Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Hey Privateer fans,
I've recently tried to get Righteous Fire to work with Dosbox and all is well except when I start up RF, I can't load an existing saved game file (can't select the "Load" option, and if I choose "New"...I can't do anything. Any thoughts on this? All files are saved in the same file, the game starts up (with sound and speech). I am using DosBox V.72.
Thanks for any help. Please let me know of existing thread if it exists (I tried to look for one).
-Bigleedog

Did you install the game to the harddrive? It could be you haven't mounted the harddrive in dosbox correctly.

All the files are stored in the same place and Privateer runs just fine and can find the saved games...it's just RF that can't seem to. I'm sure it's probably just a silly error that I'm not thinking about.

I've got a Saitek X52 with Dosbox in 4axis mode and Privateer thinks I've got 2 joysticks, calibrates them both, and then neither one works in-game. How do I get it to see only 1 joystick?

So no one has ever had or heard of having the problem of RF not being able to locate saved game files?...it must be something dumb that I'm doing then.

I'm having the problem with WC2 where I can play the game fine but there's no sound whatsoever.

I noticed that the question was kind of answered earlier, but I'm not quite sure what to do (or how to find the loadfix.)

I'm having the problem with WC2 where I can play the game fine but there's no sound whatsoever.

I noticed that the question was kind of answered earlier, but I'm not quite sure what to do (or how to find the loadfix.)

No sound means you probably set up the IRQ wrong or didn't run the installer after copying the game to the harddrive. Remeber that dosbox defaults to IRQ 7 so the game needs be set up accordingly.

When you install the game, copy the Wing2 directory off the CD to where you want dosbox to see it. Don't worry about the files in the root directory on the CD. Then go to the directory on your harddrive and run 'winstall' to set up sound.

Wing Commander 2 is now crashing within the first few missions of the game.
if it's at the end of the second mission, launching the game with the loadfix command should do the trick, though dosbox 0.72 seems to have issues with it sometimes still

I did that, but it seems as if it cancelled out the speech pack. I beat the second mission, so do I still need to open with loadfix on the 3rd mission and onwards? Or can I open it normally with the speech pack intact?

The loadfix instructions are at the end of https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc2

You can use a lower number (or no number) to adjust the amount of memory reserved. It's possible there's nothing wrong though. The speech pack only gives you the voices in flight. The game's cutscene voices are only in the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The loadfix instructions are at the end of https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc2

You can use a lower number (or no number) to adjust the amount of memory reserved. It's possible there's nothing wrong though. The speech pack only gives you the voices in flight. The game's cutscene voices are only in the beginning.

When I play with the speech pack, it crashes everytime I use autopilot, the nav window, or, even after just flying, it will eventually crash. (This seems to happen on whatever mission I play besides the very first.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to run old Wing Commander games such as the Kilrathi Saga on the Mac OS X system?

Possibly. Some macs have emulation for windows programs. Sound hardware compatability might be an issue, but I don't have a MAC so I can't try it myself.

config

Hi. I'm trying to run Privateer on an XP, but I'm getting the error message about the Protected mode driver not responding to EMS function calls, blahdiddy blah, and I've ready many of the answers to use to fix this. However, I can't even OPEN the config file to change Ems=true. Maybe I'm just stupid and need step by step instructions? I put a CONFIG.NT file in by the priv.exe, but I don't know how to edit that, or the PRIV CFG file. I can look in them from a notepad, but the PRIV CFG file just says =K:priv.tre. If any of this is making sense at all, I'd appreciate your help.

Back