Sam & Max 2 Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/85.html

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC" says Mike Nelson, Acting General Manager and VP of Finance and Operations. There is currently no plan to reduce staff.

Isn't spring wonderful?

That's terrible. I though Sam and Max were Lucasarts' flagship. They'd always show up as easter eggs in games.

Filler said:
That's terrible. I though Sam and Max were Lucasarts' flagship. They'd always show up as easter eggs in games.

Not since LucasArts became the "Star Wars, Star Wars, And Did We Say STAR WARS" company.

Yeah, I think Lucasarts oursouces the Rogue Squadron things to Factor Five. Not sure about the rest.

SWG was developed by someone else. Jedi Outcast also had help from an outside company. XWA was added to by Totally Games IIRC.

If you poke around the LucasArts website they have some promising looking titles coming out soon.

If you poke around the LucasArts website they have some promising looking titles coming out soon.

Actually, the LucasArts website lists only two games in development... a Star Wars FPS ("Republic Commando") and a cross-console third person Star Wars game ("Battlefront) title which allows players to "Fight on ten legendary planets and use a variety of weapons and vehicles, including X-wings, snowspeeders and AT-ST’s."). Wow! I haven't played this game before... approximately three hundred times. I hope they have Hoth!

Now, Lucas{variable}s Star Wars titles are generally of the highest calibur... and I may well enjoy one or both of these games... but it hurts like hell for anyone old enough to remember their incredibly innovative adventure games to see them reduced to being the Star Wars fectory. The fact that they promised us sequels for Sam and Max and Full Throttle and then cancelled both projects just rubs salt on the wounds.

XWA was added to by Totally Games IIRC.

To the best of my knowledge, XWA was done entirely by Totally Games... Totally Games is Larry Hollands company which spun off from Lucas{variable} after the various flight sims and Star Wars games of the eighties and nineties. If Lucasarts takes any credit for XWA, it's because the game is based on the code base the Totally Games guys created while they were employees of Lucas proper.

Bob McDob said:
Not since LucasArts became the "Star Wars, Star Wars, And Did We Say STAR WARS" company.

Sam was in Jedi Knight and Outlaws from my knowledge. Probably in a lot of other games too.

It's understandable that they will use other companies to produce Star Wars games for them to publish, and make a lot of money. But it's also unfortunate that they are basically not producing any games of their own. Lucasarts used to be one of the top game developers out there.

I invite people to fire off an email to PR@LUCASARTS.COM if you're looking to show your distaste for the cancelation of Sam And Max 2.

E-mailing your protest is the electronic equivalent of yelling at your TV because you want your baseball team to win. If you want to have some impact, send a nicely written physical letter.

Delance said:
I agree, let's fill their offices with letters demanding that Lucasarts make WC games! :D

Not a bad idea, since EA doesn't seem to care about Wing Commander. What was the last game? A re-release of Wing Commander: Prophecy on the GBA. Not that it's a bad game, mind you, it's quite good. But I don't see why they couldn't have taken the time to produce something new.

Maybe we should start a petition that would require all game companies to move from their current states to new states that have never had game companies and maybe whatever is adversely effecting their minds, smog, drugs, Sombra, so they wills stop making these dumb ass decisions!
Or maybe we should just inendate their offices with flaming bags of dog poop, with some rebbit pellets thrown in to get the point across.

I'm told the new EA offices are amazing... anyone who actually gets to move there should be very happy.

Max, dass Hasenetwas.

Sam is the detective dog and Max is the "rabbit" thing. :)
:( -> Cancelation of S&MII.

Another Why!? - case... :'-(

Why are people so surprised it got canceled after they killed the Full Throttle sequel they were working on?

This reminds me - I'll have to buy the cartoons off of Ebay soon. Some of them were REALLY funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back