Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Hi. I'm trying to run Privateer on an XP, but I'm getting the error message about the Protected mode driver not responding to EMS function calls, blahdiddy blah, and I've ready many of the answers to use to fix this. However, I can't even OPEN the config file to change Ems=true. Maybe I'm just stupid and need step by step instructions? I put a CONFIG.NT file in by the priv.exe, but I don't know how to edit that, or the PRIV CFG file. I can look in them from a notepad, but the PRIV CFG file just says =K:priv.tre. If any of this is making sense at all, I'd appreciate your help.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong angle. Privateer will not run natively in XP. You need to use a dos emulator (Dosbox). You will do most of your configuration in the dosbox.conf file included. That is where you will change ems to true. We have tech walkthrough of how to get it all set up here: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p1

Last edited by a moderator:
blaaah.

It says in DOSBox that it can't find the CD, but how do I tell it where to find it?

It says in DOSBox that it can't find the CD, but how do I tell it where to find it?

What can't find the CD? Did you follow the walkthrough? Did you mount your CD-rom correctly? Alternately, you can just copy the contents of the CD to your harddrive and just mount that instead too.

blaaah

What can't find the CD? Did you follow the walkthrough? Did you mount your CD-rom correctly? Alternately, you can just copy the contents of the CD to your harddrive and just mount that instead too.

No, like I mean, i have privateer installed on my compy, and I've mounted the cd-rom drive I put the cd in, but when I try to run it, it says that it can't find it. I guess my real question is what drive does privateer use/look for to play?

No, like I mean, i have privateer installed on my compy, and I've mounted the cd-rom drive I put the cd in, but when I try to run it, it says that it can't find it. I guess my real question is what drive does privateer use/look for to play?

It sounds like your CD rom isn't mounted correctly or something. If you installed the game outside of dosbox you will have to make sure the drive letter you are assigning the CD rom matches that from which you intalled it (since you can tell dosbox to see your H: drive as D: if you really want to).

Can you post your dosbox.conf settings here so we can have a look?

Also, you can change the drive letter in the PRIV.CFG file that should be in your 'PRIVATER' directory to whatever your actual CD rom is or to wherever on your harddrive you installed the game.

Personally I find it easiest just to copy the CD to the harddrive and not bother with the CD. Just run the install file from there.

blaah!

Ok, I got all the cd stuff figured out. However, I cannot get this game to run for the life of me. Now, when I try to run it, it says a bunch of memory stats, then:

Fatal error.

Error code: 1209-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

If anyone can tell me what that means, please do.

blaaaaaaaaah

Actually, I give up. I'm gonna go play on my Tandy now. With my Windows 3.1. Who needs XP anyways?

Ok, I got all the cd stuff figured out. However, I cannot get this game to run for the life of me. Now, when I try to run it, it says a bunch of memory stats, then:

Fatal error.

Error code: 1209-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

If anyone can tell me what that means, please do.

What version of dosbox are you using? Post your dosbox.conf file here so we can more easily help with this. Also, you did enable EMS in the config file?

Blaah ditty

Heres my dosbox config. Is this what you wanted?

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=false
windowresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=64

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

core=normal
cycles=10000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048

prebuffer=mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3

ultradir=C:\pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

xms=true
ems=false
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

ipx=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
Mount c c:\windows\privater
Mount k k:\ -t cdrom
c:

I can't edit the .conf file. I have been opening it with notepad, but when I try to save it, it can't create the file. Please instruct me.

I should mention that I have the game up and running, but wanted to enlarge it (it stays small even if I go to full screen) and slow it down. It runs great on my desktop (p4 3ghz running windows xp) but is running to fast for me to handle on my core2 duo laptop. I can play it, but the enemy ships are just too fast, wanted to slow the game down a little.

I can't edit the .conf file. I have been opening it with notepad, but when I try to save it, it can't create the file. Please instruct me.

First, check that your dosbox.conf file isn't set to read-only.

I should mention that I have the game up and running, but wanted to enlarge it (it stays small even if I go to full screen) and slow it down. It runs great on my desktop (p4 3ghz running windows xp) but is running to fast for me to handle on my core2 duo laptop. I can play it, but the enemy ships are just too fast, wanted to slow the game down a little.

You need to set the scaler modes to get dosbox to resize the game properly.

Thanks. I had already checked that it wasn't read only, but I'd forgotten that vista defualts to not even allowing admin accounts to change system files, so I went in and edited permissions and it worked great. It took a couple tries to figure out that starting in full screen didn't work, but it's working great now.

Help!

I have windows xp and when I play WC on dosbox it's too fast. how do i slow it down without slowing down my other games.

if you use ctrl-F11 and ctrl-F12 (I think), you can slow down and speed up the "cpu" in dosbox while it is running. if WC is too fast, take it down a bit

Hi! I was wondering if you guys could help me. I downloaded the game from a site but I can't play it on DOSBox. It gives the following error message:

'Memory: Original Current Used
'Near 29516 28986 530
'Far 373548 338204 35344
'High 7240448 7214416 26032

Fatal error.

Error code: D002-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

And I have WinXP.
I appreciate all the help that I can get.

1. THE GAME is a bit few information to help you.
2. You won't get support for a pirated game at all, period. Especially as many problems are due to a faulty copy.

Back