Run All Old WC Games in DOSBox Walkthrough

To run WC4 without the installer, launch the WC4.exe on the HDD. I had a whole bunch of problems with WC4, I found the best way to run it is through windows not dosbox. Download the patch from the wcnews files page and install it. After your finished go to the dir where your install is and change every .exe file to windows 98 compat mode, I then made a short cut for WC4W.EXE and added -true_color to it to get 24bit movies..;)

I can't install this WC4 with Windows though. Everytime I try it without DosBox it freezes up and won't let me do anything. DosBox is the only way I've had any success with it at all.

I can't install this WC4 with Windows though. Everytime I try it without DosBox it freezes up and won't let me do anything. DosBox is the only way I've had any success with it at all.

The trick is to install it in dosbox, then apply the patch and run the game in windows.

How do I do that though? Every time (except once) that I've tried copying the files onto the hard drive I've gotten an error message (the same as the one in the pic I posted). Though I do have a WC4 folder there regardless, so maybe they copied regardless of the error message. Isn't there a way I can run it through DOS off of the CD without having to revert back to the installer each time?

EDIT- Nevermind I just got it working. Perfectly too. I don't say this to too many people but I LOVE YOU GUYS! If we were in a bar I'd buy the entire CIC a drink. That's right, the entire CIC. You guys rock.

How do I do that though? Every time (except once) that I've tried copying the files onto the hard drive I've gotten an error message (the same as the one in the pic I posted). Though I do have a WC4 folder there regardless, so maybe they copied regardless of the error message. Isn't there a way I can run it through DOS off of the CD without having to revert back to the installer each time?

EDIT- Nevermind I just got it working. Perfectly too. I don't say this to too many people but I LOVE YOU GUYS! If we were in a bar I'd buy the entire CIC a drink. That's right, the entire CIC. You guys rock.

That's great that you got it working. But what was it that fixed it? It kind of sounded like either the harddrive or cd-rom was mounted wrong.

Falcon988 said:
The problem is this however. I can only run WC4 -through- the installer in DOS. When I finish installing it it gives me the option to "Save Settings and Run WC4" and that's the only time I'm able to play it. The walkthrough on the Tech Support page states that I can reload WC4 after installing by mounting the D: drive and typing wc4, but everytime I do this it takes me back to the installer.

That was a mistake. It's been changed to direct people to go to the hard drive installation folder and type WC4.

i dont even know how to run a game i already have on my computer ! with dos box of course! sum1 can help me ?

Strange Joystick Glitch

Allright, I have 2 PSOne USB Controllers installed and I was trying to play WC1, but something strange happened. The calibration is just wrong and keeps going up and left all the way. If I move the stick, the cursor will movie, but if I let it be it goes up and left again. It is calibrated on the Control Panel, and works fine on other games. I wonder if DOS WC1 has some sort of in-game calibration thing.

EDIT: The joystick works with Priateer, but the buttons are all strange. Maybe I should just disable the thing. I have a Sidewinder somehwere, anyway.

IIRC DOS WC1 and WC2 don't really have an in-game calibration screen. All you could do is to leave the joystick centered when the game starts.

Try setting to a different DOSBox CPU cycle before starting the game - you should notice different behaviour in the cursor drift.

Thanks, but the drift is the same, changing the cycle just changed the speed of the cursor. What's nagging is that I remember having the a very similar problem with it all those years ago with some ancient joystic. DOSBox really is a time tunnel!

What happens if you toggle between the normal/dynamic DOSBox core types?
If that doesn't help, it's probably more expedient to try the Sidewinder instead.

I think the CPU requirements of WC1 is relatively low that it wouldn't have a great impact on joystick stability.

Solely for the sake of curiorsity, does your PSOne USB Controller require drivers to work or did Windows configure it by itself?

On the calibration screen in Windows, how much does the controller jitter when it is left in the center position?

Solely for the sake of curiorsity, does your PSOne USB Controller require drivers to work or did Windows configure it by itself?

They are two actual PSOne Controllers plugged on an USB converter. I think they use the Windows default driver for the 4 Axis Gamepad. It works quite well for something not made for the PC.

On the calibration screen in Windows, how much does the controller jitter when it is left in the center position?

Rock-solid. However, there's something odd: when I calibrate them, even if the analog stick is off, the cursor is on the top left! When the screen is over, its centered, but it's on the top left when the calibration starts.

However, WC1 is the only game that this happens. Maybe that's the problem. Interesting.

I am brand new at this and have a limited understanding of the computer, but have managed to download the game and get it running, for the most part. Now that it's running I get no sound and the game runs a thousand miles an hour. Any suggestions, in simple terms, on how to slow it down and get the sound to work.

They are two actual PSOne Controllers plugged on an USB converter. I think they use the Windows default driver for the 4 Axis Gamepad. It works quite well for something not made for the PC.

Do you mean you have more than one usb controler plugged in when trying to play wc1? What happens when you make sure only one game controler of any type - USB as well as any old analog ones - is plugged in at a time?

I am brand new at this and have a limited understanding of the computer, but have managed to download the game and get it running, for the most part. Now that it's running I get no sound and the game runs a thousand miles an hour. Any suggestions, in simple terms, on how to slow it down and get the sound to work.

Besides that downloading any full WC game is illegal this is also most likely the cause of the sound problem as most versions out there are broken in one way or another.

Do you mean you have more than one usb controler plugged in when trying to play wc1? What happens when you make sure only one game controler of any type - USB as well as any old analog ones - is plugged in at a time?

Well, I have one USB adapter with two controls. DOSBox only uses one of them, tought. It's tricky to fly with the PSOne controls, so I'm just using the keyboard.

Well, I have one USB adapter with two controls. DOSBox only uses one of them, tought. It's tricky to fly with the PSOne controls, so I'm just using the keyboard.

Obviously windows recognizes two controlers or you wouldn't set it up that way. The whole point of usb is that you can daisy-chain devices and put usb hubs on one port. What happens to the calibration when only *ONE* controler is plugged in at a time? Do you still get the wierd calibration issues in WC1?

Back