Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

Hey guys I just got dos box and have a question I couldn't find answered else where. I installed WC2 from the floppy, and the game freezes up when the first Kilrathi starts talking. I here “I was” (actually he doesn’t get all of “was” out) and then the game freezes. If I hit esc fast enough I can skip past it and then everything works fine, any ideas?

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I installed the game on an old windows ME comp that let me get at an MS dos prompt I then copied all the files to my XP machine. I am running DOSBox 0.70. I think I picked a different sound option, than the sound blaster. Would that do it?

*edit

I went in and changed it to the sound blaster card, I now have no speech but the game works. I would like the speech but its not important. Thanks for your help

Yeah, absolutely. It's very easy to cause a problem by picking certain sound settings in the installer. If you're using DOSBox, then go with Soundblaster and the configuration that matches. You can run the installer right from within DOSBox and do everything on your Windows XP computer.

Thanks, I got it running with the speech now. Thank you for your help, I was going crazy trying to make it work.

WC3 in dosbox error

I'm having trouble getting the dos version or WC3 playing. I have gotten to work before, but on a different computer.

Anyways, it installs just fine. However, when I try to play, it gives me this error message:

Wing Commander III could not startup your digital sound card. Please check the install settings and make sure they are correct for the card installed in your machine. This can also be caused by a read error on the CD-ROM.

Now I used the settings listed back on the first page of this post (post#12 I believe). Is this just an error in my settings that I need to mess with, or is it really just not liking my sound card? Also, I have Windows Vista. Could that have some impact on it?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble getting the dos version or WC3 playing. I have gotten to work before, but on a different computer.

Anyways, it installs just fine. However, when I try to play, it gives me this error message:

Now I used the settings listed back on the first page of this post (post#12 I believe). Is this just an error in my settings that I need to mess with, or is it really just not liking my sound card? Also, I have Windows Vista. Could that have some impact on it?

Thanks.

The first thing to remember is that dosbox defaults to IRQ 7. Make sure that you are chosing the correct audio setttings when setting up the sound options in the installer.

Yep, I just double checked that a couple times to be sure.

Oh well. If worst comes to worst, I'll just install wc3 on my old computer. it worked great through dosbox on there.

I actually just got it to work a little while ago. I loaded it up through DFend, and now it works. What's weird is when it first loads, it still comes up with the soundcard error. After I press any key to continue, it loads again and works this time. Pretty weird, but I don't want to mess with it and make it not work.

But yeah, WC3 definitely looks great on my new laptop.

Save Game path on WC3

Hi everybody. Just found this place a week or so ago (great site!) as I was trying to get my old WC3 and Prophecy games back up and running.
Anyways here's my problem and hope someone can help.

I have 2 copies of WC3, the original dos CD's and the slightly newer "CD classics" series w/ the gold border around the box. Can't get either to work. I've downloaded the latest DosBox (7 I believe), read and followed the tutorial, get thru the joystick calibration, video and sound options, but when I get to the 'save game path directory' option, anything I input (even the default) comes back with a red error box saying (paraphrasing) "cannot create save game directory. Make sure you have not used any false characters"...etc..etc... I'm at work now so I can't give it to you word for word.
That's as far as I can get.
BTW, I'm running WinXP service pack 2.
Wondering if I'm doing the mounting right, main hard drive is C:, also have a D:, and an external F:, my CD drive is R:.

I was really exicited when I found this site, and the possibility of finally being able to play WC3 on the computer for the first time after literally years of playing WC3 on the 3DO about a billion times, and WC4 on the PS. Dying to play this with my Saitek X45 flight system.

I'm not the most savvy person with a computer, so please bear this in mind with any responses.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

I have 2 copies of WC3, the original dos CD's and the slightly newer "CD classics" series w/ the gold border around the box. Can't get either to work. I've downloaded the latest DosBox (7 I believe), read and followed the tutorial, get thru the joystick calibration, video and sound options, but when I get to the 'save game path directory' option, anything I input (even the default) comes back with a red error box saying (paraphrasing) "cannot create save game directory. Make sure you have not used any false characters"...etc..etc... I'm at work now so I can't give it to you word for word.
That's as far as I can get.
BTW, I'm running WinXP service pack 2.
Wondering if I'm doing the mounting right, main hard drive is C:, also have a D:, and an external F:, my CD drive is R:.

It does sound like the harddrive isn't mounted right. The line for mounting your harddrive should read "mount c: c:\"

IF you have further trouble, follow the walkthrough here: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc3 If you do all that and still have trouble let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does sound like the harddrive isn't mounted right. The line for mounting your harddrive should read "mount c: c:\"

IF you have further trouble, follow the walkthrough here: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc3 If you do all that and still have trouble let us know and we'll see what we can do.

That was it. I was trying to mount it on the external HD, and somehow got something mixed up. Got it running now, movie scenes are a little choppy, buy manageable. Only other thing is I'm having trouble getting the Saitek X45 flight sysrem to work with it. Still have some things to try yet with it.

Thank you for the prompt assistance!

.....and sorry for that double post. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saitek flight control

Upon further review, I don't think I need the joystick patch, it looks like the problem was with the stick itself, which I have now re-installed. It boasts the ability to be able to assign any keyboard command to a button or axis (axis is a little tricky, converting digital throttle control to simulate analog), which was glitchy before, but upon re install it is working better. Now I just need to create a new profile for it, program it and hopefully be good to go. Choosing which commands to assign to the sticks buttons and which to leave on the keyboard is taking longer than the actual programming.

joystick in armada CD version

I recently played through Privateer, and Privateer RF, using Dosbox 0.70 and had almost no problem except setting my joystick to 3axis in the config. So I am now trying to play WC Armada and I can run the game and even play (although without a joystick) but not using a joystick in a flight sim just feels wrong. My problem is even after i calibrate the joystick in options, once i move any direction in flight the ship always starts turning down and left, Ive tried recalibrating and its still the same, Ive looked around for post with the same problem but cant find an identical one. I would greatly welcome any help or tips. Thanks in advance.

system specs
Win XP SP2
Athlon X2 4400 cpu
2 gig ddr ram
2 x 120 gig HDDs
2 x PNY 7800gt 512 mb vid cards
SB Audigy 2 zs sound card
- Wing Commander Armada CDROM
- DOSBox v. 0.70

guy from post #316

Sorry for using unregister forgot i had a login... to add to info my joystick is a MS SideWinder USB 3 axis 8 button.

thanks

Thanks Chris,

I can now get the joystick to calibrate, by changing timed from =true to =false seems to have done it. Its still not perfect but very playable.

Playing privateer 2???

Howdy........how to play privateer 2 "classic" under win xp? my comp is 133 MHz with 256 Mhz memory ;-p........

Back