Russian translation of WC4

Discussion in 'General Wing Commander Chat' started by ginger_tigra, Dec 6, 2013.

1. asso

asso Veteran Spaceman

Yes, the game interface appears almost translated, but I've noticed that the font type of the cockpit anwsers to conversations (i.e. 1:affirmative, 2:negative) is wrong, looking similar to arial or some sort of family windows fonts, and is not the same font type as the DOS version, which looks more "edgy" and squared corners. I'll take a screenshot to explain it better.
    Thanks for that!
    Maybe is something with an incorrect version of dxmci.dll?
    I can play it under VM if needed, and I don't want to overwhelm you with complains.
    Just pointing the bugs just in case it can be fixed.
    Thank you again for this impressive work.

2. ginger_tigra

ginger_tigra 2nd Lieutenant

Please make 4 shots:
    • 2 shots from Spanish version: menu of communication to wingman and "affirmative/negative";
    • same 2 shots from DVD or GOG version with Spanish language.tre.
    Also, I would take a look to Spanish wc4.exe and/or wc4w.exe and compare them to English ones.
    Also, if other .tre files (except movies1.tre) from Spanish first CD differ from English version, please send them to me too, so I can more thoroughly analyze game logic about accessing .tre files.
    From difference between English an Spanish language.tre I already have found that my algorithm of substituting translated IFFs to game is incorrect and needs to be remade nearly from scratch. Fortunately it's a relatively small piece of code and its remake will not take much time.

PS. Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that 1st ISO of game is already on mega.nz. I'll get it now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. asso

asso Veteran Spaceman

Hello.
    Here are the pictures, but I've noticed that the "strange" font is the same in the GoG version, using the english or the spanish language.tre
    [​IMG]

This is the GoG version. Maybe thats the way it should look but, for me is a very large font compared to the rest of the interface.
    [​IMG]

4. ginger_tigra

ginger_tigra 2nd Lieutenant

Yes, it is. :-( This font is very uncomfortable for me. For my translation, I've redesigned few fonts - comm menu (made it smaller), comm subtitles (small letters added), final credits:
    wc4-cockpit.png wc4-creds.png
    And about short inscriptions in cockpit, like "FUEL", "GUN", "AUTO": as I mentioned earlier I didn't found such fonts at all, and I suspect that they are not text strings but small pictures "glued" into big transparent picture of the cockpit. And I don't know how to find and translate them. :-(

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  5. asso

asso Veteran Spaceman

с новым годом @ginger_tigra
    Happy new year to all fans!
    How is it going?
    I'm having a lot of work now, but still available if you need some humble help!