Sam & Max 2 Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eder said:
That was Max. :)
Max was in Jedi Knight in several parts, one spot had his face making up the docking wall behind a ship you jump onto. Then there was one level where if you could get inside the bar, without cheating, he was there in NPC form and would follow you around blasting stormtroopers, unless you shot him in which case he would kill you.
But Sam did show up in one or two spots, albeit not as interactively as Max :)
Personally I think the best cameo they made was in Afterlife as punishment for using the money cheat too much. :cool:

Shaggy said:
Then there was one level where if you could get inside the bar, without cheating, he was there in NPC form and would follow you around blasting stormtroopers, unless you shot him in which case he would kill you.
Yep, that was in Barons Hed IIRC, just by the bridge. :p

That's odd. I never got him to help me, and I never shot him...

He also made an appearance in Dark Forces. On the ice world, if you go underneath where you start of and walk around the room the whole way, and then look at your map. The room is the shape of Max's head. Wait...is it? I can't remember if it looks that way naturally or if you have to type in "lacds" to see it.

Bandit LOAF said:
To the best of my knowledge, XWA was done entirely by Totally Games... Totally Games is Larry Hollands company which spun off from Lucas{variable} after the various flight sims and Star Wars games of the eighties and nineties. If Lucasarts takes any credit for XWA, it's because the game is based on the code base the Totally Games guys created while they were employees of Lucas proper.

Totally Games has actually been independent since the days of Secret Weapons, though they went through several names.

Now imagine if EA hired Totally to make a new WC game. Think about it, they already did Star Trek and Star Wars.

EDIT: I'm not claiming it's likely to happen. I'm just wondering about how good would it be. Probably different from the other games.

Bandit LOAF said:
Why, then they could make the same re-textured version of X-Wing *again*!

With non-variable music that plays the same song over and over again!

Hmm... what if we take out any good music, and instead of it play large segments of the original 'Star Wars' score right off the CD? You know, preventing the drive from doing anything else!

Also, more Admirals should defect... and as a surprise at the end we'll have a secret TIE Fighter with an extra solar panel! What are we up to now, 328 solar panels?

The TIE Defender was a bit much. 3 of those damned panels!

Yep, the "downgrade" of the music was stupid, and still some reviewers even "praised" it. The original TIE Fighter musical score is great. I specially like the music for victory that would play when you got the primary objectives achieved. I think fans called it "Imperial Navy Theme". I got MIDIs for nearly all TIE Fighter music, but not that particular one.

The post TIE Fighter textures were awful - X-Wing and TIE were beautiful in their simplicity... and then they decided to slop layer after layer of gunk onto them.

Even with these flaws, I really liked the xwing series. I found some of the later Tie-Fighter missions kinda lame - in the 46th expansion, around the 42387th mission, you had to destroy a SDI with a sling and paper clips.

But the Tie-Fighter original campaigns and the first exp. pack were really good.

And LOAF, in one of X-Wing's re-textured reissues, they made the "save-the-hospital-frigate" mission winnable!

The graphics on X-Wing vs TIE Fighter were not that bad. But they only got it right on X-Wing Alliance.

I understand the collected distaste for the retexturing but I really have affection for Alliance - even though the "Lets go from room to room inside the Death Star" level at the end was retarded.

On a more on-topic note, Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell expressed his displeasure and bafflement on mixnmojo.com today:

LucasArts' sudden decision to stop production on Sam & Max is mystifying. �Sam & Max was on schedule and coming together beautifully.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the writing, gameplay, hilarious animation and the gorgeous 3D world that Mike Stemmle's team has created. The rug has been pulled out from under this brilliant team who've so expertly retooled Sam & Max for the 21st century.

I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed especially for the team who have devoted so much effort and creativity to Sam & Max. It's a shame to think that their accomplishments, as well as the goodwill that has been growing in the gaming press toward this project, will all go to waste due to this shortsighted decision.

Thanks everyone, for continuing to make your feelings known.

--Steve Purcell

I met Purcell years ago at a comic convention. He was sitting there in a loud colored t-shirt hocking old pre-Lucasarts Sam And Max warez.

That's sad. I was looking forward to one of the few adventures coming out these days. Probably got canned in favor of some MMPORG-of-the-week or something.

Eh, I don't know if there's really anything disappointing about this decision. Given how small the adventure game market is today, any new adventure game from LucasArts today would either not sell well (and it would, most likely, suck - remember Escape from Monkey Island?), or it wouldn't be an adventure game at all, but rather some kind of action game - in which case, all the people waiting for an adventure game would hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back