Scaling WC Fighters.

Even though the official size of those carriers is ok, in-game they are not.

It's not that the official LxWxH dimensions are small, but tale a look at the victory's hangar and it's proportion to people and fighters in it... It seem a lot smaller.

The intrepid is scary, take a look at the banshees that take off of it in the Instructor cutsecene, it seems like 5 of them are as big as the ship itself.

Delance said:
The Dragon could be considered a very small, fast, nimble destroyer.

The F4F Wildcat was about 11.58m W x 8.76m L x 2.81m T. It was an average to large sized fighter by WWII standards.

By comparison, the F-14 Tomcat is about 19m W (max span) x 18.6m L x 4.8m T.

40m is only 131.2 feet. That's only just over twice the 61 feet, 9 inches of the Tomcat. And the Tomcat itself is just over twice as long as the Wildcat.

That extra size is needed to carry around all that jet fuel that they burn like there's no tomorrow, or else it wouldn't have any range. And, in the typical rocket science problem, it needs gobs of thrust to tote those Phoenix missiles and it's RADAR, which means more fuel, which means more weight, which means more thrust, etc. lol

But, when you add in the much larger weapon systems of WC fighters, their extra computer equipment and sensors, extra armor, shield generator, life support systems, cloaking device (where applicable), power generation and engine systems, and in all probability - body output systems (let's not get too detailed there. lol), IDK, I would think it's reasonable for a fighter to be 131.2 feet long. Especially since it doesn't need to fly via lift and spends most of it's time in space (meaning there isn't the need for streamlining or keeping weight down, quite as much - not that mass is negligible in space either....).

I don't mean to be repetitive (honestly :D ) I just think the extra detail is relavent. :) )

Who cares? The people who made the games don't, or else they would make it all fit togheter.

Let's presume that
a) Capships are larger
b) Figthers are smaller
c) Both
d) Fighters use a molecular thing to get smaller inside carriers, like Megatron can turn into a small gun

The lengths aren't an issue because they don't make sense from a technical point of view - they don't make sense compared to the size of people in FMV segments. Pliers reaching into the bottom of a Lance implies that it isn't 40 meters long.

as far as i know there is no given length for the intrepid.

from the animation's view it would be 2/3th of the victory. but I do wonder where it would store it's fighters?

Like I said, it's almost like they mixed up 'feet' with 'meters', since it's hard to reconcile the size differences otherwise, at least between the people and the machines. :D

Mace said:
as far as i know there is no given length for the intrepid.

from the animation's view it would be 2/3th of the victory. but I do wonder where it would store it's fighters?

I want to say that TPoF mentions something about the lack of a true hangar deck on the Intrepid, not sure as I my copy is buried in a box in a storage unit while I'm at school. Someone wanna confirm or reject this?

The TPOF novel mentions that most of the fighters are kept in storage below decks, and thus can't be scrambled easily.

I would love to see where these decks are since the flight deck is basically the bottom of the ship....apparently very tight quarters...

Naw, even on the CIC picture you can see there's a substantial deck below the actual flight deck.

wc4lightcarrier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there's a bit more than I remember, must of been hell, I don't recall if they mention how they get the fighters up...a big elevator or if each ship has a lift of some kind...they'd also be pretty tightly packed in there...

Even if you use the BWS Tango model that still has the berthing section it still looks like an old dog that's been through one to many fights...

Doesn't it also have the crew berths? I remember seeing something on top where the Intrepid just has battlewounds...

No, that's an old rumor. One of the old Aces Club people made an Intrepid manual that had a giant flight tower... but the actual Tango is just "clean" where the bridge is supposed to be.

Back