Scariest moment

Phillip Tanaka

Swabbie
Banned
What, in your opinion, was the scariest moment in any Wing Commander game? For my money, it had to be (spoiler below)

The lose ending to the Secret Missions. I remember playing that when I was, geez, years and years ago, and I swear that gave me nightmares. I think the music was the worst part, and it still troubles me even today. In fact, it may be the scariest and most troubling part I've seen from any video game. Also count the destruction of Earth in Heart of the Tiger. That lose ending was rather disturbing in my opinion as well.

playing the last mission of wc1 for more than an hour (in the same try) and realizing the waves were infinite... then trying to get my POS beat up ship to actually go for the station instead of taking out fighters. at least it was fun.

-scheherazade

I 'love' how you refer to it as fun. I've done that myself. Also, you may remember fighting against Kilrathi that would not attack, but keep just outside of your range, and you couldn't kill them no matter what you do. Maybe not the scariest moment, but one of the most frustrating.

Originally posted by scheherazade
playing the last mission of wc1 for more than an hour (in the same try) and realizing the waves were infinite... then trying to get my POS beat up ship to actually go for the station instead of taking out fighters. at least it was fun.

I don't believe there are any infinite waves of fighters in the first Wing Commander game. In the last mission on the winning track, you face a wing of four Krant medium fighters by the Fralthi and then wings of four Gratha heavy fighters, four Salthi light fighters, and four Jalthi heavy fighters by the Starpost. There are only 18 possible kills available in that mission.

The most scariest WC moment:
I was playing WC3, and my girlfriend shouted: *Turn off the damn PC and come with me, if not you will lose me*
And i said: *better lose you than the Earth*
No, that wasn´t what i said, i said: *Yes, Ma´am* :( :( :(

wildweasel < that combo cycles over. once you go through them all it starts over again. i remember there being more than one wave of salthi, and stuff between them. so i know it repeats.

-scheherazade

Scariest moment?

Either when the Cats closed the jump point in WCIII or when Tolwyn turned the Vesuvius around in IV. Both of those made me crap my pants.

Originally posted by Ghost
I was playing WC3, and my girlfriend shouted: *Turn off the damn PC and come with me, if not you will lose me*

LOL!!!! That's really funny.

Maybe not the scariest... but deffinately most fustrating moment for me was when I got the first WC game I ever played... WC2. I was young and stupid... so I refused to read the manual. I was expecting your average space shoot'em up... and I had no idea there was so much more involved. I:

Was called a traitor because I thought my wingman was an enemy. Repeatedly.

Had no idea what nav points or what autopilot was, so no clue where to go. Every time.

Died crashing into the station trying to land. A lot.

I was so angry I didn't play it for a few months. I finally decided to try it again, but I would read the manual this time. Everything made sense, and the rest is history. Now, even though my friends constantly make fun of me for it, every time I get a new game, I read the manual from cover to cover before attempting to play it.

Originally posted by scheherazade
wildweasel < that combo cycles over. once you go through them all it starts over again. i remember there being more than one wave of salthi, and stuff between them. so i know it repeats.
Sounds like a case of faulty memory on your part - WC1 doesn't even have the means to generate infinite waves. And it has a limit of 32 ships per mission, including the player and the friendlies.

hmm... then maybe it was something in wc2... donno then. i remember it being 2d and wave after wave, with a big mission objective.

-scheherazade

Wing Commander scary? I remember screaming and nearly falling out of my chair playind DooM. But WC? I will say it does draw the most emotion, but it's never scared me.

And yes, Needaham45, RTFM is a great invention. While I may not read it cover to cover on purchase (manuals make great bed time books, they bore you right to sleep), I do skim the important sections before installing and playing.

Originally posted by Ghost

Um...he he he. I like that. Were it me...hmmm. Yeah, I'd probably do the same thing.

Originally posted by LeHah
Scariest moment?

Either when the Cats closed the jump point in WCIII or when Tolwyn turned the Vesuvius around in IV. Both of those made me crap my pants.

If that happened to me in real life I would really be scared. But the enslavement ending had always struck a dark chord for me more than anything else. Silly, maybe, but I swear it's one of the scariest things I can remember from a game.

Originally posted by Needaham45
LOL!!!! That's really funny.

Maybe not the scariest... but deffinately most fustrating moment for me was when I got the first WC game I ever played... WC2. I was young and stupid... so I refused to read the manual. I was expecting your average space shoot'em up... and I had no idea there was so much more involved. I:

Yeah. I rented out the Super Nintendo version of Secret Missions and I don't think it came with a manual, and I was exactly the same. I think you can guess that's how I got the ending I got.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Wing Commander scary? I remember screaming and nearly falling out of my chair playind DooM. But WC? I will say it does draw the most emotion, but it's never scared me.

Funny, I was almost the opposite. Yes, I will admit to jumping at certain parts playing Doom, which I love also, and I did get just a little ill at a few of the more over the top death scenes. But I don't think it scared me for a prolonged period of time. Guess it was because I was older at the time.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Now that I think about it, my scariest Wing Commander moment was when I thought I'd lost my Voices of War.

It was scary when I thought I lost my ICIS... but then I realized I had mutiple ICISes... plus I found the one I thought I lost... so there you go...

Back