun out. Continue doing this with Heat Seekers. Soon the base will fall. Stop firing missles when you run out of heat seekers. Continue making runs with guns, Using full speed to get in range and afterburning out, if your shields lower just hold afterburn to make all your runs.. This base should fall no problem. I thought this mission was relatively easy actually. Anyway, turn, kill the Salthi, you should get by that easy.

Now, I found a trick for killing krants/gratha... It works awesomely... When they jump in, make a full speed pass on the first one and nail it, its front should at least be red.(if its not dead) Get on its tail and kill it... If it is dead there should be 1 more krant going after you... Cut your throttle. Move no where. 0 speed. The krant will come after you slowely. When he gets in range fire full guns. Usually it will work the krant will take out your shields, but he'll be dead. Taunt another Krant and kill it when you feel confident you have enough shields... There should be 1 left. Call Paladin to form on your wing, and as the last krant shoots at him, take it out.. Next stage: Jalthi

(the only missle/place you should have used missles was on the depot, and only heatseekers. try and spare them, you really don't have to use them on the depot as thats real easy, but still...) If I remember correctly there was only 4 Jalthi, I know that is really hard sometimes, but you should get it.. First of all, First pass:

I know this sounds suicidal, but first pass I always go nose to nose with a jalthi. Usually they shoot right around me while I nail them in the nose, so when they jump into the system get full speed and launch full guns on the first ones nose followed by a carefully placed dumbfire. That Jalthi should die VERY easily. next jalthi you get on the tail of and knock out its back shields.. Set same speed with it, if it afterburns, you do also, if it kickstops, you do too. Make sure you stick on its tail. When you have a clear shot, launch a second dumbfire. Around this time Paladin will get "routed".. If he's not, great, call the next jalthi over and take it out withthe first strategy.. (nose on with dumbfire) then sweep up the other one with guns only (don't wanna hit paladin) If he did get routed turn away from the jalthi and hit caps lock when at full speed. Let the jalthi follow you, if they get to close, use afterburn, if they stay in weapons range kill them.. This will:

Cause you to go backwards at the speed you set. if they fall behind, you can stop, if they approach rapidly, you can afterburn, etc... So just shoot them backwards.. they can't hit you... Use dumbfires freely..

Benny..

Sheesh, Pug, that looked like an accident to me - it happens sometimes if you have a slow connection.

I haven't read all the advice you guys have given, but if you're having trouble on that mission, just blow the space station and then run away! (As cowardly as that seems to a Kilrathi - better to complete the mission objective than being a dead hero) No one said you had to kill all the fighters too, did they?

Funny thing about that mission is that killing everything should be worth at least a Gold Star. And what do you get?

Re: Alrighty now...

This doesn't sound right to me, somehow.
Originally posted by Ben
First, auto into the system (duh) line up with a Salthi and launch and take it out. It should die quick.... Stay on his tail and make sure you nail him. Make sure this Salthi is going for you. If you get it, you should only have 1 remaining salthi on your tail, which you don't even far as much as look at. As soon as the first Salthi is dead, Afterburn into the station, when you get in range, unselect afterburn and launch a couple of Heat Seekers and as many guns as possible. When you get close, turn and afterbrun out. Continue doing this with Heat Seekers. Soon the base will fall. Stop firing missles when you run out of heat seekers. Continue making runs with guns, Using full speed to get in range and afterburning out, if your shields lower just hold afterburn to make all your runs.. This base should fall no problem. I thought this mission was relatively easy actually. Anyway, turn, kill the Salthi, you should get by that easy.
This gives me the idea that the Depot was at nav 1 with the Salthi for you. It's not. It's at Nav 3 with the Jalthi. Also, although I've tried to take out the base while ignoring the Jalthi, it far from fell easy. After firing all my missiles on it, it still wasn't dead. And then I ran out of afterburner fuel.

(I know this sounds suicidal, but first pass I always go nose to nose with a jalthi. Usually they shoot right around me while I nail them in the nose, so when they jump into the system get full speed and launch full guns on the first ones nose followed by a carefully placed dumbfire. That Jalthi should die VERY easily. next jalthi you get on the tail of and knock out its back shields.. Set same speed with it, if it afterburns, you do also, if it kickstops, you do too. Make sure you stick on its tail. When you have a clear shot, launch a second dumbfire. Around this time Paladin will get "routed".. If he's not, great, call the next jalthi over and take it out withthe first strategy.. (nose on with dumbfire) then sweep up the other one with guns only (don't wanna hit paladin) If he did get routed turn away from the jalthi and hit caps lock when at full speed. Let the jalthi follow you, if they get to close, use afterburn, if they stay in weapons range kill them.. This will:

Cause you to go backwards at the speed you set. if they fall behind, you can stop, if they approach rapidly, you can afterburn, etc... So just shoot them backwards.. they can't hit you... Use dumbfires freely..

Benny..
I don't have enough dumbfires for that, I only have 2. (+3 Heatseekers, and that's all the missiles)
And I was not aware the WC1 ships can autoslide. At least the KS manual says only (some) WC3 ships can (which I use gratefully agains corvettes).

Lemme..

Let me replay the mission and try again. Its been a while. ALso, don't go for the station with jalthi, kill it when salthi are around. dodging jalthi while taking out a starbase is way to hard, still with slathi. Afterburn in and out of ranger of the sb constantly..

Ben

Back